ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

More Camera Testing

Well, in honor of Photo-John's sacrifice, I decided to put the new D300 through an afternoon of skiing. This is nordic skiing though, so no shots from the lift.

Anyway, I decided to see what the D300 would do on it's own, so I was either using aperture or shutter priority, no exposure comp, active D-light on normal, and the picture control was set to vivid with all settings on auto. The roof and groomer are straight out of the camera, just resized.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Camera Testing-msm_0937rs.jpg   More Camera Testing-msm_0943rs.jpg   More Camera Testing-msm_0950rs.jpg   More Camera Testing-msm_0970rs.jpg  

Re: More Camera Testing

Just a couple more....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Camera Testing-msm_0960rs.jpg   More Camera Testing-msm_0966rs.jpg  

Solitude?

My roommate was up there boarding today. He said it was awesome. I was up at Alta again. My legs are worked. You'd think all the cycling would help.

The photos look great. I'm really, really impressed that these are all pure auto exposure with no exposure compensation. The D300 has done a very good job of exposing so that the images have detail in the snow but aren't blown out. These images feel very natural and true to what I'm sure it felt like up there. I left Alta a bit before 2 because I was tired, visibility was getting worse, and I wanted to get out of the canyon before everyone hit the road. This California boy doesn't have much snow driving experience
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: More Camera Testing

Ya, I overslept and all the traffic lights from home to the highway weren't working, so I didn't get up there until about 2:30. It was starting to get pretty off and on by then. But where I grew up in Idaho, they wouldn't cancel school if we got 2 feet of snow. So I'm pretty used to the driving. Anyway, I'm also hurting from today. Apparently my theory that 'just thinking about working out is as good as the real thing' has been falsified. But all the trails are supposed to be groomed tomorrow. So I think I'll had up again for another beating. This time I'll shoot in RAW so we can see with and without D-Lighting.

Thread Information