ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Hanging Steel

Hanging Steel

My son is one of the architects on this project. I went by today and noticed thay had started to hang some steel so I stopped and got a few pictures for him so he could see the progress being made. My wife was with me and was fascinated with how these guys walked around on the beams while securing them in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hanging Steel-hanging-steel-24.jpg   Hanging Steel-dscf0046.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Hanging Steel

Ah, scary job. Wouldn't be comfortable doing that job! That being said, somebody's gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    My son is one of the architects on this project. I went by today and noticed thay had started to hang some steel so I stopped and got a few pictures for him so he could see the progress being made. My wife was with me and was fascinated with how these guys walked around on the beams while securing them in place.
    I wasn't sure just what 'hanging steel' was a euphamism for.

I worked for a while at a nuc power plant in MD providing radiological control coverage for a bunch of steelworkers who had built the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Those guys were WHACKED.
    ----------------------------

The Job forman was a little concerned when he saw me taking pictures and wanted to know who I was and why I was taking pictures. Since my wife is one of the school district officials and this was a school they were working on he let us slide. She is going to use some of the pictures in the monthly newsletter to teachers that she is putting out this week.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer

Neat shots OT. I really like the second one.

You mentioned the foreman wanted to know who you were. I'm sure he feared you were OSHA, and he was worried about violations/fines. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Neat shots OT. I really like the second one.

You mentioned the foreman wanted to know who you were. I'm sure he feared you were OSHA, and he was worried about violations/fines. ;-)
    You are right on that count. He even made reference to it. We assured him we had nothing to do with any regulatory agency or insurance company.

These shots were with the Fuji S602Z my walk about camera, not the D70.

Nikon Samurai #13

drg

This kind of photograpy is part of what I do regularly for Architects, underwriters and unions to name a few.

Sometimes when its a non-union job people get nervous who are working "off" the books (you'll lose your card). There are some very specific rules regarding insurers inspections (has to do with overlapping coverage).

If you want to shoot this kind of stuff (its a blast but slow a lot of the time) talk to the foreman or call the General Contractor ahead of time. Everybody like photos of themselves at work, if they know ahead of time. The stuff I really like shooting has to do with cranes and foundation work. This is where the Big Equipment comes in to play. Look for the Putzmeister machines. These are massive concrete pumps that can spray concrete like a firehose! If you can find a vantage point (how sure footed are you) its interesting.

Almost all the work I do of this type is "for-hire" so I don't own those photos (I have lots including a least one or two I've posted taken from public acccess) and so can't/won't display them.

There are some newer labor laws that may or may not apply in your state (right-to-work and all) that also restrict photography.

One example is some kinds of construction are covered by the architects property rights (just like movie sets) if you are one their licensed space.

Lots of neat opportunites though and I know a couple of people who have photographed nothing but construction and storm damage for 20+years.

By the way, this isn't very high hangin'. Try twenty stories or more with open framework under you. If you like heights (I do) its a kick. Not when its windy or very wet but on a sunny day, WOW!

Did you get to see very many picks and the crane walk?

-CDP dr g (gotta go back to work before too long, I'm waiting on slabs to be raised today!) Isn't WIFI great?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

OH NO...I see OSHA violations in these images ;)

Call the press.. hahaha

Not too many sites are free of violations BTW

No hard hats, guy with sneakers ;) ........

Nice document shots Larry

BTW... 30 feet up isn't scary, 120 feet up a tulip poplar in 30MPH wind is ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Steel Erection!

Ha! I'm an engineer and work in the power industry for companies that build and operate their own plants -- big steel, big pipe, big everything! Years ago I started a job with construction projects on the other side of the country. I was sent some video tapes from our site guy to catch me up on the progress. One tape was titled "Steel Erection". My wife saw this in my briefcase (we were very newly wed back then) and she became ... well.... curious...

I said that that tape is pretty "Hot" and asked if she wanted to watch it with me:

"... I am now standing on the NE corner of the HRSG foundation looking south. You can see the new supports for the evaporator section bla bla bla...."

We had a good laugh.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    This kind of photograpy is part of what I do regularly for Architects, underwriters and unions to name a few.

By the way, this isn't very high hangin'. Try twenty stories or more with open framework under you. If you like heights (I do) its a kick. Not when its windy or very wet but on a sunny day, WOW!
    Hey thanks to all you guys that commented on these shots. I'm aware that when it comes to steel work this is pretty small time, however when the tallest building in your whole town is two stories than this get to be pretty big. I wouldn't be suprised to see people bring a sack lunch and spend a whole day watching this around my town.

I took these more just to send to my son to show him what progress was being made at the job site than anything else. He gave them to his boss and emailed them to the engineers as well. It has been so wet here this spring that the construction has really been slow and everyone envolved was just tickled that something was finally going up.

Nikon Samurai #13

A way to find out if you qualify for dental office bleaching is to perform the white paper test. Place a piece of white paper next to your teeth when you are glancing in a mirror. If your teeth look yellow when you put the paper beside it, your teeth will most likely be improved if you have teeth bleaching in the office and your teeth will become a few shades brighter. https://www.pinterest.com/bracecolors/

Thread Information