ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: A Slik Nikon

Pentax Forum Moderator

A Slik Nikon

It's here!!!! I finally got my tripod this morning but didn't really get to play with it until late this afternoon. Wow...it's neat...The first shot is the tripod with the Nikon sitting atop it. I tried to use the ceiling just to show how tall it was....fully extended, the bottom of the camera is about at the top of my head!!!
    The second shot is the Slik with what I have been using since before Christmas, when I broke my Vivitar. Even though the Vivitar was quite a bit taller than the little one, it didn't even come close to the heighth of the Slik!!! hehe...
    Sorry for the quality, don't know what's going on with the Kodak. Maybe it was jealous!!! :-/ hehe
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Slik Nikon-slik-nikon-1-pr.jpg   A Slik Nikon-slik-nikon-2-pr.jpg  
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: A Slik Nikon

I'm a little guy I'd need a step ladder to use that thing the way you got it set up. I have a couple like the little fellow in the back of the camera case that I never used and can't even give away.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Smile Re: A Slik Nikon

Congratulations on your new tripod Ken!

I was delighted when I got my Bogen 3011. It is substaintial, solid, and the perfect height for me. A good tripod can really make a big difference in your photography. I'm glad you found one that fits you so well.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-02-2006 at 12:26 PM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Very nice! I also got a new tripod for Christmas, a Velbon Sherpa 250R

Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Wink Re: A Slik Nikon

Talkin' about tripods, I picked up a Bogen 3068 last year at a garage sale for $20.
    It's used for video cameras, and the guy who sold it to me works for a local public access tv station, and they were getting rid of some of their stuff. It's a heavyweight (probably 20-30 lbs), but man is it solid. Mounting my D70 on it looks weird, but I can pan and tilt, and those things go around $400 new, so I consider it a real bargain.

I'm jealous of your being able to make a decision! The more I research for new tripods, the harder time I have deciding. Right now, for this moment, at this minute, I THINK that my choice is the Bogen 3021BPRO with 488RC2 head. But that's only for right now!

In the meantime, my Velbon DF60 is working just fine! For $50USD, it's not pretty, but it holds up to 15# and I can live with it a while longer while I struggle with my indecisiveness!

Enjoy your new slik!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Talking Hey D....

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    I'm jealous of your being able to make a decision! The more I research for new tripods, the harder time I have deciding. Right now, for this moment, at this minute, I THINK that my choice is the Bogen 3021BPRO with 488RC2 head. But that's only for right now!

It sounds to me like you've made a decision, and I agree that it's a very nice one! I say go for it!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    I THINK that my choice is the Bogen 3021BPRO with 488RC2 head. But that's only for right now!
    I have this exact setup and I LOVE it! Pull the trigger on that one and you wont be dissapointed.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Now you see why I have the short column

I assure you that the 700 will hold anything a set of 3021 bogen legs will and the head is as sturdy as the 3047 bogen too

The round release plates are a mixed blessing too. easy to attact , but perfect straight forward isn't always perfect.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Now you see why I have the short column

I assure you that the 700 will hold anything a set of 3021 bogen legs will and the haed is as sturdy as the 3047 bogen too

The round release plates are a mixed blessing too. easy to attact , but perfect straight forward isn't always perfect.
    hehe...yeah...I plan on getting a short column...I really like this thing and although I don't know anything about the bogen...I can tell you, this thing is sturdy!!!.

I agree with you on the round plate, but as you say, it is a mixed blessing. While trying to shoot that swan yesterday, I noticed that if I forgot to loosen my pan knob, at least I could still turn the camera when the bird moved. But I have also noticed that sometimes it would be nice to have it fixed for dead-on placement.
    I'm very excited with it!!!
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Is your release plate not tight or is it turning in the head?

Once the plate is tight, it shouldn't spin in the head after clamping it down. Since you have a plastic (looking atleast) camera, maybe cranking the plate down isn't a good idea. You would have the same problem with most plates too though.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Is your release plate not tight or is it turning in the head?

Once the plate is tight, it shouldn't spin in the head after clamping it down. Since you have a plastic (looking atleast) camera, maybe cranking the plate down isn't a good idea. You would have the same problem with most plates too though.
    You are correct Paul...I didn't have it tight, so I found out earlier today. I was at the Museum, and I had it tight, but I was trying to pan around and had to constantly loosen and tighten different adjusters...I turned the camera just right once and it loosened up I found I kind of like it loose, for now, at least until the tripod knobs become 2nd nature to me. Oh but I tell you...with the lighting I was shooting in today...I was really glad I had a good tripod. Very poor lighting in this museum. Most of my shots came out with a strange hue, but I was shooting in NEF...so I can adjust the wb and most are coming out ok...
    As for the camera, it's supposed to be a metal body and it feels like it is. But, I wouldn't crank on it too much anyway. I used to have to re thread spark plug holes after our young tech school grads would strip out the threads. I learned early on...don't over tighten!!!!! hehe..
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information