ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Fighting "Photographer's Block"

Arrgghhh! Lately nothing is grabbing me or making the cut even for me (and I don't have high standards!). I feel the need to photograph as urgently as ever, but can't seem to find anything worthwhile. I've tried to just shoot, shoot, shoot to see if maybe I push past it, but still come up empty. I've tried to lay low and just wait for the "real inspiration" to hit, but that leaves me anxious that I'll miss something. Sigh. I do have a couple of series' that I am still fleshing out, so maybe that's what's the problem: I need to get moving on these ideas before I can overcome the block.

So, that leaves me asking: Anyone else have "photographer's block"? How'd you get over it if you did?
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Re: Fighting "Photographer's Block"

Don't fight it. Just don't do it for a while. Trying to force yourself will just burn you out more.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Don't feel alone D!! I'm right there with ya, and have been for about a month. I agree with Sebastian. Last time it hit me, I just waited it out and when it came back, I produced better stuff than before. It's kinda like a burnout/let it all soak in/reflection thing for me.

During these times, some people read about technique/ideas, it may inspire you as well. In the least, it will give you some new ideas next time you go out.

Well D how about going back to your first Photos, oh yea dig them out of the closet hehe. Just grab one and give it a good hard critique and after you have finished , go and hunt down that subject and photographe it according to your critique . Then sit back and enjoy the before and after with a good laugh
    Or better yet can you remember of a time when you forgot your camera , never to late to go back to that perfect missed scene. Anything and everything is worth a try
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

You guys make great points. You're right! I just need to cool my jets and rest it. Knight, it's dangerous to go back but I suppose I could set a limit and just pick the first two hundred or so huh?
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

No problem with taking a little time off. I hadn't shot anything just for the sake of doing it for awhile and just got back from a long weekend where it felt really good to get back out there and work with a camera again. You'll know when you're ready.

Just me and my camera

YES, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!! I've been actually going through the same thing for some time now. I feel inspired and want to take photographs, but can't seem to actually do it or find something that excites me enough to really get into it. So, for now I'm just waiting and viewing galleries to get my creative juices flowing. But I definately know what you mean, dbutler; I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Ghost

Succumb.

(or drink more beer, whichever)

Take a break, read a book, buy some shoes....

(or drink more beer, whichever)

"Arrgghhh! Lately nothing is grabbing me or making the cut even for me (and I don't have high standards!). I feel the need to photograph as urgently as ever, but can't seem to find anything worthwhile."

Sounds like you need ...

A new camera! Can we say D200?

Or maybe a new lens? 50mm f1.4 - Gotta love the bokeh. 12mm - Gotta love the wide angle stuff. Maybe a 500mm f8 reflex - Gotta love the tight shots.

Maybe you need a change of scenery. Come on down to the coast. We've got a five bedroom house, so we've got the room. We can take you Down East and let you shoot some birds and fishing boats. Or we'll take you out in the boat, let you shoot Cape Lookout, and take you to Shackleford and let you shoot the wild horses.

Or do as Sebastian suggested, and just give it a break.

Just brainstorming for you. And I'm serious about coming down for a visit. It's Highway 70 to Newport and one right turn.
    Last edited by Speed; 05-02-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

You've gotten good advice, don't force it. Leave the camera home and you'll miss enough good pictures that pretty soon you'll be shooting.

Take a look through the old photo project archives and find some shots that would fit with them - or try and duplicate some of those shots.
    ----------------------------

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hi, D

I'm the opposite. If I don't go out shooting and just wait for a "big idea" moment, I experience a similar block. However, if I force myself to just go anywhere and shoot anything, all kinds of "stuff" starts popping up. Kinda like seeing Waldo everywhere.

So when I want to take pictures, I just go out - the more I look, the more I see. Better unplanned.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

This too, shall pass.

See you around, D. Youve been a great help to me.
    John

I don't really get photographers block, but I do get days where nothing, no matter how simple, nothing comes out right. That can go on for a week, but then it's goes away and things are back to normal. I think the fact I shoot sports helps avoid the block, but nothing will help bad days or weeks! We all have em, always will.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I'm going through the same exact thing right now. I finished a stretch of some pretty decent B&W work that I was very happy with, and now I have no muse to push me onward. I took a roll during a 5 hour hike up in the White Mountians on Sunday, but still didn't SEE any good shots through the viewfinder.

I think i'm going to take some of the advice from below, go to Border's tonight and start browsing through some photog books. Something has to get me back...

~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    Arrgghhh! Lately nothing is grabbing me or making the cut even for me (and I don't have high standards!). I feel the need to photograph as urgently as ever, but can't seem to find anything worthwhile. I've tried to just shoot, shoot, shoot to see if maybe I push past it, but still come up empty. I've tried to lay low and just wait for the "real inspiration" to hit, but that leaves me anxious that I'll miss something. Sigh. I do have a couple of series' that I am still fleshing out, so maybe that's what's the problem: I need to get moving on these ideas before I can overcome the block.

So, that leaves me asking: Anyone else have "photographer's block"? How'd you get over it if you did?
    Usaully my block is the @#@$%!! computer dies on the 150 meg image. Then the print keeps asking for ink!! And after all of that it will not give me the glossy paper choice because it still things it has the Mat Black ink in it!!! Then wife says Dinner. So I ended up with a goose egg (last night).

Also when I'm driving down the road there is not a place to pull over to take the %#$@ picture, or I don't have a @#@$ camera with me!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information