ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Finally getting some of my Smokies pictures :)

Hi all!

Thanks again to everyone who gave us some tips, we had a great time. We deeply regretted not bringing some faster film though, the tree growth and the density of the canopy is unbelievable. The next time I'm there I'm going to keep one camera with 800 speed and one with 100 speed for running water and waterfall pictures with the tripod.

Anyway, I'm starting to scan some of the pictures. The first here was taken at Clingman's Dome. We didn't go up to the look out because there was a huge amount of clouds rolling in and we figured we wouldn't seem much from the top. My mom got better shots than I did of the clouds rolling in... this was the best I got, though I sort of like the contrasts. The print has better color quality and you can see more green behind the clouds.

The second I might also post on the critique board-- its Juney Whank Falls. I think the light reflecting off the rock next to the falls might be a bit too intense, but I'm otherwise really happy with this one.

I'm going to be a busy scanning beaver the next few days, so watch for more pictures here and on the critique board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally getting some of my Smokies pictures :)-juneywank.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    Very nice...I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to my neck of the woods!
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

We deeply regretted not bringing some faster film

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Hi all!

Thanks again to everyone who gave us some tips, we had a great time. We deeply regretted not bringing some faster film though, the tree growth and the density of the canopy is unbelievable. The next time I'm there I'm going to keep one camera with 800 speed and one with 100 speed for running water and waterfall pictures with the tripod.

Anyway, I'm starting to scan some of the pictures. The first here was taken at Clingman's Dome. We didn't go up to the look out because there was a huge amount of clouds rolling in and we figured we wouldn't seem much from the top. My mom got better shots than I did of the clouds rolling in... this was the best I got, though I sort of like the contrasts. The print has better color quality and you can see more green behind the clouds.

The second I might also post on the critique board-- its Juney Whank Falls. I think the light reflecting off the rock next to the falls might be a bit too intense, but I'm otherwise really happy with this one.

I'm going to be a busy scanning beaver the next few days, so watch for more pictures here and on the critique board.

I hear ya! That's also why I use 400 speed film (Fuji Superia Xtra 400) for my everyday film. It's great in low light, and for action shots, and you can always stop down the apeture and/or add a polarizer to help bring the light down.

I can relate about the scan not matching the print. I don't scan my own (Half Hour Photo does it for me), but it frustrating when you've got a gorgeous print, but can't convey it in a post. I'm not a Photoshop guru, so I'm still trying to learn how to improve the scanned product.

I really like your falls shot. I do not think the light is too intense on the rocks. I think that one is gorgeous as is.

Where in the Smokies did you go? When my buddies and I head to the mountains, we usually tour the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Beautiful place, isn't it! Look forward to seeing more shots. Like Speed said, the Blue Ridge Parkway is amazing - it could be a trip on it's own.

Thread Information