• 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM
    mtbbrian
    Film Cameras? Who still makes them??
    I want to know what other camera manufactures are still making or having made for them, film cameras?
    I know about Nikon, but what Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc..
    Any format, etc..
    Brian
  • 01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
    another view
    Re: Film Cameras? Who still makes them??
    What's film? :p

Actually, Konica/Minolta announced today that they're discontinuing all cameras...
  • 01-19-2006, 12:45 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    What's film? :p

Actually, Konica/Minolta announced today that they're discontinuing all cameras...

Film Rocks Steve!
    I saw that post, and it is what kind of spurred me to make this one.
    If Nikon has two film cameras Canon has to have at least one. Right?
    Brian
    Film, it's REAL! :rolleyes: :D :p ;)
  • 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM
    srobb
    Far as I know Canon still makes them. Not sure of the particular ones other than the Rebel series. That may be something to check out PJ.
  • 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
    srobb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Film Rocks Steve!
    I saw that post, and it is what kind of spurred me to make this one.
    If Nikon has two film cameras Canon has to have at least one. Right?
    Brian
    Film, it's REAL! :rolleyes: :D :p ;)

Well, brian, depending on ih you count the p&s cameras, Canon actually still makes a total of 15 film cameras. They have the EOS-1V which is their pro level, then the EOS-3, ELAN 7N, ELAN 7NE, Rebel T2 and Rebel K2 for the 35mm side.

Then they have 7 different models of their Sure Shot p&s cameras along with 2 models of one called ELPH. One of those is a Sport model which is waterproof to about 16 feet.

Now, how many did that other maker have? ;) :D :D ;)
  • 01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
    payn817
    I feel ya Brian!!

However, since we know Nikon has stated they will continue to produce pro film bodies, we also know someone (even if by mail order) will sell film. Besides, we are still getting p&s film cameras at Wal-Mart.

My plan is to purchase a couple film SLR bodies as soon as they hit clearance, and leave em in the box for later. That way, if mine breaks, I got another without the 1000+ price tag.

Brian, have you yet to find anything close to a holga in the digital world? Those ones that are regarded in the same manner don't carry enough res to get a decent print. If you find something, let me know.
  • 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
    Chunk
    Oh, no! I hope one of the other manufacturers picks up the 'IS in the body' concept for consumer slr's.
  • 01-19-2006, 03:09 PM
    payn817
    Chunk, the Sony DSLR will build off the 7d/5d platform. I believe both of those cameras were made as a joint venture with Sony/KM, with Sony producing the sensor. So, I seriously doubt there will be much difference, and the new Sony will carry the maxxum AF mount.
  • 01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by srobb
    Now, how many did that other maker have?

Hmm... Nikon dumped their 35mm and APS P&S cameras a couple of years ago. They still have the FM10 (which I think is brand labled from Cosina) and the F6. Until the announcement, they had the manual focus FM3a, the F100, the N80 and at least one other less expensive SLR. Also the re-issued rangefinder although that might not have still been in production, technically. Pretty full line-up, just a sign of the times. Not sure what K/M had...
  • 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payn817
    Brian, have you yet to find anything close to a holga in the digital world? Those ones that are regarded in the same manner don't carry enough res to get a decent print. If you find something, let me know.

Some people consider camera phones a toy camrea and there is the JamCam, and a few others too. And there is the Lens Baby too.
    But I haven't heard of too many other options.
    What about Olympus? Pentax? Etc?
    Brian
  • 01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
    jewels
    hey brian, how are you? I found my way back to this site and was cruising through the forums. Eric and I were just browsing through your site, your photos are wonderful. I really liked the shots in 'moments' and of course eric liked the freeride section. Kinda got me inspired to use w/ my film camera more and continue learning. Hope you had a good time on Maui. The group ride was great, hope to make it to your neck of the woods sometime and you can be our trail guide! aloha-julie
  • 01-21-2006, 10:42 AM
    masdog
    Quote:

Some people consider camera phones a toy camrea and there is the JamCam, and a few others too. And there is the Lens Baby too.
    But I haven't heard of too many other options.
    What about Olympus? Pentax? Etc?
    Brian

I don't think Olympus makes 35mm anymore. I checked their website, and the only products I could find were digital ones. Pentax still has film P&S and SLR.
  • 01-21-2006, 12:29 PM
    almo
    Quote:

I want to know what other camera manufactures are still making or having made for them, film cameras?
    I know about Nikon, but what Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc..
    Any format, etc..
    Brian

Canon: 5 models

Pentax: 3 models

Nikon: 9 models

Olympus: 2 models (ZLRs)

KM: 9 models (Though not for much longer aparently)

Contax: 4 models

Leica: 2 models

Vivitar: 2 models

Phoenix: 7 models

All of the above cameras are 35mm SLRs, with the exception of olympus' ZLR systems. It doesn't seem to me that there is any shortage of film cameras out there for those who still choose to shoot in the analog format.
  • 01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
    SW2CAM
  • 01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
    megan
    Holga. And lomo. And that's all that matters! Just being snarky....
    :D