• 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM
    MJS
    Re: Explain your login name
    my initials
    Michael Joseph Sylver
  • 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
    jkriminger
    jkriminger...bought the camera for my wife...found the site for her to post...registered her...started taking pictures myself. Took over ..my initials ..Rod Kriminger. She eventually registered herself under JennyK.
  • 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
    Yarrow
    Yarrow is a flower. I think the name is pretty cool so I use it for my SN here and several other places.
  • 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM
    masdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I'm a wombat, and I drive a Smart car.

Well, there is a little resemblance :)

I don't see any...:)
  • 07-10-2007, 10:30 PM
    masdog
    My handle is my nickname from when I played football in high school. Well...I didn't actually play...it was more like holding the clipboard.
  • 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Cool idea for a thread, bit IMO not really off-topic at all. Steve, we should move this to VF. I think we'd have a gazillion folks chime in.

As for Asylum Steve, well, sort of self-explanitory. Especially if you've met me... :crazy:

Still, there is a bit of a story behind it. If you've been to my web site, then it's not much of a stretch to see the connection with The Photo Asylum. In fact, photoasylum has been my handle on several online forums.

But when I joined pr.com, I wanted my first name in my user ID just for, well, familiararity or whatever. And so, I decided to use my name but keep the "Asylum" to reinforce the spirit of my web site and personality... :ciappa:
  • 07-13-2007, 09:59 PM
    julsoph
    Julsoph is for my two daughters - Julianna & Sophia. I'd have my son in there too, but I created my account here before I had him. :)

Emily
  • 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM
    Sushigaijin
    Sushigaijin is the promotional name of my personal chef/sushi class side business. I teach people how to make sushi at small private parties, hence sushi. Gaijin translates roughly to something like "F-ing foreign white person" which I thought was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Those who get it, think it's funny. Those who don't, don't usually ask questions. That, and it sounds good, abbreviates well, and sticks in people's head.

Actually I haven't done a party in quite some time, since I've been busy with keeping the restaurant I work at from self-destructing. Such is life. The side business pays better, a shame it isn't steady work :cryin:
  • 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Gaijin translates roughly to something like "F-ing foreign white person" which I thought was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Those who get it, think it's funny. Those who don't, don't usually ask questions.

I think it's funny.

I come from a Croatian family and we have a name like that in our language. I don't think the F-word is in there though.:idea: I'd have no clue how to spell it out because it has a tongue roll in the middle of the word. Feddeshtee. Something like that with a roll of the tongue where the second D is.
  • 07-14-2007, 11:55 AM
    StreetDoc
    StreetDoc- my name on the majority of forums I'm on... some people think it means I'm a drug dealer. I am....

Kinda, lol. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic in the suburbs of chicago. The majority of calls we do are medical, hense the name "street doctor"
  • 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM
    photophorous
    Well, first let me explain that I'm a dork, and I have an over-active imagination. I've always thought Angler fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglerfish) and other creatures with light emitting organs were really cool, and I thought as a photographer it would be very handy to have such organs. So, I looked up what they're called, and it's a "photophore." If I had those, I thought that would make me photophorous. Like I said, I'm a dork. :D

Paul
  • 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    Well, first let me explain that I'm a dork, and I have an over-active imagination. I've always thought Angler fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglerfish) and other creatures with light emitting organs were really cool, and I thought as a photographer it would be very handy to have such organs. So, I looked up what they're called, and it's a "photophore." If I had those, I thought that would make me photophorous. Like I said, I'm a dork. :D

Paul

That expalins a lot then Paul.
    So I guess the question is do you have any "light emitting organs"? :rolleyes: :D :p :eek:

Mine is a long standing one too, that I use everywhere but Flickr.
    MTB = Mountain Bike and well the other part I think you can figure out.
    Brian
    Has no "light emitting organs".....
    :D
  • 07-16-2007, 09:08 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    That expalins a lot then Paul.
    So I guess the question is do you have any "light emitting organs"?

It's a common misconception, actually. People think I'm emitting light when I'm really just reflecting it. :cool:

Paul
  • 07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

It's a common misconception, actually. People think I'm emitting light when I'm really just reflecting it. :cool:

Paul

LOL! Good one!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
  • 07-16-2007, 06:48 PM
    swmdrayfan
    Hey.......I just had a thought...........can I change mine????? Since the southwest michigan devil rays (swmdrayfan) have moved, can I switch to a new screenname????????? Seriously--is there a way to do that?
    Mods???
    P-J?????
  • 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
    walterick
    I don't think there is a way to change your handle. You'd have to start over and reset your post count to zero... hardly worth it my opinion :)
  • 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM
    Old Timer
    All you have to do is look at my avatar and you'll get the meaning of my handle. Check out my mod bio and you'll see how long I've been around. When I first started on this site I was a lurker and it seemed most every one was much younger. When I started to post I went with something that would set me apart from the kids.
  • 07-17-2007, 06:18 AM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    I don't think there is a way to change your handle. You'd have to start over and reset your post count to zero... hardly worth it my opinion :)

Michael Fanelli (mw fanelli) changed his screen name, but I don't know if he had to restart his post count when he did that...
  • 07-17-2007, 06:26 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Michael Fanelli (mw fanelli) changed his screen name, but I don't know if he had to restart his post count when he did that...

"Michael Fanelli" still has a post count, so he probably just re-registered and started over at zero at that point. I don't think there's any other way to change your name other than to do this.

Quote:

Well, first let me explain that I'm a dork

And in good company (speaking for myself, anyway)! :D
    I always wondered what that meant but I guess I was afraid to ask.
  • 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM
    adina
    Steve's right. This isn't so off-topic. I'm going to move it. There's a whole group of people who have never known the joys of off-topic.
  • 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
    Canuck935
    Hey, cool thread.

Canuck935:
    I was born in Canada, but I don't remember much since we moved to San Diego, CA when I was really young. One of my relatives in Canada sent me a shirt with the old comic book character Captain Canuck on it, which I wore frequently in high school. I was also in ROTC during high school. So when I finally made Captain in ROTC, my peers started calling me Captain Canuck. I eventually went on to Major, and then it became just Canuck.

So.. I got the nickname Canuck in ROTC, and our ROTC unit number was 935.
  • 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
    racingpinarello
    Having been a bike racer from 5 years old (bmx to road racing) I ended up riding the past 9 years on a Pinarello.

Those Cervelo commercials on Versus are making me crazy, because I want to be Racingcervelo now... ;)
  • 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
    ladybugamanda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Originaly mine was going to be Cosmonaut. My step daughter took over my e-bay account and changed my original e-bay ID there to Cosmonaut. But I entered my real name in the wrong place when I registered here and I just let it stay. I started to ask the Mods how big of a deal it would be to change it, but everyone knows me by Greg so. It stays.

Or as GMC!
  • 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
    ladybugamanda
    My email user name is ladybug - and I collect them...my first name is - you guessed it...Amanda. Not much imagination for that one!
  • 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM
    chevyasylum
    I'm a brand newbie here. My login name is a reflection of my main web site: http://www.chevyasylum.com

At one time I had quite a number of Chevy muscle cars and it got kinda crazy trying to keep them all maintained and so on..."asylum" was suggested as a descriptive name for what was going on. Here's one of them:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/80elky/071303_23r8.jpg

I don't have as many cars as I used to, and I even own a Ford (1929 Model A rat rod) so the name isn't as valid as it use to be.

I started with a cheap Sony digital camera (the photo above was taken with the cheap Sony) and eventually moved to a Canon 350D. I'm very happy with it, although I'm still learning things about it. Most of my photography is automotive-oriented and I suppose I'm in a rut of sorts. I'm in the habit of trying to take 1 or 2 shots of a particular vehicle to provide a visual description rather than present an "art shot."

This page has an example of my current type of shots.
    http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing07/...118r8_jpg.html

I'm just a dabbler at this, but I seem to enjoy it..so I do it. :)

Ray (aka ChevyAsylum)