ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

First photos - 24-105 lens

I finally got a couple of chances to check out my new 24-105 lens. These aren't the greatest composition, but this lens is all I had hoped. The color rendition is awesome. Here are some of the pictures. The last one (window) has some noise I used ISO800 due to lack of light.

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First photos - 24-105 lens-house1.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-paintint.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-bus.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-windowint.jpg  

Liz

2 indoor shots

These were shot with available light
    flowers
    flowers cropped
    cat cropped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First photos - 24-105 lens-rose.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-rosecrop.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-jeremyclose.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: 2 indoor shots

Hey Liz,

These look great! You're right the colors are fantastic. It's always a delight getting a new lens.

I always love your shots of New York. You always see it with a different eye than most others Looking forward to more!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Thanks Rick,

I appreciate the nice thoughts! Are we going to NYC this year?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Liz,

These look great! You're right the colors are fantastic. It's always a delight getting a new lens.

I always love your shots of New York. You always see it with a different eye than most others Looking forward to more!

Rick

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Unfortunately, no, I have moved too far away to make to NYC this year. However, I am planning on setting up a Phoenix/Southwest gathering later this year, maybe next. Could you make it?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Unfortunately, no, I have moved too far away to make to NYC this year. However, I am planning on setting up a Phoenix/Southwest gathering later this year, maybe next. Could you make it?

Rick

How about we do it in Utah!

Good stuff Liz! Glad to see you are getting out to shoot!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz,

They are much better than the other lens you had, I think that it is a winner. Will be good to see a series of say the same shot and different focal lengths using the lowest f/stop as well. But these are nice images, even the one at ISO800 looks really good colour wise that is.

Re: First photos - 24-105 lens

Liz, those are some great shots with the new lens. What body are you using?

Looks like you got your self a winner there. Sure is good to see you posting some pictures. I always love seeing what you come up with.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Arizona - wow is that a great idea. I can't make any promises - money and time, ya know! But when you make a definite time and a final decision and post it - we'll see.

Liz

Rick

Liz

Thanks Brian. Yes, it's been a long time! I HAVE to do more photography after getting this lens! And seeing the results is a good incentive.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    How about we do it in Utah!

Good stuff Liz! Glad to see you are getting out to shoot!
    Brian

Liz

Thanks Peter.

I actually did a small series with the house I posted, but deleted them already - I don't keep things around if I don't need a print. I just wanted to test the lens at different focal lengths, etc. and I did it with the house. When I saw the results, I was happy and deleted all but the one you see. I also did some focal lengths with the painted building in NY. Here are a couple - not sure if you can tell anything by these though.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Liz,

They are much better than the other lens you had, I think that it is a winner. Will be good to see a series of say the same shot and different focal lengths using the lowest f/stop as well. But these are nice images, even the one at ISO800 looks really good colour wise that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First photos - 24-105 lens-paintint1.jpg   First photos - 24-105 lens-paintint2.jpg  

Noooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I actually did a small series with the house I posted, but deleted them already - I don't keep things around if I don't need a print.
    Say it isn't so, Liz! Don't throw away image files unless they're really bad - out-of-focus, badly exposed, missed the subject, etc. You never know when you'll find them valuable months or even years later. It's better to invest in more storage than to later discover an image you thought was unimportant is very valuable. Please start saving everything.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

What body are you using?

I have the Rebel 350XT which is a great camera for me.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Liz, those are some great shots with the new lens. What body are you using?

Liz

Thanks OT. Yes, I am very pleased with the lens. I first purchased it before the "recall" due to a significant flare problem. I returned it before the 14 day policy expired so had no problem getting my refund. Canon replaced all lenses with brand new production pieces which was great - then you were assured you weren't getting anything refurbished. It continues to be in great demand and difficult to find, but I managed to get one. I did sell my 85mm/f1.8 and am selling the 35mm/f2.0 to help pay for it.

I love this lens. The color blows me away to be honest. And it's sharp. It's a bit heavy, but I've had no problem so far. I carried it around in NYC for about 6 hours and surprisingly didn't have a back problem. However, the Rebel XT is the lightest available DSLR.

Thanks for the nice comments about the images.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Looks like you got your self a winner there. Sure is good to see you posting some pictures. I always love seeing what you come up with.

Liz

Re: Noooooooo!

It's better to invest in more storage than to later discover an image you thought was unimportant is very valuable. Please start saving everything.

Hmmmmm.....you got me thinking at any rate! I have a new hard drive I haven't installed yet. The old one has taken to a new "sleep mode" and needs to be shaken or smacked to wake up. Very strange.....but I haven't been using it lately as I'm afraid it won't wake up one of these times. I'm going to get the new one installed next week.

Liz

Oh Liz, lovely shots. I love the cat and the delta building. That is one heck of a lens you got there.

Keep it up!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Great shots Liz and that lens is something, the color you get is amazing. I like the building in the first group then the color and detail in the second picture of the second group is great... Hope to see more...

Liz

Thanks for checking out the pictures and the nice comments. One of my new year resolutions is to schedule in photography time each week - it's tougher in the winter. I hope to post more too - this lens gives me the motivation.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Great shots Liz and that lens is something, the color you get is amazing. I like the building in the first group then the color and detail in the second picture of the second group is great... Hope to see more...

Liz

Thanks Almo,
    I appreciate your kind comments. BTW, that is Jeremy. We also have a girlie cat "Molly" but she runs when she sees the camera.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Oh Liz, lovely shots. I love the cat and the delta building. That is one heck of a lens you got there.

Keep it up!

Liz

Thanks for checking out the pictures. Yes, I love the color! This is what helped me make the final decision.

I hope to schedule some photography time each week this year - New Year resolutions. This lens is giving me the motivation - so I should have more to post. It's more challenging in the winter to get out.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV

Liz,

I always like your images, and the new lens certainly suits you very well. I love that range because you can do landscape and portraits all in the same lens.

Happy New Years and thank you for sharing these images. They have a fresh prespective.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

I like the rose shots. i think they benefitted very well from the available lighting. It's very soft lighting, which definitely reflects the "rose mood" if you get what I mean. Looks like a great lens! I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

Liz

Thanks for the comments. I'm amazed at this lens. I LOVE the color - and would probably get it for that alone. It was a lot of money for me, so I intend to keep it for a long time. Besides I'm selling a couple other lenses to help pay for it. However, with the focal length, I don't need them.

With these photos, I was quickly looking for some subjects just to determine how the sharpness is, color rendition, focus, etc. works. I hope to get out again this week. It's challenging for me to get out, but one of my resolutions for this year is to schedule some time each week for photography.

Thank you Loren. It's always good to see you around. I hope you and your wife are doing well.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Liz,

I always like your images, and the new lens certainly suits you very well. I love that range because you can do landscape and portraits all in the same lens.

Happy New Years and thank you for sharing these images. They have a fresh prespective.

Loren

Liz

Thanks for viewing the images - and for the comments. I'm happy with the way it handles available light especially since it is an F4 lens. The lighting that day was "iffy" so I was satisfied with the results. I had gotten a few sharper images previously, but don't know where they are at the moment. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    I like the rose shots. i think they benefitted very well from the available lighting. It's very soft lighting, which definitely reflects the "rose mood" if you get what I mean. Looks like a great lens! I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

Thread Information