ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Has photography lost some of its excitement?

Photography has lost some of its excitement for me. I haven't gotten out with my cameras in well over 2 months. I've lost a lot of motivation. I finding digital photography is losing alot of its newness, the new introductions are nearly the same as the older cameras with the latest newest feature being video (cool but out of the photography box). My retired 10D can still keep up (photographically speaking) with the new stuff. The forums are losing their appeal because the new bodies are not revolutionary, but evolutionary. Everyone talks of the greatness of their XXD or DXX but I don't see anything different. The photographs, good or bad mostly look the same. I don't see anywhere that a new body is a help or a hindrance. I don't feel a need get new equipment because my old equipment is doing fine (5D, 30D).

I have recently made a huge move. I've left Wyoming and moved to North Carolina, talk about your culture shock. This place is so 180 degrees out of WY I don't know how to fully describe it. If I were in WY I would have been up in the mountains for peak fall color, but here, I am lost. I can go to Asheville or Hendersonville and check out the "mountains" here. But I feel I just don't want to waste the 3 hour drive. I could drive to the outer banks, but again it's a three hour drive, one I am not sure I want to make. Eventually I will probably get my feet under me and find a rhythm out here. Right now though I've just lost it. Too many times I've gone out early and came in late just to be disappointed by mother nature. Now, out of my element, I am finding it doubly hard to go out and brave the dawn and stay out until the sun goes down for a possible something, that more times than not, ends up being nothing.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Has photography lost some of its excitement?

Has art lost its appeal or just cameras? Are you just a fish out of water in your new location? Maybe you just need to try something different, street shots instead of scenics, or try some stuff in the house.

Myself, the only time I get caught up in all the new cameras and what bells and whistles they have is when I want to buy a new piece of equipment. Sometimes my friends that are in photography get so caught up in having the latest camera that they never learn what the one they own can really do. I would like to suggest two things. First, concentrate on learning all you can about the equipment you have now. This alone should get you trying new things. Second, visit the local galleries and shops that have prints for sale and see what they are shooting. Both of these suggestions should get you thinking in a little different direction. When I go on vacation I like to visit the shops and galleries for new ideas because most of them will have pictures from the surrounding area. Many times there are pictures there that give me ideas I hadn't even considered or even knew were in the area. You might also see if there are some websites with photos of things to do where you live now to get the creative juices going. Get out there and start snapping away and let us see what you come up with, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hate Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I have recently made a huge move. I've left Wyoming and moved to North Carolina, talk about your culture shock. This place is so 180 degrees out of WY I don't know how to fully describe it. If I were in WY I would have been up in the mountains for peak fall color, but here, I am lost. I can go to Asheville or Hendersonville and check out the "mountains" here. But I feel I just don't want to waste the 3 hour drive. I could drive to the outer banks, but again it's a three hour drive, one I am not sure I want to make. Eventually I will probably get my feet under me and find a rhythm out here. Right now though I've just lost it. Too many times I've gone out early and came in late just to be disappointed by mother nature. Now, out of my element, I am finding it doubly hard to go out and brave the dawn and stay out until the sun goes down for a possible something, that more times than not, ends up being nothing.
    The camera is just a tool to go out and do pictures. I'm constantly amazed by the things I can do with each new generation of cameras.

- The exposure systems are getting better as is the flash
    - The ability to use ever-higher ISO and IS/VR makes new photos possible
    - New lenses that "break the rules" and provide good image quality at all apertures

It sounds like you don't like North Carolina - or at least it doesn't have what you had in Wyoming that you liked. That reminds me of when I used to go back to my home town (Birmingham, UK) to see my parents, usually at Christmas when the weather was dark and gloomy. I hated it. I couldn't wait to get back to the place I was living.

So I used to go out and rage with the camera, taking all the things I didn't like. It gave me quite a lot of pictures. The camera is a way of expressing yourself, and if there is emotion and fire behind it, the result is likely to be that much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has photography lost some of its excitement?-1068-09a.jpg   Has photography lost some of its excitement?-1341-24.jpg   Has photography lost some of its excitement?-2048-11.jpg   Has photography lost some of its excitement?-2054-15a.jpg  
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

What do you want from photography?
    Do you want to take nice pictures that people think are pretty?
    Do you want to capture what your mind sees?
    Do you hope that maybe someone will be able to see the world as you do, through your photography?
    The first one is pretty easy. The other two take a bunch of work.
    You either want to or you don't.
    One thing I know is that when I'm out of the mood for it, if I try to force it, it never works and just becomes another chore and I might as well be doing the dishes.
    But if I just keep the camera with me in my limited travels, eventually I'll see something that I want to show and will become hyper-focused on it.

Maybe you should let it go for a while but I wouldn't go selling your equipment as from what I've seen from you, the desire will come back.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I call it MDS " motivational deficiency syndrome". I think we all go through it. I played golf for over thirty years before my fall. Now I can only try to play. But I go through it with golf and photography as well. Just give it some time. You will probably get to like NC before long and you will start seeing subjects to shoot.
    As far as equipment. I was thinking just yesterday. How much is enough? How many Mpix do you really need? Do you really need the latest and best technology? When is enough, enough? I placed third in a photography contest a couple of years ago and I used a Canonet QL-17 that I bought off ebay for $25.00 to take the shot with.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

just go out and shoot. Don't worry about making portfolio type shots, just get out and photograph. Heck, you can delete every image off your camera before you even get home. I've felt out of place in new places quite a few times and that always helps me. The reason being that no matter where I am, I always have my photography, and even when I'm feeling like I'm entirely lost, I know that is there with me.

alot of times i use photography as a means of exploring new areas.

it sounds like your in a photography funk (we all get them) compounded by being in a new place. maybe take a trip to the smokes or the beach w/o camera and try to have fun some other way. and then think about going back to take photos.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

You are all right, I am in a Photographic Funk. This started long before my move to NC (I have only been here 3 weeks). I have seen new subjects, but I can't seem to get motivated to get out and shoot them.

I think a lot of this started when my fall plans completely fell apart. I had planned on making a grand trip visiting some of the National Parks and taking time to just be outdoors with no job pressures and with the time to get up early and stay out late with nap time in between.

Then, I ended up changing jobs on a moral stand, and though I will be doing nearly the same job, making a little more pay, and have a lot of chance for advancement, I am not really comfortable here in NC. Of course I haven't really given it much time, but of all of the moves I have made in my life (there have been a lot) I feel the least comfortable by a long shot with this one.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

EOSThree, what you are experiencing is CHANGE and the things that it does to people and how change manifests itself in how people deal with change. I remember about 20 + years ago when I moved from big-city Eastern Canada to smaller-city Western Canada - boy what a change. There were very few McDonald's (not a biggy) and something called A&W drive-ins (what are/were these?). They had no "steet-cars" as they were known in the east and all public transportation was by bus (most of it still is today, but, today they are all diesel buses not a mix of trolleys and diesels). Downtown went dead at 6:00 p.m +/-. -- there was a saying (not true today) "At 7:00 o'clock they rolled up the sidewalks and at 9:00 o'clock they took in the buildings" - or something like that, and talked about "laid-back" lifestyle (rather not), but boy, weekends were weekends and everybody played on weekends - hiking, climbing, skiiing (in season), etc. Never done much of these in the east - the closest I got to this (recreation) was a bit of fishing and swimming in the summer.

When this type of change occurs, you learn to adapt, because if you don't you will go nuts. My suggestion(s)

- go for a walk around your neighbourhood, with and without your camera.
    - meet new people, not just those you work with (maybe you have done this already)
    - go to a meeting of a local camera club and find out what people photograph and what they like to photograph and where.
    - get a photo buddy (one of the new people to meet).
    - pretend you are a tourist for a weekend and photograph the things you might want to show to your old friends from WI.
    - etc. I am sure there other suggestions as others before me have noted...maybe others would like to add to this list.

HTH, Cheers,

WesternGuy

n8

sounds like you're just out of your element rather then it being a matter of he advances, or lack there in of equipment. It's similar to my music. A new pedal or guitar will stimulate my urge to play for a minute or two, but once the newness does away, it's back to just making music. Maybe a change of scenery is what you need to expand your eye.

I'll say just shoot ... and see what you get

I spent some time in the area around year 2000, I use to think the woods can be really nice , and there are quite a few lakes , on the weekends there are a few nearby historical towns, maybe you can try those locations

driving a little longer, the outer banks can be really nice, try capturing one of the lighthouses, the ocean is something different to what you got in wyoming.

I cycle in & out of photography all the time. When I'm uninspired, everything is blasé. But it eventually cycles its way back in again, I dust off the camera and shoot stupid things around my yard or something, and pretty soon am obsessed again. Until it cycles back out again.

I know this about myself, so I don't let it worry me.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

we spend time in asheville every year, love it. i could shoot there all day.

it cycles....if you're not interested in photography right now, just let it sit. unless that's your job, then you need to fake interest until you are back into it...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    we spend time in asheville every year, love it. i could shoot there all day.

it cycles....if you're not interested in photography right now, just let it sit. unless that's your job, then you need to fake interest until you are back into it...
    This is me. Except currently my cycles are measured in weeks or days as opposed to months or years.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

If I were in WY I would have been up in the mountains for peak fall color, but here, I am lost. I can go to Asheville or Hendersonville and check out the "mountains" here. But I feel I just don't want to waste the 3 hour drive.
    Having lived west of Asheville for 7 years and in Colorado for seven years, let me tell you: fall colors in Asheville blows away the west. If its a good color season, there will be more color in a small area than in all of the Rocky Mountain west.

In the spring, the wildflowers come out in force, sometimes entire hillsides drowning in them. In the summer, you will meet a couple bears a day in the woods.

My favorite place in this country is western NC. I wish there were jobs suitable for me. Don't just snub your nose at it! Spend a week out there and see for yourself.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I have recently made a huge move. I've left Wyoming and moved to North Carolina, talk about your culture shock. This place is so 180 degrees out of WY
    First of all, welcome to God's country! Do you know why the sky is Carolina Blue? Because God is a UNC fan. Old joke, and frankly, I'm an ECU grad so I don't buy into that one either.

I was guessing you moved somewhere around the Durham area based on your description (3 hours from the mountains and 3 hours from the coast) - and in checking out your profile I see I was close.

I live on the coast, in Newport. I was born and raised here, and during my time in the Air Force, I went to Eglin AFB, Florida, Williams AFB, Arizona, Vandenberg AFB, California, Minot AFB, North Dakota, and Maxwell AFB, Alabama. Every one was different from home, yet every one had it owns charm. I spent nearly six years in North Dakota and loved it. It was indeed quite different from NC.

I understand your loss of passion for photography. It seems to wax and wan with all of us. Sometimes you need a break, or you need something to renew or revitalize your passion. Don't let it get you down. I have not taken a lot of pictures lately, but I still carry my camera with me nearly every day, so when I see something exciting I can capture it. And like you, I still use my D200 on photo shoots, even though the D300 is my primary camera. I have no desire for a D300S, because if I want to shoot video, I'll get out my video camera!

Go ahead and plan to come visit next spring. Memorial Day or Independence Day are good ones to come down for (though you don't have to wait that long. If you want to visit, send me a message and we'll make it happen). Three day weekends and the weather is warm. We'll take you to see the sights, and we'll make a run to Shackleford Banks and/or Cape Lookout as well. We'll do photography by day and hot tubbing at night. Paul can vouch that we are great hosts and Dawn is an excellent cook. And you may come to find that North Carolina isn't all that bad after all.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Sorry to come back to this but this is the second time that someone called ncniceguy/Steve has come up with a killer Autumn colours shot on photoSIG (sorry again for mentioning another site).

He lives in a place called North Carolina as well. It looks like a wonderful place to do pictures in the woods. Perhaps you should stop looking for mountains and look at rivers instead?
    Charles

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

EOS Three:

I know just how you feel. I moved to Asheville, NC from Northern Virginia in April and there was plenty of change/culture shock to go around as we moved and were trying to start a business in a new town. Needless to say photography fell along the wayside for me and while I grieved over the loss of my artistic/emotional outlet, I couldn't bring myself to pick up the camera or 'make the editing work'. This was especially difficult as I spent the last 6 years building my photography business and reputation in the DC area. It has taken almost 6 months to get back to a place where I feel I even have images worth showing and posting again. Now that I'm shooting regularly again it's like I never left it but I definitely needed a rest period for restart and to get my bearings.

It sounds like you changed jobs under stressful conditions and the move and distance of the move that it precipitated only amplifies those feelings. These aren't easy things to assimilate in just a few weeks. Give yourself the time to adjust to all of your changes and then come on out and visit us in Asheville!! A three hour drive is a lot more worth it when you have a destination and folks waiting to welcome you. Fall is glorious here but anytime of year (except winter) is a great time to come.

Take care and don't despair the clouds will part again!!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Yup, I've decided I have to just let things settle down a bit. Things are ultra busy at work right now, and weekends are just a time to recuperate and get essential things done like laundry.

I pretty much missed fall color in my funk, hopefully I'll be ready for next year. Thanks for the kind invitations, hopefully I'll have some time in the future. I am feeling a little tiny bit better about being here, but I still miss the mountains.

Well, I've been in the photography doldrums since January, thanks to work, and the house needing some work on it. I have been to tired to even critiquing photos on this site but tried to keep abreast of what's been happening.

I am just getting back into it and planning to take the camera walkies. We'll see what happens. I've only taken 2500 photo's all year and most of those were holiday snaps and relatives weddings as a guest.

All the best and hope you find inspiration soon

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Well, I've been in the photography doldrums since January, thanks to work, and the house needing some work on it. I have been to tired to even critiquing photos on this site but tried to keep abreast of what's been happening.

I am just getting back into it and planning to take the camera walkies. We'll see what happens. I've only taken 2500 photo's all year and most of those were holiday snaps and relatives weddings as a guest.

All the best and hope you find inspiration soon

Roger R.
    I've never visited North Carolina, but I've been to Basingstoke. I can understand you being short of inspiration for landscapes.

In my early days I was enthralled by Ansel Adams pictures of Yosemite (still am, in fact). I did what I could but as I was living in Hertfordshire, which is one of the flattest parts of England, I was a bit frustrated. So I found other things to do.
    Charles

Thread Information