ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

with disappointment comes success...

I recently turned in two photos to my local college photo show. I was really excited because I did my own darkroom work and thought I had some good pics. I turned them in and we recieved the results yesterday. They decided to show one of them, but they didn't show the one that I spent the most time on. I wasn't too sad since I made it in the top 20 out of 70. Needless to say I did not win anything, but I did see some amazing photos by some amazing people, and got plenty of new ideas becasue of it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for this story however.

The picture I turned in that didn't get used I also turned in for a photo assignment for class. My teacher gave me a 98 for it, which is almost unheard of for him, since he doesn't give 100's; ever. So needless to say that has given me more of a confidence boost than any show could have ever done. I will try and post the pics in the critique forum as soon as I can use a scanner.

Zack
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Re: with disappointment comes success...

Zack,

I hate photo competitions. Photos are impossible to grade or to compare to each other IMO. What makes one photo better than another? Sure, the subject is different, but how does one actually look better than another? It's always baffled me.

That being said, way to get the high mark and keep on shooting.

Jared

Glad that you got something out of both of them. Good lesson here too - competitions are based on the judges opinions, and this is also at least partially true about a photograph that's graded by a teacher. What one person likes, someone else won't. And it's funny how sometimes the shot you spend so much time on isn't the one that is best received...

Pentax Forum Moderator

Congratulations...It's always great to get recognition. Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your shots and will keep an eye out on critique forum.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information