ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liz

Red face Did you do your TAXES?

my plan for this evening.

Every year I say I'm going to do it in January.

The good news is I just call it in (do the Easy-form)

Liz

Re: Did you do your TAXES?

Ah, taxes are never fun. I finished mine via online with TaxWiz, but even those can be confusing. Oh well, it only happens once a year

OH NO, I DIDN'T DO MY TAXES!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, my husband did.

NO, HE DIDN'T!!!!!!!!

his accountant did.

They went in the mail today.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I usually dont get around to it until at least june
    just too busy
    no penalties for me anyways

I got my refund in the middle of February...Gotta love e-file!

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Liz

Notation on my IRS form.....

For the past 2 years I've been able to file by tele-file (phone).

There is a notation on this year's booklet that says this is the last year they offer the telephone filing option.

It takes about 10 minutes (with a little practice ahead of time) So I'm disappointed. Guess I'll do the internet filing next year.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz

Liz

Re: Notation on my IRS form.....

When I did my own simple taxes, I loved TurboTax. It was actually fun to do taxes then. And it walks you right through everything.

Liz

Question Question.......

On the NJ tax it has a line that says

"Use Tax Due on Out-of-State Purchases"

I'm afraid to ask, but what is that?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    When I did my own simple taxes, I loved TurboTax. It was actually fun to do taxes then. And it walks you right through everything.

Re: Question.......

Whenever you purchase taxable items or services for use in New Jersey and the seller does not collect the appropriate sales tax, you are required to pay use tax to New Jersey. For example, if you purchase taxable merchandise from a mail order house and they don’t charge New Jersey sales tax, it does not mean that tax is not due; it means that the mail order house is not authorized to collect New Jersey sales tax. You, the purchaser, must pay 6% use tax directly to the Division of Taxation.

If you make a purchase in another state which has a lower sales tax rate than New Jersey, use tax is due at the rate of 6%. If, however, that state has sales tax reciprocity with New Jersey, a credit is allowed for the sales tax paid to that state.

Use tax can be reported and paid on several different forms. Individual taxpayers may report and pay any use tax due when filing their New Jersey Resident Income Tax Return, Form NJ-1040. Businesses who file sales and use tax returns with the Division report and pay use tax on Forms ST-50 and ST-51. The Use Tax Remittance, Form ST-18, is also available to report and pay use tax.

To order the Use Tax Remittance, Form ST-18, or other tax forms.

For more information on use tax, see our publication ANJ-7, Use Tax in New Jersey.

Updated: Thursday, 02/27/2003

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa....htm~mainFrame

Kelly you're so funny!

You'd think after working for an accounting firm for 8 years mine woulda been done by now.
    Alas, last minute appointment tomorrow morning. Slap on the wrist.

Oh well... better than when we had our 02 taxes done... in October 03. Talk about extensions, extensions, extension.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Now THAT is funny...

Kelly,

Wow, you sound so serious. Ok, I realize you were quoting from a tax publication, but you make it sound like someone would actually DO that: pay NJ (or any state for that matter - Florida has a similar law) sales tax on stuff bought through mail order or over the net.

In my case, not bloody likely... ;)

My brother and I call this a PHANTOM TAX, as in something that exists in a State Revenuer's convoluted little mind, but not in reality.

As there is no way to realistically enforce this type of law, it is pretty much voluntary, and as my brother (who was in the Navy) told me. "never volunteer for anything..."
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Now THAT is funny...

I am daddy's 'lil tax break, so I didn't have to file this year. I'm worth $3,500
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Liz

Question One LAST Question.......

Kelly - I won't drive you crazy, I promise this is the last question, but I'm intrigued by this - as I never thought of it before. I don't remember seeing that specific line prior to this year.

How does this work with the stores? Many people buy from out of state just so they don't have to pay tax - and they make that clear all over the internet. For example - most NY (and of course other states) larger photography stores ship all over the US. They don't charge tax except if you purchase it at the store - and take it with you, regardless of where you came from.

Do these stores report these transactions to the IRS? What is their responsibility? Any?

And we are supposed to keep a record of everything we purchase out of state - and at the end of the year, fill in the total for all of these purchases on the state tax form?

Liz

Whenever you purchase taxable items or services for use in New Jersey and the seller does not collect the appropriate sales tax, you are required to pay use tax to New Jersey. For example, if you purchase taxable merchandise from a mail order house and they don’t charge New Jersey sales tax, it does not mean that tax is not due; it means that the mail order house is not authorized to collect New Jersey sales tax. You, the purchaser, must pay 6% use tax directly to the Division of Taxation.

If you make a purchase in another state which has a lower sales tax rate than New Jersey, use tax is due at the rate of 6%. If, however, that state has sales tax reciprocity with New Jersey, a credit is allowed for the sales tax paid to that state.

Use tax can be reported and paid on several different forms. Individual taxpayers may report and pay any use tax due when filing their New Jersey Resident Income Tax Return, Form NJ-1040. Businesses who file sales and use tax returns with the Division report and pay use tax on Forms ST-50 and ST-51. The Use Tax Remittance, Form ST-18, is also available to report and pay use tax.

To order the Use Tax Remittance, Form ST-18, or other tax forms.

For more information on use tax, see our publication ANJ-7, Use Tax in New Jersey.

Updated: Thursday, 02/27/2003

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa....htm~mainFrame

"Use Tax Due on Out-of-State Purchases"
    Can you say "Fifth Amendment"? ;)

I think most states, if not all, have this. What it's saying is that when I buy something (as an Illinois resident) at B&H (in NYC), they don't collect sales tax because they don't have a storefront, warehouse, etc anywhere in Illinois. It's my responsibility to pay the 7-1/4% sales tax (local rate) to the government for that purchase. If I buy from a place that has a presence here in Illinois - say Calumet Photo - then they charge me the tax so it's already paid.

That's how it's supposed to work. The reality? See the first line of my post...

Same thing is true with cars (at least here) but much more controllable because a car has to be registered. I could go to Wisconsin and buy a car, but would have to pay the Illinois sales tax (based on what my local tax rate is) when I register it. Can't get around it this way.

Re: One LAST Question.......

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I guess they really *did* simplify the language of tax instructions! Made it sound like I was talking!

I don't know any more than you. I just googled.

I'll try to find the answer for you but it might not be today.
    Last edited by opus; 04-15-2005 at 07:52 AM. Reason: oops! duh

OK I asked someone, and they think that no, the store does not report it to the IRS, but if they are ever audited, the state has the records.

but if they are ever audited, the state has the records.
    Mmm... That will be a scary day...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I am with ANOTHER VIEW.... skip that line ;)

I bought well over $12000 on the net this years, last year and plenty of years prior. I can seriously add up $20k in FILM purchases from B&H alone.

I NEVER give NJ tax on mail order/ internet purchases , nor will I EVER.

As for my taxes.. TELEFILED my fed tax 3 weeks ago and mailed my state yesterday.

BTW ... TURBO TAX did Michelle's taxes(got her more than H&R BLOCK and her accountant EVER did) and my friend uses it every year(his portfolio is HUGE!!!!, as is his wife's pention) with a few tips from his daughter who is a CPA. TURBO TAX, though I have never used it, is said to be BETTER than most CPA's from what I have been told.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Oh please, ours were done on Feb. 1st

The big question is....What did you spend your taxes on? (assuming you got some back )

We went to Chicago for a week, spent some on the house, and then some misc. stuff.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Ranter and raver.

Adina>> Good question. I did mine back in January because I knew they'd be easy and I would be getting money back. Too bad the money I got back was spent on car repairs and insurance!

I saw the line about items purchased out of state (that's how it's worded in the TaxCut software). I'm like hmmm... no

One thing that did peak my interest though was the section about hobby deductions. I really need to do some research on that one for next year! Though the plan *giggle* is to not spend much on photography this year, since I have my *istDS and 31mm Limited now.

Liz

Dear Kellybean,

Thank you.........sorry for all the complicated questions. I didn't mean for you to look it up - as I would have done that after getting the link. But I was debating whether to do the form over again claiming the Rebel XT and had the envelop ready to mail. Thanks!

Guess what! After all that worrying - I almost did the form over to include the $900 for the XT - then I realized. I bought it in 2005! YIKES.........
    I have a year.

Now we can all enjoy the nice beautiful sunny warm weekend.......if our taxes are done.

Liz

OK I asked someone, and they think that no, the store does not report it to the IRS, but if they are ever audited, the state has the records.
    Liz

Liz

Spending the money

Well, even though I waited to the last minute ;) I had already spent $300 of the $600 on photo equipment - and the rest went toward the XT - or will when I pay off the credit card.

My income tax return is my photo equipment allowance each year. I get about the same amount back, so know what to expect. Sometimes I end up charging the item about a month in advance and pay it off before I have to pay interest. That's what I did this year. So, I always look forward to tax time.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Oh please, ours were done on Feb. 1st

The big question is....What did you spend your taxes on? (assuming you got some back )

We went to Chicago for a week, spent some on the house, and then some misc. stuff.

Almost done

Liz
    I don't know why I wait, when I have all of the information ready to go, but maybe I like the excitement of riding my bike at night around parked cars in front of the post office.

I should've done it earlier as I am getting a pretty large refund. Used up almost my entire equipment allocation from last year and had larger expenses this year. In addition, not being employed for three weeks last year really put a dent in my gross income. So overall my lower income with my larger expense line on the photography line = large refund = upgrade 1D Mk2 to a 1Ds Mk2.

This will really help me with my stock photography agency http://www.onrequestimages.com) which need 44mg files at 8bit with no interpolation.

Hooray for the tax code!!!

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Re: Almost done

OK, so maybe we don't have to do our own taxes, but we also don't get a refund.

Ah, the perks and woes of business ownership.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Our accountant starts gettng on us very early in the new year. We were done, check written and turned in by January 30. I did have to make a quarterly payment for this year though.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information