• 03-05-2005, 11:18 PM
    almo
    ex-Korn guitarist finds God!
    Well after the recent news about the shooting of Dimebag Darrel, I found this news to be rather refreshing. It would seem that ex-guitarist and founding member of korn Brian Welch was baptized in the River Jordan in KIBBUTZ KINNERET, Israel just 3 hours ago.

I say may God bless and use him to spread a good message to the youth of this country, and the world.

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment.../06/74059.html

almo
  • 03-05-2005, 11:43 PM
    DownByFive
    Re: ex-Korn guitarist finds God!
    Wow...I remember seeing Korn in concert in my younger days. Interesting also that I stayed not very far from Kibbutz Kinneret last summer...
  • 03-06-2005, 06:41 AM
    another view
    Wonder if he's friends with Blink 182's former guitar player...? ;)
  • 03-06-2005, 09:30 AM
    Arctirus
    I've heard of Korn but never heard their music. Cool that he's become a Christian though.
  • 03-06-2005, 11:06 AM
    paulnj
    Almo, did it by any chance tell you were I might see GOD, so I can take the first image of HER? Yes , I said HER (all the stories about god lead me to believe that god can't be a man)

If he was truely found.... a picture is in order to prove the statement ;)

NO MATTER WHAT ONE'S BELIEFS ARE..... A belief that make's YOU happy is all I think is great! the rest is insignificant to me !

OH NO... STRYPER / early U2 RUINION COMING SOON ;)
  • 03-06-2005, 11:17 AM
    Axle
    God is God. God is neither male or female, but if refered to as Father in the Bible. (Which is the Word of God).
  • 03-06-2005, 11:36 AM
    Trevor Ash
    I'm not religious, and I don't believe in god, in any form. I believe there is nothing after death. But I do find it amazing the good things that religion can do for humanity......I'd hate to ponder what the world would be like without it. So good for him. From reading the article, he needed some salvation from a downward spiraling life. Personally, I'm always waiting for the day where something drastic changes my mind about things.....it'd be soooo much easier believing that there was something after death.
  • 03-06-2005, 12:02 PM
    paulnj
    "Which is the Word of God".... WRITTEN BY MEN :) hahaha . I know full well that all the translations of "the bible" call god "FATHER", but so do kids of gender reassigned parents ;)

MINOLTA WARRIORS :) YOU GO !!!!!!!
  • 03-06-2005, 04:28 PM
    Axle
    Yes, you're right, the Bible was written by men....but all scripture is God breathed/inspired (2 Tim 3:16). Which means it came from God, either from the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit (God, the three in one, Trinity). Which means that even though it has been translated into many different languages God would not allow it to be tainted in any way, shape, or form. In fact when compairing all the 'modren' versions of the Bible (and I'm talking NRSV, NIV, Today's English, MKJV) to the dead sea scrolls (Contains such books as Isaiah) there was very little difference between the two.

I personally think it's awesome whenever anyone gives their life over to Christ, weather they're a well known figure, such as the guitarist from Korn, or just a Bob Smith living on the Street.
  • 03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
    schrackman
    Paul

Quote:

NO MATTER WHAT ONE'S BELIEFS ARE..... A belief that make's YOU happy is all I think is great! the rest is insignificant to me !
    Apparently you don't really share that sentiment, otherwise you wouldn't have responded in such a condescending way. Try not to be so obvious, Paul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    Almo, did it by any chance tell you were I might see GOD, so I can take the first image of HER? Yes , I said HER (all the stories about god lead me to believe that god can't be a man)

If he was truely found.... a picture is in order to prove the statement ;)

Yes, like a photo of God would do you any good. Cain spoke face to face with God, and yet he still refused to believe God. What makes you so different?

Besides, God has already given a picture of himself in Jesus Christ. The Scripture teaches us that Christ is the express image of God. Learn of him, and you'll see God. Choose to remain ignorant about him, and you'll never get to see him.

Almo,

Quote:

Well after the recent news about the shooting of Dimebag Darrel, I found this news to be rather refreshing. It would seem that ex-guitarist and founding member of korn Brian Welch was baptized in the River Jordan in KIBBUTZ KINNERET, Israel just 3 hours ago.

I say may God bless and use him to spread a good message to the youth of this country, and the world.
    Amen. I hope the story is true and I hope that he becomes a great witness for the Lord.
  • 03-06-2005, 11:34 PM
    jtp
    Speaking of DB Darrel, here a few pictures that I took of him this past spring. Vinnie and my little brother are in Las Vegas as we speak.
    http://kissrocks.com/images/bands/damageplan_30.jpg
    http://kissrocks.com/images/bands/damageplan_33.jpg
    http://kissrocks.com/images/bands/damageplan_25.jpg
    kissing babies? Coulda been a politician.
    http://kissrocks.com/images/bands/damageplan_24.jpg
    These are very small versions of the originals.
    JP
  • 03-07-2005, 05:36 AM
    Axle
    Quote:

Yes, like a photo of God would do you any good. Cain spoke face to face with God, and yet he still refused to believe God. What makes you so different?
    Actually Cain just spoke to God, not face to face. No man has been able to look right at the face of God, since it's so glorious it would kill a human. The only person who has seen God in his heavenly form (father/creator) is Moses and then it was only God's back, not front. And still Moses face glowed afterwards so much that he had to cover his face to prevent people from going blind. A photo of God, well that'd break your camera and kill you.

Quote:

Besides, God has already given a picture of himself in Jesus Christ. The Scripture teaches us that Christ is the express image of God. Learn of him, and you'll see God. Choose to remain ignorant about him, and you'll never get to see him.
    Absolutly! Christ is God in a way that we can understand and interact with!
  • 03-07-2005, 08:33 AM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Actually Cain just spoke to God, not face to face. No man has been able to look right at the face of God, since it's so glorious it would kill a human. The only person who has seen God in his heavenly form (father/creator) is Moses and then it was only God's back, not front. And still Moses face glowed afterwards so much that he had to cover his face to prevent people from going blind. A photo of God, well that'd break your camera and kill you.

Well, did not Jacob did say that he saw God face to face? Of course God has been known to appear in theophanies, so I can see how this would be quite possible. But you are correct...no man has seen God in all his glory. Some people think that if they could just see God then they'd believe, when the fact is one would still have to take God by faith regardless of seeing him in some physical form.

Quote:

Christ is God in a way that we can understand and interact with!
    This is refreshing to hear. I'm getting tired of hearing people say we can't understand God when we most certainly can--through Christ.
  • 03-07-2005, 09:16 AM
    Axle
    Quote:

Well, did not Jacob did say that he saw God face to face?
    Yes, you're right there. (Gen 32:22-32). But as it says in vs. 24 'So Jacob was left alone and wrestled with a man until daybreak'. Then in vs 30 'So Jacob called the place peniel, saing, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.'

So this is perhapes the first appearance of God in human form.

Quote:

take God by faith regardless of seeing him in some physical form
    That is what faith is, believing in something, in this case God/Christ/Holy Spirit, and the death/resurection of Christ without seeing it.
  • 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
    paulnj
    Ray,

you crack me up!

Why do you think that you know my thoughts, my faith(or lack of ?), my TRUE nature and most importantly.... MY ABNORMAL SENSE OF HUMOR? I assure you MY HEART is PURE and I do not FEAR the truth ONCE you discover it.

YOUR BIBLE may have these verses....

James 4:4 and James 4:11 wait those to me read DO NOT judge and churches are adultresses :)

Matthew 7:1 and Matthew 7:17-20..... WHICH ONE DO WE FOLLOW?

John 7:24 OK, do we judge our fellow man or not?

and Romans 2:1 OH I LIKE THIS ONE :)

1 Corinthians 4:5 ... PONDER THIS why don't you

Romans 14:10 .....AMEN

1 Corinthians 5:3.... OH NO.... GOD is everywhere, so he does truely know me and my HEART :o

You truely need to rethink what you have just written next time, because those seemed to be JUDGEMENTAL words you wrote. BUT WAIT.... the Bible is unclear as to it's stand on that matter anyway

NOW I'VE DONE IT.

Almo....

I truely am sorry that my comments were not taken as nothing more than a poke in the ribs (PHOTOGRAPHYREVIEW/ IMAGE of GOD....get it)

I do think it's GREAT that he has chosen a religious path over a drug addiction
  • 03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
    villenadecorte
    Is this what ViewFinder is for?????????????
    GO BACK TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE AND PLEASE READ WHAT VIEW FINDER IS FOR!

ViewFinder Forum
    General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and Liz.

Seriously- if "Religion or Belief" are a contributing factor to your photography- by all means, post that.

But if you want to talk Religion in an area where you're supposed to talk Photog....
    Go here:
    www.faithforum.org
    Or one of the ten million other sites that host this sort of thing.

You know, usually I ignore crap like this, and am a pretty reserved person in ranting and raving but come on- I've been off the boards for months and back on for a few weeks and this is like the umpteenth time I've seen a post like this, followed by ranting and raving and Bible-Thumping- In-Your-Face-One-Liners- Spouting Bible Verses.
    Dont use this site to be a missionary.
  • 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM
    another view
    villenadecorte, recently we posted guidelines for posting here in Viewfinder. It was decided that religious/political/etc posts were OK - as long as everyone stays civil. Discussions like this will heat up, but it seems like everyone is pretty respectful of one another. As long as it stays like that, we probably won't change anything.

I agree that posts like this have no direct connection with photography, but it is a way for members to get to know each other. Sometimes understanding someone's background helps when looking at their work. Personally, I usually stay out of these discussions...
  • 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
    Dzerzhinski46
    Doesn't this fall under the "Philosophy" heading? After all, Viewfinder is kind of a free for all anyways, isn't it?

[quote=almo]Well after the recent news about the shooting of Dimebag Darrel, I found this news to be rather refreshing[quote]
    Yes, very refreshing indeed. "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters."

(oh, by the way, his title does sound a bit like a National Enquirer headline, :D)

This then is the Divine Mystery Paul. God is so far beyond our comprehension (infinite in fact) that labeling God as female or male is useless (you forgot that she is black too :D). We think of God in human terms in order to understand, but that does not mean we fully understand God. And yes, "Judge not for you shall be judged with the same measure you use...". But Jesus also said, "Go therefor and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you". You have a wonderful sense of humor Paul, and God loves you too. God bless. :)

Dzerzhinski
  • 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
    Arctirus
    Re: Is this what ViewFinder is for?????????????
    It seems to me that this thread got out of hand by people who felt the need to speak out against religion instead of just leaving the topic fade into obscurity. I didn't notice the original poster preaching or quoting any bible verses but merely quoting a news article not unlike many other off topic posts on PR. Lighten up people; just because someone mentions religion doesn't mean that's a que for everyone to start a debate. I'm happy for the guy and glad he turned his life around. 'Nuff said.
  • 03-07-2005, 10:56 AM
    paulnj
    SOUND TO ME LIKE YOU JUST MIGHT GET MY POINT and UNDERSTAND my comments.

I find humor in just about anything, but that seems to get me into debates(which I wish I never entered). I am far from being a moron, so I can debate ANYTHING if I choose to :)

NOBODY on this bourd truely knows me, but I assure you Penny knows me the best....

Penny, feel free to discuss the REAL me that you have gotten to know with ANYONE!!! My only request is to not publicly discuss me (as in post here for the world to read)
  • 03-07-2005, 11:01 AM
    villenadecorte
    Well thank you for clearing that up- I didnt know that there was even a decision on such a thing. I found the original posters topic to yes, be obscure and interesting... but the "same old argument" following to just be out of place.
    Maybe these types of posts SHOULD have some connection with photography?? If people feel so compelled to discuss religious beliefs, why not go at it artistically and convey through photography how you feel about your beliefs? Atleast it would be more enjoyable that reading the same ol' debate! :)

Cheers,
    Rebekah
    VillenaDeCorte

Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    villenadecorte, recently we posted guidelines for posting here in Viewfinder. It was decided that religious/political/etc posts were OK - as long as everyone stays civil. Discussions like this will heat up, but it seems like everyone is pretty respectful of one another. As long as it stays like that, we probably won't change anything.

I agree that posts like this have no direct connection with photography, but it is a way for members to get to know each other. Sometimes understanding someone's background helps when looking at their work. Personally, I usually stay out of these discussions...

• 03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
    villenadecorte
    Re: Is this what ViewFinder is for?????????????
    Obscure and interesting yes... I actually like the Original Posters topic thats why I decided to read it. But alas, it always starts out interesting and obscure and then...comes the same ol debate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctirus
    It seems to me that this thread got out of hand by people who felt the need to speak out against religion instead of just leaving the topic fade into obscurity. I didn't notice the original poster preaching or quoting any bible verses but merely quoting a news article not unlike many other off topic posts on PR. Lighten up people; just because someone mentions religion doesn't mean that's a que for everyone to start a debate. I'm happy for the guy and glad he turned his life around. 'Nuff said.

• 03-07-2005, 11:37 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    If people feel so compelled to discuss religious beliefs, why not go at it artistically and convey through photography how you feel about your beliefs? Atleast it would be more enjoyable that reading the same ol' debate!

You know, you're right! I think that's a great idea, and I'll let you start... :D
    Thanks for understanding.
  • 03-07-2005, 11:56 AM
    villenadecorte
    I'd love to play along- but I have no religious beliefs to convey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    You know, you're right! I think that's a great idea, and I'll let you start... :D
    Thanks for understanding.

• 03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
    paulnj
    Re: Silence is Golden...
    When the time comes for weighing the prophecies, women should remain silent.

ODD that you would refer that towards my post .... Paul a PROFIT has spoken;)
  • 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
    almo
    Re: Silence is Golden...
    I knew when I posted this that I would end up regreting it, but I was wrong. I am very pleased with the way this has gone. I think this is one of the best discussions I have seen on any board about this subject. But my friends please let me remake my point, as I think it has become somewhat murky:

This is a man who has come to a crossroads in his life. He had a choice to make. One path led to a certain sad and drug addled end, and the other to a place of enlightenment and happiness, and in this moment, when many weak and batterd men choose to do the easy thing and continue in their wicked, hurtful ways this man stood up for change, and for right. This post was for him. It was my expression of happiness for him, and my appreciation to God for revealing himself to him. Wether or not you yourself believe in God, or not doesn't really matter. This is for Brian Welch, not for us. I for one wish him many blessings in his new faith. I would hope that we could all join in that sentiment. Lets not debate who, or what, or even if God is, and instaed let us all rejoyce in the "new life" of this "new man".

almo
  • 03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
    Liz
    Trevor,

Thanks for sharing your beliefs. It is refreshing to find someone who sees the good religion does for people, even though you don't personally believe in God.

I'm always waiting for the day where something drastic changes my mind about things.....it'd be soooo much easier believing that there was something after death.[/

I hope you find that day. And I'll say a prayer you do. :)

Liz
  • 03-07-2005, 05:49 PM
    Photo-John
    Is It Time?
    For an Off-Topic forum?

Religion and politics are almost impossible for most of us to discuss rationally and calmly. Sometimes adding a forum specifically for these topics is the right thing to do.
  • 03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
    Trevor Ash
    Re: Is It Time?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    For an Off-Topic forum?

Religion and politics are almost impossible for most of us to discuss rationally and calmly. Sometimes adding a forum specifically for these topics is the right thing to do.

That might be a pretty good idea. Although, I must admit that ever since the last time I blew up about a thread like this and was explained to that it was okay I actually kind of enjoy them now. But I haven't forgotten how frustrated I was about it before I changed my mind about things.

Liz,
    Thanks, I appreciate that!

Almo,
    Your original point was lost in me. Thanks for reiterating. I'll join you in his celebration :)
  • 03-07-2005, 06:07 PM
    Liz
    Hey Paul!
    I love ya Brother! :) Just as you are! ;)

Liz

Quote:

SOUND TO ME LIKE YOU JUST MIGHT GET MY POINT and UNDERSTAND my comments.

I find humor in just about anything, but that seems to get me into debates(which I wish I never entered). I am far from being a moron, so I can debate ANYTHING if I choose to :)

NOBODY on this bourd truely knows me, but I assure you Penny knows me the best....

Penny, feel free to discuss the REAL me that you have gotten to know with ANYONE!!! My only request is to not publicly discuss me (as in post here for the world to read)

• 03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
    Liz
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    IMO.........no.

I think it's okay for a little heat in a discussion. Then maybe a little reminder to keep it cool. :cool:

I don't think this quite fits into the category of a personal attack - which is less tolerable IMO.

Just my take. I rather enjoyed the different points of view here. You can see my view in my profile. :p

Liz

Quote:

For an Off-Topic forum?

• 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM
    Photo-John
    Fine Line
    Trevor-
    Yeah, it's a fine line. I want ViewFinder to be open to more than just photography discussion. But religion and politics are tricky. And when a community reaches a certain size, sometimes these things just have to be done. I'm not making a decision. But I'm curious what other people think. I have to admit, this discussion made me a little uncomfortable. But unless people are being really offensive and purposefully hurtful, I try to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself.
  • 03-07-2005, 06:15 PM
    walterick
    Ah, from the band that brought you the song A.D.I.D.A.S.:

All
    Day
    I
    Dream
    About
    Sex

comes more profoundity!

I'm with Paul, whatever you wanna believe. Except Stryper, Paul, really?

Besides, you can't find God. God is a verb, not a noun.

Rick
  • 03-07-2005, 06:16 PM
    almo
    Re: Hmmmmmmmmm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    IMO.........no.

I think it's okay for a little heat in a discussion. Then maybe a little reminder to keep it cool. :cool:

I don't think this quite fits into the category of a personal attack - which is less tolerable IMO.

Just my take. I rather enjoyed the different points of view here. You can see my view in my profile. :p

Liz

I agree with Liz...NO. I like things just the way they are. If you don't like the topic don't join in. If we try to iron out every little wrinkle that appears in the fabric of our community then we will be ironing forever.

almo
  • 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
    Liz
    Pj........
    I read all the posts. Strong? Yes. But this is a topic - as you said - that is tricky - and people feel very strong about their faith - whether it's in God - or a belief that there isn't a God. Whatever!

Personally, I have strong feelings about my faith. However, I didn't find anything that I thought was a personal attack - and I certainly wasn't offended by other's beliefs.

I've seen posts that have personally attacked people. I don't find this here - tell me if I missed something. On the other hand, if someone feels personally attacked, I think creating a new forum would make sense. :rolleyes:

Just my take.

Liz

Quote:

Trevor-
    Yeah, it's a fine line. I want ViewFinder to be open to more than just photography discussion. But religion and politics are tricky. And when a community reaches a certain size, sometimes these things just have to be done. I'm not making a decision. But I'm curious what other people think. I have to admit, this discussion made me a little uncomfortable. But unless people are being really offensive and purposefully hurtful, I try to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself.

• 03-07-2005, 06:29 PM
    walterick
    "Which means that even though it has been translated into many different languages God would not allow it to be tainted in any way, shape, or form."

Interesting, that. So that means that there were 2 people who populated the earth? Wthout inbreeding? And when God flooded the world to killl everyone we were again repopulated by just 2 people? Without inbreeding?

Just asking, I always wondered about this.

Rick
  • 03-07-2005, 06:33 PM
    walterick
    I agree. Let it ride. It's been a loong while since anyone here got personally abusive of another. I appreciate that. We've gone through the political and spiritual/religious wheel a few times and still remained civil - though barely at times. Personally, I like it. Though I am one of the antagonisers, for sure :)

Let's just all agree that me and Paul are right about everything and then put these debates to rest ;)

Rick
  • 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
    schrackman
    Quote:

NOW I'VE DONE IT.
    Yep, just look what you started! Shame on you, Paul. LOL Nevertheless, not being one to back down, here are some thoughts for you to ponder:

Quote:

Ray,

you crack me up! Why do you think that you know my thoughts, my faith(or lack of ?), my TRUE nature and most importantly.... MY ABNORMAL SENSE OF HUMOR?

If this is your way of showing humor then yes I have to agree with you, Paul. It is abnormal. Most people would communicate themselves in a manner where all can clearly understand their point or humor, but you chose to communicate yourself to where only one person could understand you. But perhaps you were really intending to spark a bit o' debate????

Quote:

I assure you MY HEART is PURE
    According to whom?

Quote:

and I do not FEAR the truth ONCE you discover it.
    Ahh. Well, I suppose that explains why you have never told me the name of the "god" you spoke about several months ago, or how he has revealed himself to you, or how he has communicated his commandments or spiritual principles to you, if indeed he actually has any. So I would like to restate the challenge to you. Enlighten me.

Quote:

YOUR BIBLE may have these verses....

James 4:4 and James 4:11 wait those to me read DO NOT judge and churches are adultresses :)

Matthew 7:1 and Matthew 7:17-20..... WHICH ONE DO WE FOLLOW?

John 7:24 OK, do we judge our fellow man or not?

and Romans 2:1 OH I LIKE THIS ONE :)

1 Corinthians 4:5 ... PONDER THIS why don't you

Romans 14:10 .....AMEN

1 Corinthians 5:3.... OH NO.... GOD is everywhere, so he does truely know me and my HEART :o

You truely need to rethink what you have just written next time, because those seemed to be JUDGEMENTAL words you wrote. BUT WAIT.... the Bible is unclear as to it's stand on that matter anyway .
    Paul, Paul, Paul. Better start reading things in context instead of just copying and pasting and hoping to fabricate a biblical contradiction. Gonna have to try a bit harder than that, buddy.
  • 03-07-2005, 07:36 PM
    Axle
    Quote:

And when God flooded the world to killl everyone we were again repopulated by just 2 people? Without inbreeding?
    Actually if you read the story, there was more than just Noah and his wife onboard. There was his sons, and their wives and children, and their wives and children. Yes there was proably inbreading which could explain how frail our bodies are today.
  • 03-07-2005, 08:19 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    I agree with Liz...NO. I like things just the way they are. If you don't like the topic don't join in. If we try to iron out every little wrinkle that appears in the fabric of our community then we will be ironing forever.

(Photo) John, funny you mention this. I was about to suggest a separate forum but decided to back off after I thought about it a little more. That idea came from another kayaking board that has a "bicker & banter" forum, because there are a lot of the same old arguements whether you're talking about kayaking or photography - or life in general. They decided to put all of those threads in one place and it seems to work for them, usually at least.

John's (Almo) quote above is pretty much what I decided on. It's hard to know for sure (but a good guess is pretty easy :)) which are the threads that will require a little extra watching over. There would be a point in discussions like this that we would have to move the thread to the new forum and then people might not see it to follow it.

Far as this thing goes, it's a pretty close-knit but still public place. If it's not for you then don't participate in it - just like changing the channel on the TV.