ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Camera Bag Recommendations

So, I'm in the market for a new bag.

Currently I have a Pelican Backpack.

I'm looking for something a little more user friendly.
    I'm not married to any specific brand, I prefer quality (obviously), and will probably buy on-line.
    I need something that will fit about 2 bodies, 1 flash, and 5 lenses. (plus accessories)
    This needs to be something I can carry around as I have a rolling case for my back-up and extras.
    I'd also prefer it to be a carry-on as I'll be traveling to FL in November.

I've looked a little bit at B&H, but nothing intensive.

I'd like whatever feedback anyone can share.

Yes, i did look at the reviews here, but there aren't a lot for bags.

TIA

oh... if anyone is interested here are some recent shots of my pregnancy.http://www.photokat.net/belly.html

GB1

Re: Camera Bag Recommendations

I have several bags and haven't really noticed that much difference between them. But I totally agree w/ you about backpacks. I have one and it might be good for carrying stuff, but terrible for the numerous stop n shoots I do.

The most ideal situation is probably a vest, though I hate them

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Bags are the worst, aren't they? I've been thru more bags than any other equipment but for the last 4-5 years I've used a Domke F2. I haven't been looking to see what else is out there because I finally found one that works for me. I have the canvas one and it actually is more waterproof than you'd think, but it does come in ballastic nylon too. The canvas wears in after awhile so the nylon looks a little "dressier" (still prefer the canvas, thank you). Depending on the lenses, the F2 might work for you. I can fit my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (not the latest VR lens) in it, but not by much. Two of my other lenses have 77mm filter diameters too, so it's a tight fit but it works. One trick for bags like this is to get a couple of rear lens caps and super-glue them back to back. Works great for shorter lenses.

I have a Domke bag, too, and love it (though I didn't think I would when my trustworthy salesman told me I would love it). I don't understand this part of your post. Could you expound? Thanks!

"One trick for bags like this is to get a couple of rear lens caps and super-glue them back to back."

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm in the same boat. I have a Lowpro backback that's great for holding a lot of gear, but way too big for shorter hikes and things like that. My smaller bags are too small to take what I want for those same types of hikes. I'm also going to be doing some traveling so I need a carry-on bag as well.

Take a look at some of the sling style bags. They have a single shoulder strap so you can carry your gear on your back, but they swing around so you can easily access you're gear. I'm not sure if they are big enough to hold everything you want, but worth looking into. Another type of bag that I looked at was more of a fanny pack style. You could strap it to your waist, or use the shoulder strap, or both to help distribute the weight. The one I looked at had lens cases that connected to the each side of the bag. You can get differens sizes depending on the lenses you're taking with you. A water bottle fit's nicely in the lens case as well.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hi Katt,

I carry a backpack, but day-in day-out I carry a Domke shoulder bag. I am able to fit two cameras, a flash, note book, and it's so easy to stop and take photos.

I have a couple of sizes, one is for a single SLR body, and the other is for two. This past weekend I went out of town on business and was able to carry my camera, bose headphones, cell phone, Nikon F6 and two lenses..easily. Slide under my feet or easily on top.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Hi Katt,

I'm not sure my recommendation is big enough for you, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I have a Crumpler "7 Million Dollar Home," and I love it. It will hold an SLR w/lens, plus about 4 more accessories (lenses/flash/2nd body). It's not cheap, but it's made very well, doesn't stand out as a camera bag, and is easy to access on the go. I just got back from a two week trip where I carried my D70s w/lens, a Canonet, travel guides, a bottle of water, and various other little things with some room left over. It was perfect for that.

Paul

drg

For that much gear a backpack plus a single camera case might be the best bet. You might consider a case like one of the sling cases menitoned for the 'primary' camera you are using and keep it in front and a backpack for all the other stuff. I like the Lowepro Top Loaders (AW of Zoom) for camera 'cases' and they have harness capabilities with add ons for lens-film-flash memory-water bottles and other accessories. I try to travel light and use a primary body and one really top quality zoom on the camera and if I'm taking a backup or secondary DSLR I mount a different lens on that body. Unless I'm working and then it looks like the invasion.

We had another post recently (I'm not finding it quickly) about traveling with gear. When I travel with lots of gear I FedEx to my hotel. It is insured, it is waiting and no lugging it through the airport or worrying about checking it or having security people wanting to randomly inspect many many thousands of dollars worth of equipment. The big ABS Pelican case I've had forever is a little scarred and the foam has been replaced, but it locks, FedEx doesn't care as long as the label stay on and they won't tip it if I put the Tip Warns on it!

Best of luck!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Not Enough Reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by katt
    Yes, i did look at the reviews here, but there aren't a lot for bags.
    Katt-
    Have you posted a review for your Pelican backpack? If it's not listed, please let me know. But the only way we have enough reviews is if people take the time to post them (guilt, guilt )

And everyone else looking at this thread, please post reviews for your cases and backpacks. There's a contest right now so your review will count as an entry. The prize is a brand new Canon G7 digital camera.

Review contest details >>

Read and write camera bag reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your reviews!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hi Katt

I have been using the Tamrac Expedition 7 for a few years and it has been great. It's a large pack, so you might not need all that space. But it will fit everything you want to carry, and has excellent padding for when you're carrying it. It even stuffs in overhead bins (though sometimes just barely.) If you find the Expedition 7 is too large, you might want to look at a smaller sized Tamracs, like the Expedition 5, 4, or 3... They seem to make a pretty good bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Good luck!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Not Enough Reviews?

PJ,

I reviewed the Tamrac Expedition 7 earlier this year and the review is now gone. I wonder if this has happened to other reviews?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I use the crumpler Brian's Hot tub, fits nicely in the overhead bin, two bodies, only 3 lenses though: 100-400L. 70-200:, EFS 10-22, 2x TC, 580EX, batteries, cables, filters & stuff, but might not quite handle your 5 lenses...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    PJ,

I reviewed the Tamrac Expedition 7 earlier this year and the review is now gone. I wonder if this has happened to other reviews?
    Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it. It wasn't actually gone. There were four versions of that backpack listed and yours probably wasn't coming up first, so you never saw it. Now they all show the same reviews and I think I have the system set so that only one of the pages will show, instead of all four.

Please let me know if you run into more problems like this.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Not Enough Reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    If it's not listed, please let me know. But the only way we have enough reviews is if people take the time to post them (guilt, guilt )
    I'm busted... I just posted one for the LowePro backpack I have, but the Domke F2 isn't listed. There are tons of these out on the street - add it and I'll post a review.

Thread Information