ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Katrina aftermath

We got 3-4 tornados from Katrina. Here are a few shots. All had to be taken from a vehicle, as the police wouldn't let us stop. More dramatic scenes were available, but out of respect for those mourning their losses, I chose not to shoot them. I did manage to get about 20 shots. The second one was once a home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Katrina aftermath-100_2406.jpg   Katrina aftermath-100_24111.jpg   Katrina aftermath-100_24121.jpg  

Re: Katrina aftermath

Here is one of the storm rolling in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Katrina aftermath-100_24052.jpg  

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

wow, great shots you managed to get there. I hope that you didn't put yourself in harms way to get it.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Of course not, axle. We could not stop, or get out due to powerlines being down, unstable structures, and trees leaning over everywhere. We were able to drive through, as they let home owners drive through to get to their homes (I live about 2 miles from here) . The original purpose for going was to see if I could help with anything, and make myself available to people needing documentation for insurance, etc. (free of course).

One good thing came of my trip (since the police wouldn't let us stop). I called the local tv and newspapers and offered up some of the photos, and the local media didn't know about this area. So, I was first to report and send images, now it is all over the news.

Liz

I'm so glad you posted and let us know you're okay. How are your family and friends? Where exactly are you? There is so much devastation, but watching it on TV and being there are 2 different things. You've made it personal by sharing with us - and your images. I'm glad you were able to get them to the papers.

Keep us updated.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Of course not, axle. We could not stop, or get out due to powerlines being down, unstable structures, and trees leaning over everywhere. We were able to drive through, as they let home owners drive through to get to their homes (I live about 2 miles from here) . The original purpose for going was to see if I could help with anything, and make myself available to people needing documentation for insurance, etc. (free of course).

One good thing came of my trip (since the police wouldn't let us stop). I called the local tv and newspapers and offered up some of the photos, and the local media didn't know about this area. So, I was first to report and send images, now it is all over the news.

Oh My, we have been getting images all over our news here in Aus. So far I know noone who has been severely affected. I'm so glad you are safe. It looks devistating

Great pics btw!

I was actually hundreds of miles from the center. This destruction was caused by the bands off the extreme edge. It was a horrible storm, and after being there during hurricane Andrew, I know too well what they are going through. One photo I decided not to post shows an elderly man sifting through a pile of rubble that was his home. Although you can see the emotion in the photo, it in no way compares to seeing it in person, he lost everything he had. I wanted to help him so bad, but there was nothing I could do.

I hope I didn't come across wrong in stating that I was first to break the images to the media. The reason I am glad to do that is because this area was not part of the area granted disaster relief, and due to the images I sent, it was added for relief, and those people received help. I refused to benefit from the photos, but made them available to the people who owned the properties, their insurance companies, family, friends, etc.

And now the looting starts.... This bites, the cops should just shoot the looters, yet the news just reported they are not even arresting them! That just tells these morons it's OK to steal. It's bad enough someone lost everything at home, but then to have your business ransacked by idiots stealing everything. It just burns me that people have no respect for others property, especially in times like these!

Pentax Forum Moderator

I think it is wonderful that you are offering your services for free...too many people try to take advantage of others misery. Thank you for not being one of them. Your shots are very moving. We are still waiting to hear from a few relatives in Georgia and Louisiana, but they are usually very smart and go stay with friends during these storms...so in most cases, no news is good news when it comes to them. Look forward to more of your "tasteful" images.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Liz

I hope I didn't come across wrong in stating that I was first to break the images to the media

Absolutely NOT! It was the right thing to do and I'm glad you shared it.

I just saw a situation in New Orleans on TV that brought tears to my eyes - almost unbearable. There was a CNN reporter with a very young (maybe 16 y/o) girl - they were both looking at the pile of debris that used to be their house. The girl said she lost some treasures because she couldn't take them with her. The reporter went through the rubble and found 2 of her precious dolls (one a millenium doll) that were full of mud, but intact. He also found her guitar. She cried. Then they went to show her Grandma, who wept and profusely thanked the reporter saying that he was one of the nicest persons in the world. Then she shared that she couldn't find her other two sons, and just buried her own sister last week. It was so heartbreaking.

Thanks for starting this thread - it's good to share things that effect us so deeply.

Liz

Liz

Update?

I think about you - and your pictures - when I see all the pictures and new on TV. How are you doing - any more personal reflections/experiences? Hope all is ok.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    We got 3-4 tornados from Katrina. Here are a few shots. All had to be taken from a vehicle, as the police wouldn't let us stop. More dramatic scenes were available, but out of respect for those mourning their losses, I chose not to shoot them. I did manage to get about 20 shots. The second one was once a home.

Everything is calm here, and people are rebuilding and moving on. I am fine, and so are family and friends. Thursday, I will be back out looking around, and doing some volunteer work. The way it has affected me really is in fuel prices. Due to others misfortune, and the price of fuel, I am not really shooting much right now, but I will get back on soon, and I think this will help when I start again, both in seeing people a different way, and choosing other subjects. The cost of fuel has kept me home, and bored, so at least I have learned alot more about theories, and my camera.

some more photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Katrina aftermath-100_24161.jpg   Katrina aftermath-100_24191.jpg  

The older couple in this photo was walking away from their destroyed home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Katrina aftermath-100_2407.jpg  

Thread Information