ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Fall colors

Fall colors

Things are getting really nice around here. I hope you guys are getting out for some color chasing too. As chiche as fall color shots can be, I still love taking and looking at them. I also try to break out of the same old shots too. Yesterday morning before dawn on my way to hike some peaks for color shots I saw a huge group of photographers on Ohio Pass getting ready for sun rise all lining up the same basic shot (which I'm sure was very nice - I've taken it before too). It was like a tripod forest! I prefer to shoot solo and try not to get the exact same shots as everyone else.
    Here's a few from yesterday, Saturday and last weekend.

IMGP9338.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9192.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9469.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9505.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9517.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

This is the largest aspen grove on Earth. It was unfortunately hazy yesterday from fires in Wyoming.

IMGP9710.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Popular local landmark in the distance call The Castles

IMGP9814.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Self portrait on 13,000 Ft. peak Mt. Owen near Crested Butte. I had the place to myself most of the morning!

IMGP9709.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: Fall colors

Love the San Juans! Here's a shot from Saturday in the Bighorn mountains. At 8000 feet the aspens are spectacular, but really close to dropping already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors-264v5267-8.jpg  
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree View Post
    Love the San Juans! Here's a shot from Saturday in the Bighorn mountains. At 8000 feet the aspens are spectacular, but really close to dropping already.
    Me too but these were the Elk, West Elk, and Ruby ranges. Nice shot!

What is this "fall" you speak of????

Actually, those of our trees that drop leaves will be turning them brown (not red, not orange, not yellow, but brown) in about 10 weeks, maybe 12. The new buds a couple of months later will actually be pushing some of the remaining leaves off.

Yay, Florida! (I've lived where solid water can exist outdoors, and I don't like it.)

But I must say, that's some purty forests you got there! Once in a while i venture up into the Smokies for fall, probably not this year, though....

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Me too but these were the Elk, West Elk, and Ruby ranges. Nice shot!
    Oops wrong range...
    Yeah that smoke you speak of is coming from the Bighorns. Sorry!
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Liz

Stunning Photos! Wow! Each one is unique - and beautiful. I especially love that first one.

Thanks for sharing.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    What is this "fall" you speak of????

Actually, those of our trees that drop leaves will be turning them brown (not red, not orange, not yellow, but brown) in about 10 weeks, maybe 12. The new buds a couple of months later will actually be pushing some of the remaining leaves off.

Yay, Florida! (I've lived where solid water can exist outdoors, and I don't like it.)

But I must say, that's some purty forests you got there! Once in a while i venture up into the Smokies for fall, probably not this year, though....
    I think I would die inside without a proper winter! I guess it's good people like different climates or we'd all live in the same places.
    I'm getting excited for ski season. I could take or leave ice but snow is pure magic as far as I'm concerned! Hopefully it will be more like two years ago than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Stunning Photos! Wow! Each one is unique - and beautiful. I especially love that first one.

Thanks for sharing.

Liz
    Thanks Liz!

I think I would die inside without a proper winter!
    Well, see, that's the thing.... you aren't trapped inside, because it's NOT COLD!!!!

And yeah, snow is fun, but it does nasty things to roads and other infrastructure. I'm afraid the only skis I've ever used are water skis! I'm not sure I've ever even seen a snowmobile in person.....

I mean my soul would die. MY insides.
    I'm a bit of a junkie and i have to get my regular fix!

Salt Lake City Fall Color

Thanks for starting this thread, Matt. Hope you don't mind that other members are adding to it. It's got a good title so why not make it our official fall 2012 foliage thread?

Here are a couple I took yesterday up Little Cottonwood Canyon on the White Pine trail. I thought it was going to be a crappy fall for colors because it was so hot and dry. Boy was I wrong. The colors right now are ridiculous! My biggest problem was figuring out what to shoot and how to compose. With so much color, I couldn't decide what to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors-_y4q6820.jpg   Fall colors-_y4q6866.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Great stuff John! I love how those scrub oaks get all orange and red. That reminds me of an area I should visit soon that should be coming along nicely about now! Hmmm...

I mean my soul would die. MY insides.
    I'm a bit of a junkie and i have to get my regular fix!
    Yeah, buddy! Backcountry suffering is the best
    Photo-John

Very nice! Thanks for starting this thread. We should do a dedicated fall color thread every year.

I love the cottonwoods on the river. The aspens reflected in the water with the floating leaves are great, too. Aspens are beautiful but I think I like the cottonwoods the most when they turn. They haven't turned here in the valley yet but I'm hoping to get out for some farm photos when they do. I'm heading south for Red Bull Rampage next weekend and hoping that the timing is good. There are lots of farm / cottonwood photo ops on that drive
    Photo-John

I think I would die inside without a proper winter! I guess it's good people like different climates or we'd all live in the same places.
    I'm getting excited for ski season. I could take or leave ice but snow is pure magic as far as I'm concerned! Hopefully it will be more like two years ago than last year.
    Here here! I'm all ready for snowmobiling and skiing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors-p1000846-9.jpg  

Snow!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree View Post
    Here here! I'm all ready for snowmobiling and skiing.
    Nice! We should have a winter ski photo get-together. Salt Lake is right in between you guys and it is the greatest snow on earth...
    Photo-John

Re: Snow!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Nice! We should have a winter ski photo get-together. Salt Lake is right in between you guys and it is the greatest snow on earth...
    I'd entertain the idea. Haven't skied the Bird or Alta in many years. :idea:

Our cottonwoods are officially going off at 7700 Ft! From this morning:

IMGP9895.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9893.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9887.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP9873.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

But I sure do hate that cotton sticking to my eyeballs in the summer.

Nice shots.. love them all.I really want to shoot some colors this year. I want to find a lake with a small boat house (or something), surrounded by crazy colorful trees.

Nice shots Matt and PJ, your autumn is such a colour spectacular. We are moving into all the spring blossoms down here .
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Some beautiful images here everyone! With the lack of rain we had in my area all summer, I wasn't expecting to see much color around here. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited our local state park on my lunch break this week. Here is a little different take on 'fall color'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors-_mg_3884.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    Nice shots Matt and PJ, your autumn is such a colour spectacular. We are moving into all the spring blossoms down here .
    Since I run the site and am aware of our international audience, I always feel a little weird posting about seasons when I know half the world isn't experiencing them. But what can you do. That's just the way the planet works. Maybe you should start a "Southern Hemisphere Spring" photo thread
    Photo-John

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Here are a few more shots from this week. Looks like wind and rain is coming so I don't think the leaves will last much longer around here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors-_mg_4414.jpg   Fall colors-_mg_4370.jpg   Fall colors-_mg_4347.jpg   Fall colors-_mg_4245.jpg   Fall colors-_mg_4335_6_7_tonemapped.jpg  

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information