ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Yes, I know I have been gone for awhile

Between work, many family health issues that seem to keep cropping up and trying to do some photography, my time has been rather limited for internet. I will try to do better in the future.

Just as an update, I am in the process of trying to get a business started. At this time I am doing notecards with my images on the front. I have sold a few to friends/family, but now I want to see how they will do in front of total strangers. I am trying to decide on a supplier for boxes. I have already picked out a few stores here locally to approach for putting the cards in.

Through a friend that just recently became the new Park Manager for Blue Licks State Resort Park, I have some opportunites to sell stuff there. They are going to have their first annual Short's Goldenrod Festival to celebrate the rarest plant we have in the state. Besides a small area in Indiana, the Park's Nature Preserve is the only other place in the country that this plant grows. She has invited me to set up a booth there for the festival which is September 16th.

I also found out that they will have the annual recreation of the Battle of Blue Licks which is from the Revolutionary War next month. I have a roll of Ilford Delta 100 I plan on using, but what else would be good from a color stand point?

That's what I have been up to. Hopefully, I can get some pics uploaded soon.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Yes, I know I have been gone for awhile

Hey Srobb,

Nice to have you back! Sorry to hear about the health problems. They're always tough to handle emotionally.

Congrats on your new business ideas! I hope everything pans out for you. As for color film, the only one left that I like for all-purpose is Fuji Reala. Muted colors good for portraiture, and pretty okay for nature and such too. Fine grain, very sharp. If you want something more saturated, look at Kodak Gold 100, which is much grainier but more saturated.

Good luck!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Good to have you back, I was beginning to think you had forgotten about us here at PR. Hope everyone is back in good health. Sounds like you have some good thinks going with the notecards. My son has been marketing notecards here in F'burg with his pen and ink's of the local covered bridges. He has done very well with them, hope you are successful also. When is the recreation? I have photographed it in the past but not since I've been totally digital. Would like to make it again this year if it works into the schedule.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks, Rick and Larry. It feels good to be missed.

Larry, the recreation is August 19th and 20th. I believe the recreation itself starts at 3pm on each day. I am hoping to get some good stuff and be able to have some good prints that I can then sell at the festival which is Sep. 16th.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    Larry, the recreation is August 19th and 20th. I believe the recreation itself starts at 3pm on each day.

Thanks, I put it on my calender, I may see you there.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Welcome back, hope everything is getting back to normal. Congrats on the business - let us know how it goes! Maybe with doing some things with the park you can get some special access to the battle to get closer to the action for unique perspectives. B&W sounds like an obvious choice but color can be good too.

The only color neg I used much was Portra 400NC which is low-saturation. If it were me, I'd probably try Portra 400VC which has more saturation but still good skin tones. However - it needs to be printed properly so see if your lab has worked with it before and use what they're most comfortable with for best results.

I was actually thinking about you this morning while on my tractor. It just seems you vanished for awhile, but I understand why. Welcome back and hope everything works out with your health and the new business.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

drg

Welcome back. Hope things continue to improve with the health issues.

Best wishes w/the card business. Have you considered one of the slide films?

For color renditon that is accurate and translates to print well,
    have you tried FUJI Astia100?

Good luck and we'll look forward to pics from the event in August.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

As an update on family also

Thanks for the suggestions all. I may just look into the Astia, drg. Hopefully if I am able to get some good pics, I will post them here. Larry, hope to see you there.

One of the family health issues is one of my nephews. He is 27 and now has been diagnosed with a genetic blood disorder. Don't know the name, but it has something to do with the blood proteins. They are all out of wack. The doctor told him he could throw a blood clot at any time. Because of that, he will now be on cumitin(sp) for the rest of his life.

Liz

Welcome back! I'm glad to see that you've gotten back to us - you were definitely missed. I'm sorry about your family health issues, and will say a prayer that everyone concerned will improve in their health.

I hope your business endeavors are successful......again, it's good to see your around PR.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    Between work, many family health issues that seem to keep cropping up and trying to do some photography, my time has been rather limited for internet. I will try to do better in the future.

Just as an update, I am in the process of trying to get a business started. At this time I am doing notecards with my images on the front. I have sold a few to friends/family, but now I want to see how they will do in front of total strangers. I am trying to decide on a supplier for boxes. I have already picked out a few stores here locally to approach for putting the cards in.

Through a friend that just recently became the new Park Manager for Blue Licks State Resort Park, I have some opportunites to sell stuff there. They are going to have their first annual Short's Goldenrod Festival to celebrate the rarest plant we have in the state. Besides a small area in Indiana, the Park's Nature Preserve is the only other place in the country that this plant grows. She has invited me to set up a booth there for the festival which is September 16th.

I also found out that they will have the annual recreation of the Battle of Blue Licks which is from the Revolutionary War next month. I have a roll of Ilford Delta 100 I plan on using, but what else would be good from a color stand point?

That's what I have been up to. Hopefully, I can get some pics uploaded soon.

Thread Information