Edgier Senior Portraits

Printable View

• 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM
    JETA
    Edgier Senior Portraits
    I've shot for a high school football team going on my 6th year. I'm constantly getting requests to do Senior portraits from the parents of the players.

First I balked because I'm not the type of person who likes the normy obligatory portrait shots plus I didn't look at myself as a portrait photographer. I've been working at it for a couple years now. I'm adding the obligatory poses, but love catching the essence and personality of the boys I'm shooting. The boys always have great ideas about the things they love and are more then willing to incorporate them and pose.

Here are two faves from my last Senior Portrait shoot. Surprisingly, his Mom is getting both these shots enlarged. The shop that did his tattoo is framing this photo and hanging it in their shop.
    http://juliesaltvick.smugmug.com/pho...48_bgmir-L.jpg
    http://juliesaltvick.smugmug.com/pho...08_o8Dex-L.jpg
  • 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
    Liz
    Re: Edgier Senior Portraits
    These are excellent! Your composition is excellent. These guys must love you - you capture perfectly their personalities and character. Nice work.

Just an off-topic question......not to take away from the beautiful portraits!

I noticed a humble Rebel 300D amongst your list of equipment. Do you still use this? I'm asking because I used to have this camera and was always awed at the wonderful results, the IQ and color that came out of this camera with little work. Actually, when I upgraded I sold it to Adina's mom. With my other (upgraded) Rebels, I always had to work a bit harder.

Liz
  • 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    These are excellent! Your composition is excellent. These guys must love you - you capture perfectly their personalities and character. Nice work.

Just an off-topic question......not to take away from the beautiful portraits!

I noticed a humble Rebel 300D amongst your list of equipment. Do you still use this? I'm asking because I used to have this camera and was always awed at the wonderful results, the IQ and color that came out of this camera with little work. Actually, when I upgraded I sold it to Adina's mom. With my other (upgraded) Rebels, I always had to work a bit harder.

Liz

Thank you Liz! :)

The Rebel sits in a camera bag for the most part. My husband uses it when he needs photos for work and my 11 yo son likes to shoot along side Mom sometimes so that's his camera.

It is a well loved and was a well used camera. It shoots as good today as it did years ago. I bought it when my now 20 yo was playing 8th grade football!
  • 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
    mtbbrian
    These are great!
    I was asked by a friend to do some senior portraits of her daughter, using my Holga..
    Thanks for sharring!
    Brian
  • 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
    Old Timer
    Senior portrait are so often cookie cuter portraits. If you have seen one you have seen them all. Not Yours!! Nice work Julie.
  • 05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
    jetrim
    These are great, but honestly - this is the direction the senior portrait market has been moving for some time now, that's why it's such a huge highly profitable market in most of the country.
  • 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrim
    These are great, but honestly - this is the direction the senior portrait market has been moving for some time now, that's why it's such a huge highly profitable market in most of the country.

I don't know a thing about the Senior portrait market. I'm just saying I enjoy shooting portraits that bring out who these people really are. I'm making no claim to fame. Just enjoying what I'm doing and for me that's what it's all about . :)