• 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
    Sebastian
    Re: Doors
    Thanks Frog... :D
  • 08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
    SmartWombat
    That's lovely.
    The light fall-off giving a dark background, the doors as a frame, highlight detail in the dress, it's all there.
    But then I expect you to do that :)
  • 08-12-2008, 01:15 PM
    mattbikeboy
    It great! I would have liked to see a little more space below her feet (but it might not work as well).

mbb
  • 08-12-2008, 02:03 PM
    Lori11
    Simply stunning........
  • 08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
    Sebastian
    Thanks everyone! :blush2:

About the crop on the bottom...I had to balance the space around the dress and the white bar that is the carpeting. I found the white bar to be distracting, so I cut off as much as I could stomach. I rationalize it because the main focus is on the face/highlight on the door. What do you guys think, does it work?
  • 08-12-2008, 04:04 PM
    mattbikeboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Thanks everyone! :blush2:

About the crop on the bottom...I had to balance the space around the dress and the white bar that is the carpeting. I found the white bar to be distracting, so I cut off as much as I could stomach. I rationalize it because the main focus is on the face/highlight on the door. What do you guys think, does it work?

Yeah, that is one of those things that you see when you work on the file -- we just see the finished piece. :thumbsup:

mbb
  • 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
    Old Timer
    Another example of your eye for composition and wonderful sense of tonal value. Exceptional work Seb.
  • 08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
    Frog
    I don't think it would lose balance with a bit more of the carpet...about the width of the border but then I might change my mind when I saw it.
  • 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
    gahspidy
    Here's what happens when you have a beautiful bride and a skilled photographer . . .
  • 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
    Sebastian
    Thanks for the kind words everyone...
  • 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Well, IMO the shot has it all: nice tonality, composition balance, subject posing, and good detail from white to black.

Quite the parlour print...

Personally, I have the darndest time creating b&w from digital. This image is definitely a successful one...
  • 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
    Sebastian
    Thanks Steve.

The B&W is actually pretty easy to pull off. I just do a straight greyscale conversion and then massage it using levels and S-curves.
  • 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

I just do a straight greyscale conversion and then massage it...

Hmmm. Does her husband know about this? :D
  • 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
    reverberation
    Quote:

Thanks Steve.

The B&W is actually pretty easy to pull off. I just do a straight greyscale conversion and then massage it using levels and S-curves.

That is one way to do it. I think a better way would be to do it as a four color picture. You have a wider range of options that way. Using layers you can create an infinite range of tonal variations.
  • 08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reverberation
    That is one way to do it. I think a better way would be to do it as a four color picture. You have a wider range of options that way. Using layers you can create an infinite range of tonal variations.

I'm well aware of that. I never found any of those methods to give me anything better than what I get using my method, and the extra work was irritating.