Fireworks Tips

Printable View

• 07-10-2006, 07:35 AM
    photophorous
    2 Attachment(s)
    Re: Fireworks Tips
    Hi Seb,

Your instructions were so simple I did it with a Holga. :p Actually, that's because it was raining and I didn't want to pull out my D70. My vantage point sucked, so these are cropped...a lot. :D

Paul
  • 07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
    Sebastian
    Not bad for a Holga Paul. :)

Looks like you could have used this:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ight=lightware
  • 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
    BLS439
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    BLS439,

That is an AWESOME shot.

Sebastian,

Thanks so much. That means something coming from the author of the fireworks tutorial!

--Dave (Striving to be a pro)
  • 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
    BLS439
  • 11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
    Alison
    This is such an awesome thread!
    As you probably already know, we have our fireworks in November over here in the UK and I went to a small display tonight.

Slap my wrist if you like, but, like always with me, I think these things are beyond my capabilities because they are out of my comfort zone, so I only do things half heartedly. Y'know, "they probably won't turn out anyway, so I won't bother taking my tripod. I may even find a post or a tree to steady my hand."

Unfortunately there was no tree to rest on and the fence was being shaken by a bunch of excited kids.

Anyway, here are my very first attempts at fireworks, thanks to sebastian's and everyone else's tips, I thought they turned out pretty well for being handheld. I can imagine how they would have turned out had I used my tripod.

And yes, you guessed it...I used my 50mm 1.8mm MKII lens on these.

Now I am on the look out for some more displays. I'm sure there will be some more :D
  • 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM
    steelerdirtfreak
    I read this last year and thought it was an awesome tutorial then and thought I remembered what was in it...
    Until tonight when the track that I shoot for had their fireworks night and I realized that I didn't remember nearly as much as I thought... :-(

Anyway, I thought this might be a helpful time to bump this back to the forefront. I know I am pointing several shooters to this thread as many tracks in our area are having "fireworks nights" over the course of the next 2 weeks. This is still one of the best resources I have ever read on shooting fireworks!
  • 06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerdirtfreak
    Anyway, I thought this might be a helpful time to bump this back to the forefront.

Yes, great idea! It's that time of year again. How about posting your shots too - should we keep it all together or start a new thread with this year's shots?
  • 06-24-2007, 09:13 AM
    swmdrayfan
    nice job dirtfreak.......I was hoping someone would bump this.
  • 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM
    mikeb380
    Quote:

Good point about the focus. The fireworks themselves won't really ever be sharp, they're just blurs of light. If you have something in the frame, a building or some trees, you want those to be sharp if they're static. And with the distances we're dealing with here, you're more than likely at infinity no matter what.

I use a 28mm lens set on f8/f11, focus on infinity, point the lens about where the burst will emerge and shoot. I use mirror lock-up to eliminate the slam of the mirror. Using a remote I can set the shutter to B and lock it open, then use a lens cap or similar to block till the next one goes up. This allows multiple shots on one frame and gives a good effect. after2 or 3 bursts unlock the shutter and mirror and do it all over again.

I had a job once shooting foreworks for an open house of a lodge on the beach. It was fantastic as I got reflections as well as the real burst. It was harder to shoot as where I had to shoot was lit and hard to get correct exposure. With digital it is easier as you can see what you get after the exposure and adjust.

Last year I went to the military base here and had to shoot over a stadium wall. I carried a step stool and used a right angle attachment. That way I could raise the camera very high and use the viewer to see from below. Felt kinda weird for a while. Once I got it all set up, I used the stool for a seat.

Good luck on the 4th!
    Michael :)
  • 06-24-2007, 08:41 PM
    mikeb380
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison
    This is such an awesome thread!
    As you probably already know, we have our fireworks in November over here in the UK and I went to a small display tonight.

Slap my wrist if you like, but, like always with me, I think these things are beyond my capabilities because they are out of my comfort zone, so I only do things half heartedly. Y'know, "they probably won't turn out anyway, so I won't bother taking my tripod. I may even find a post or a tree to steady my hand."

Unfortunately there was no tree to rest on and the fence was being shaken by a bunch of excited kids.

Anyway, here are my very first attempts at fireworks, thanks to sebastian's and everyone else's tips, I thought they turned out pretty well for being handheld. I can imagine how they would have turned out had I used my tripod.

And yes, you guessed it...I used my 50mm 1.8mm MKII lens on these.

Now I am on the look out for some more displays. I'm sure there will be some more :D

Alison, you have to push your comfort zone in order to improve/learn. Take everything you might need so you have no excuse to fail. Just remember that you can do whatever you put your mind to. Be positive and determined. I was 13 when I started photography and no web sites or any schools. I taught me from magazines and books. I don't think I am a genius or anything like that, I was just determined to learn and I learned alot.

Anyone else need help, call Dr. Mike shrink extraordinaire :cool:
    Michael :)
  • 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
    Sebastian
    Glad this was brought back up. Just a reminder, this has a permanent home in the "Ho<font color=red>w<font color=black>-to's" section of this site. If you ever need to find it, just head there.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys do this year.
  • 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
    petershin_95
    oh this is sweet.... thanx for this post, i always wondered what would be the best way to take pics this july 4th.
  • 06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

this has a permanent home in the "Ho-to's" section

I've been trying to figure out how to make a joke out of that, but so far I got nuthin. Where's Asylum Steve when you need him.
  • 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
    Sebastian
    Ahem.

If someone could edit that for me, it'd be MUCH appreciated...

BTW Rick, I hate you.
  • 06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

If someone could edit that for me, it'd be MUCH appreciated...

No, I think I'll leave it there for a while :)
  • 06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
    Sebastian
    That's OK too.
  • 06-27-2007, 03:19 AM
    readingr
    1 Attachment(s)
    Who needs a tripod:rolleyes:

This was taken hand held because there was no room on the beach to set up the tripod :D 1/8th at F2.8 using a Canon Powershot Pro 1

It was taken at the Battle of Trafalgar celebrations on a beach in Portsmouth back in 28/06/2005 or 06/28/2005.

Roger
  • 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
    Axle
    Thanks for the tips! I got some decent shots this time around you can check 'em out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7600611203066/
  • 07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
    starriderrick
    Great thread, Thanks for the tips Seb
    I love that shot Michael.
    I'm going to try my luck at Stanford tomorrow. Tues. night show.

Rick
  • 07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
    Sebastian
    Here's some form yesterday.

Chicago Fireworks - 7/3/2007