Does Size Matters??

Printable View

• 07-24-2008, 05:23 AM
    Old Timer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Does Size Matters??
    Size does matter to some. I'll bet that young photographer wouldn't trade the big one she has slung over her shoulder for anything else.
  • 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM
    bluesguy
    Re: Does Size Matters??
    Ahhh, a reminder of my mis-spent youth when toting' that bar and bale was just done without thought. When muscles were lean and strong, not fat and weak in midlife. LOL. She will learn about that down the road. Hope she works out to keep her legs and upper body in shape

bluesguy
  • 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM
    ciddog91
    No that is hauling some gear. must be nice to be to young to need to pair down to essentials. Ah to be 25 (or more) years younger....
  • 07-24-2008, 06:37 AM
    Liz
    Wow! My back hurts just looking at the photo.

I always thought I could lift and carry just about anything! I used to offer to carry things for everyone - and was proud I could do it. Then one fine day when I was about 50 y/o I confidently picked up a relatively small TV (not LCD small). I felt something give in the middle of my back, put the TV down, stretched - and it went away............until that night. When I got home all I did was bend over - and I couldn't get back up. That was the beginning of my back problems. As the saying goes - the rest is history.

I love my gear....but now size and weight MATTERS! :D

Liz
  • 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
    Loupey
    Too bad that lens isn't white with a red line around it :p :p :p
  • 07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
    deckcadet
    Nah, black with the gold ring rocks. I've got an idea of how she must feel lugging that thing around, though.

http://NikonMadness.smugmug.com/phot...89_iKkSJ-M.jpg

Me about a year and a half, 2 inches, and 15 pounds ago.
  • 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Me about a year and a half, 2 inches, and 15 pounds ago.

Hey, you looked a lot like your avatar back then.

I'm mistaken - any lens that big should be wrapped in camo :thumbsup:
  • 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
    Photo-John
    But she told me it didn't matter :(
  • 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John

Yeah right! And you believed her?
  • 07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
    deckcadet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loupey
    Hey, you looked a lot like your avatar back then.

Similar times, different lenses. If you can imagine, back then I'd carry around the 400/2.8 on one monopod with D200+grip, another D200+grip with 70-200 VR, and a 200 f/2 VR on another D200+grip with a monopod. I'd usually pass off one camera to the younger students I was teaching.

I'd kill for another 400/2.8 right now, but I've got a lot of money tied up in bodies and wide glass, too, so I'd have to give up the 200-400 VR to do so and I like the flexibility...besides you can hardly find any nowadays. Stupid D3 and D300 made everybody switch and buy them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John

I think she was just being nice...or using you.
  • 07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
    Loupey
    Quote:

...Stupid D3 and D300 made everybody switch and buy them up.

What's a D3 and D300? :)

Getting back on topic, it is interresting to watch the lens hierarchy at work. I've noticed that the people with the smaller lenses almost always give up their space to the people with the bigger lenses. Like some unwritten law or something.

Nice to take advantage of it though. But ironic that the biggest lenses have the closest seats. :p
  • 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I'll bet that young photographer wouldn't trade the big one she has slung over her shoulder for anything else.

Hmmm, an obvious case of telephoto-envy :ihih:

Ok, I won't get into the Freudian aspects of this. But if you ask me, any lens that won't let you be close enough to your subject to talk to them without shouting is useless... :D
  • 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
    walterick
    Me too John.

Man, me too.
  • 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    But if you ask me, any lens that won't let you be close enough to your subject to talk to them without shouting is a useless... :D

But then if your subject is going 170 mph and you have to have ear plug anyway...that big boy might just come in handy.
  • 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
    Asylum Steve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

But then if your subject is going 170 mph and you have to have ear plug anyway...that big boy might just come in handy.

Well, I've shot some pretty fast women, but none quite in that category... :D

Besides, when you shoot with a wider lens, it allows you to get in, uh...closer.

Which can be a nice thing... :ihih:
  • 07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
    sharon333
    That is a great shot. In my book size does matter.
  • 07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
    jorgemonkey
    Quote:

Similar times, different lenses. If you can imagine, back then I'd carry around the 400/2.8 on one monopod with D200+grip, another D200+grip with 70-200 VR, and a 200 f/2 VR on another D200+grip with a monopod. I'd usually pass off one camera to the younger students I was teaching.

I'd kill for another 400/2.8 right now, but I've got a lot of money tied up in bodies and wide glass, too, so I'd have to give up the 200-400 VR to do so and I like the flexibility...besides you can hardly find any nowadays. Stupid D3 and D300 made everybody switch and buy them up.

So whatever you do for a living I'd like to join you. I wouldn't mind just having one 400/2.8 lens, and half your bodies!
  • 07-26-2008, 07:36 AM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Besides, when you shoot with a wider lens, it allows you to get in, uh...closer.

How come most of my subjects don't look like that?

Mine usually have more that two legs, hair in all the wrong places, or smell really bad. Definitely no mammary glands either.
  • 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Well, I've shot some pretty fast women, but none quite in that category... :D

Loupey I think you and I have been hanging with the wrong crowd. Most of my models have compound eyes too. With subjects like Steve has I don't think I'd want to be as far a way as a 400mm lens would dictate. Anytime you need an assistant and Sebastian isn't available I'm as close as a plane ticket.
  • 07-26-2008, 08:54 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Anytime you need an assistant and Sebastian isn't available I'm as close as a plane ticket...

Ah, the way he's going, pretty soon I'll be assisting for him... :cool:
  • 07-26-2008, 01:01 PM
    deckcadet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    So whatever you do for a living I'd like to join you. I wouldn't mind just having one 400/2.8 lens, and half your bodies!

But Jorge, I take pictures for a living now...that and write reviews...
    And it ain't much of a living.
  • 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

With subjects like Steve has I don't think I'd want to be as far a way as a 400mm lens would dictate.

With a couple extension tubes, I can focus my 500mm down to about 10'. So I don't need to be too far away :p

Btw, my last name in Japanese translates to "long". Really :D
  • 07-26-2008, 08:03 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

With a couple extension tubes, I can focus my 500mm down to about 10'. So I don't need to be too far away :p

Btw, my last name in Japanese translates to "long". Really :D

Good point and just think how impressed she would be with something that size up that close.

And I think you are pulling my leg about the Japanese translation.
  • 07-26-2008, 08:32 PM
    mn shutterbug
    Quote:

How come most of my subjects don't look like that?

Mine usually have more that two legs, hair in all the wrong places, or smell really bad. Definitely no mammary glands either.

Dang, I think I have to get more versatile. I think I'm missing out on something. :mad2:
  • 07-26-2008, 08:44 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

And I think you are pulling my leg about the Japanese translation.

LOL - only another Japanese-speaking person can confirm or dispute that :D