ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

First go @ portrait shots?

My cousin asked me to take some shots of her daughter for some modeling stuff. Comments from the portrait folks would be more than welcome.
    Jimmy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First go @ portrait shots?-img_8352_1-copy.jpg   First go @ portrait shots?-img_8357_1-copy.jpg   First go @ portrait shots?-jdb_8655_1-copy.jpg   First go @ portrait shots?-jdb_8691_1-copy.jpg   First go @ portrait shots?-jdb_8702_1-copy.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: First go @ portrait shots?

Hi, Jimmy!
    I'm do portraits once in a while and am not an expert for sure but I do notice a few things here.
    #1 I like the pose and look. I'm having trouble with the picnic table and the apparent bird residue. Might be able to get rid of it with the spot healing brush
    #2 Its cute but just doesn't appeal to me. Wish the grass and leaves were more out of focus and its not a real attractive tree. The down angle is a bit too severe for my taste.
    #3 That's a nice one. I don't know if the portrait pros will approve of the backdrop but its ok for me.
    #4 I like how you got her motion frozen and the apparent youthful energy is apparent especially with her flying hair. Didn't it hurt her feet to run on those rocks with soft soled boots?
    #5. Again the angle seems too severe for me. And of course I have to notice that the important rock that she is leaning on is going off frame.

I also notice that her skin tones change from shot to shot and #2 seems really pale and to a lesser degree so does #5.

I wish I could find such a cooperative model.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    My cousin asked me to take some shots of her daughter for some modeling stuff. Comments from the portrait folks would be more than welcome.
    Jimmy
    Great job Jimmy! I especially like the first one and the last one.

The second one has a funny look to it. I'm thinking you used too wide a lens for this one. Her face is a little long, and her legs are too short. Next time you might want to try a longer lens, and maybe a different angle.

I'm sure your cousin was pleased. Great shots overall.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm not a portrait person, but I think you did a great job. I love the eyes in that first one.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I think they are great but I do think that on #2 and #5 the angle is way to much, I think an "horizontal" approach will suit much better. Cute girl BTW pretty photogenic.

Liz

I really like the last one! Her beautiful smile, her natural position - and the fact that she is supported by a heart-shaped rock. Did you notice that? At least, it looks heart-shaped to me..........

Liz

Fantastic work.

This was your first go??

Thank you all for the comments! I will have to use the W/A lens at a different angle. Make sure the picnic table is clean. It was a learning experience for sure!
    Frog her feet didn't bother her, she made about 4 passes at me. The outdoor shots were taken at Lake Tapps, so I was thinking of Frog as I drove past the cutoff for Frog's town to and from the shoot!
    Jimmy

Thread Information