ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Don't know why this makes me bristle

And I can't find any mention of an image stabiliser either in the camera or in the lens
    Ok, it isn't true, every Olympus pen has a sensor based stabilizer, speaking from experience, I can vouch that they are quite effective stabilizers. They also have panning options, which will stabilize on either the vertical or horizontal axis, or both.

I'm afraid if you don't like the viewfinders in the A77 or Nex-7, then your expectations for an EVF are unreasonable. EVF will never look quite like optical, but, they still provide you a view of the scene and allow you to do the job that needs to be done, with even more effectiveness granted by its HUD. So its not an optical view, so what? The end result is the same, and the efforts that lead to the end result are easier granted by the technologies of the EVF. The only difference is that there is some sentimental attachment to an optical view. So, why complain with "I didn't like it"? You have a more effective viewfinder, that assists you in accomplishing the task of taking a photograph with greater technology than available in optical viewfinders. The view, while not quite an optical view, is still excellent, and even more so it is an effective tooling of viewfinders. Tell me, in what way does the EVF in an A77 hinder your ability to take a photo? How does an optical viewfinder help you take a better photograph than an EVF??

What did you think about the Nikon V1's EVF?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

OK for the in-body stabilizer. I couldn't find a reference to it on the web site.

At the Salon de la Photo in Paris last October the Sony stand and the Nikon stand were next to one another with the Sony A77, NEX-7 and Nikon V1 all readily available to try. I actually went back and forth several times and compared notes with other people.

The viewfinder on both Sony models looked gaudy and unnatural plus there when you moved the camera there was a slight lag. The V1 looked quite pleasant and natural. I would not be able to judge colour on the Sony models.

Perhaps the Sony models were prototypes? Puzzled. But definitely not impressed.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Gaudy?? Did you know that the HUD was customizable to your specific liking, as many or as few status indicators, gauges and meters as you want? Might have removed its apparent gaudiness.

What sort of color judging are you capable of doing on the V1 that limits you on a Sony? The viewfinder in the Nikon is most likely manufactured in a Sony plant as well. Sony has for a long time been one of the leading manufacturers in LCD displays, widely recognized as the leader for quality resolution and color. Professionals have long relied on Sony's displays as the highest grade in the industry. But now, according to you: Sony's 2.5 million dot OLED viewfinder doesn't compare with Nikons 1.4 million dot TFT EVF?? Excuse me for being skeptical of your judgment.

I've had experience with, and been a believer in the values and benefits of EVF for 10 years now, with my first experience with the Minolta Dimage A5 in 2001, and the future Dimage A200/A2, Sony's F828 and R1, even some good point and shoots, and of course Olympus' outstanding (but expensive) modern EVF attachment for Pen's. I've enjoyed the benefits they offer for a long time, alongside my use with pro-grade optical viewfinders as well in the 5D, D200/D300, 40D/50D/60D and A700. Now, Sony has hit the highest grade, best quality EVF ever conceived and already you dismiss it with a cursory glance at a photo show; even calling it gaudy without considering the HUDs customizability. I didn't have such problems working with color on a 10 year old EVF, I don't know what you're talking about now.

Heres what Dave at Imaging-resource had to say about the A77's EVF
    Bottom line, while we still like the visual experience of looking through an optical viewfinder, the Sony A77's TruFinder addresses a number of traditional EVF issues, and brings such a host of other benefits that we'd be happy to make the optical/EVF switch with it.
    He makes the criticism that its EVF doesn't show very subtle highlight and shadow detail. He makes no such criticism for the color, and also compliments its massive size, saying
    The first thing that strikes you about the A77's viewfinder is how big it is. If you're used to shooting with normal subframe SLRs, you're in for a pleasant surprise the first time you look through the A77's EVF. It's really more a size you'd expect to see on a high-end full-frame SLR selling for thousands of dollars more. It's also incredibly sharp; the first EVF we've seen with XGA (1,024 x 768) resolution; a staggering 2.4 million RGB dots.
    Yes, there is a lag. 2 milliseconds, to be precise. Yes, Optical is better at 0 milliseconds, true that. But, I'm a patient guy, I'll just wait the 2 milliseconds.
    - Charlie

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Good point Terry. Still I have a hard time seeing lytro integrating with pro-gear any time in the near future.
    Hmm I reckon Lytro took technology from pro-gear, using a medium format sized (but cheaper) sensor and then adding the f/2.0 microlenses grouping the sensor sites with around a 10x10 image under each "ray" captured.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I said it made me bristle. Never said I wasn't being irrational!

Seriously, my market won't be demanding any of this anytime soon so I should just appreciate the innovation. I'm a portraitist first and foremost, and my current "stuff" works for studio and location just fine. And true that I don't see the death of the DSLR anytime soon. But you all brought up some very interesting thoughts on this whole concept.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Seriously, my market won't be demanding any of this anytime soon so I should just appreciate the innovation. I'm a portraitist first and foremost, and my current "stuff" works for studio and location just fine. And true that I don't see the death of the DSLR anytime soon. But you all brought up some very interesting thoughts on this whole concept.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Well Said!

Nice comments, Sebastian! No need to be threatened by new gear options. If what you have works, that's great! But if you wanna lighten up your camera bag, now you have a choice
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler View Post

I think this is more immediate of a shift for consumer grade and casual users, before its more ubiquitous with professional use. The trend is growing from the bottom up. Its hard telling when their could be a real thorough change in professional world, it doesn't seem like the DSLR can go away anytime soon.

Mirrorless still has a long way to come though. But considering the onslaught of new mirrorless bodies in the past year, the movement certainly has some increasing momentum.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    I think this is more immediate of a shift for consumer grade and casual users, before its more ubiquitous with professional use. The trend is growing from the bottom up. Its hard telling when their could be a real thorough change in professional world, it doesn't seem like the DSLR can go away anytime soon.

Mirrorless still has a long way to come though. But considering the onslaught of new mirrorless bodies in the past year, the movement certainly has some increasing momentum.
    For most people, compact system cameras are more than adequate. But the perception is still there that a digital SLR will get you better photos. For the most part though, that's not really true. And it's especially true if your DSLR system is too big and heavy so you always decide to leave it at home
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The perception of a professional's requirements are always shattered once you actually get to be on set for one of these shoots. Very common for Rebels to be used next to $60k Hasselblads. Best tool for the job.

I really see travel shooters, *especially* professional ones, flocking to mirrorless in droves.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Well I for one am very impressed with the EVF on both the a77 and NEX 7. I had to double check the specs on the a77 when I first got it to make sure I was looking at a digital image. I also like the fact that what you see in the finder is what you get as a picture, no more chimping.
    For having Live View the a77 is blinding fast on AF. I think you may see EVFers on full frame camera next.
    When I first got into photography I read a book, can't remember which one, that stated to embrace technological advancement don't fight it. My camera bag that I use for my NEX 7 is half as big as my Olympus one was. It's keeping us old guys in the game.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

You know, I often think about technology companies and why they do the things they do. I have immense respect for Apple because they're willing to say "No, I don't care how much you want to hold on to the old, it's crap and we're done with it." The only photo company I see having the same attitude is Sony. Rather than constantly pandering to the insecure traditionalist that is more worried about looking less serious than taking good pictures, they are throwing old convention straight into the trash and trying out new things. Look at how quickly the NEX-3 and 5 were replaced with the 5n and 3C. Sony bought into solid tech when they acquired Minolta, and then really stepped up and started innovating and iterating through ideas. I have had little respect for Sony in general over the past few years, mainly because although their technology is solid, they rarely do anything fresh with it outside of their home market. But their photo division is ballsy, and I love it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Well put sebastian. I wish more people in the photo-culture could understand that respect for Sony and their ambition.

to embrace technological advancement don't fight it
    Well said. I think many of the people who are criticizing EVF's today are a lot like those who criticized auto-focus in the 80's, or digital in this past decade. There is always some market cultural resistance to technological advancement/change.
    The viewfinder on both Sony models looked gaudy and unnatural plus there when you moved the camera there was a slight lag. The V1 looked quite pleasant and natural. I would not be able to judge colour on the Sony models.
    And others still are only open to technological improvement if and when it comes from their favorite brand.
    - Charlie

The very reason I bought into Sony is they are different than other companies, they are innovative and think outside the box. Do any of you remember when the NEX series was intoduced? Everyone though it was so ugly.
    When I sent my a77 in for repair I used the NEX 7 for my landscape shots and was happy I could do everything with it that I could have done with the a77 and get the same IQ to boot.
    I do not trash other systems and don't consider myself a fanboy or brand loyal. I use what I think can get the job done. Some of the other companies are going to set back and let Sony leave them in a trail of dust if they are not careful. There is already an adapter that allows the use of Canon lenses on the NEX.
    sonyalpharumors | Blog | Huge! New Metabones Canon to NEX adapter with electronic aperture control!
    Another company I am impressed with is Fuji.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information