Did you do your TAXES?

Printable View

• 04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
    walterick
    Re: Did you do your TAXES?
    I owed nearly $9000 on a $34k year income. My H&R rep told me I am paying 30% of my income to uncle sam! :mad: Time to get a home office and recording truck mileage so I can get some deductions. Sheesh.

Rick
  • 04-17-2005, 08:04 AM
    racingpinarello
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    I owed nearly $9000 on a $34k year income. My H&R rep told me I am paying 30% of my income to uncle sam! :mad: Time to get a home office and recording truck mileage so I can get some deductions. Sheesh.

Rick

With standard deductions, (without itemizing), you would have to pay income on $26k, which would be a couple of thousand at the most.

I don't think your HR block person is right, IMHO. I would redo them, and file an admendment to your taxes. I would also check your previous tax returns to make sure that they were right.

Loren
  • 04-17-2005, 08:09 AM
    walterick
    Hey Loren,

Thanks for responding.

I forgot to mention, I am self-employed so on top of my federal income tax I have an additional 15% tacked onto it - with no mortgage to deduct - TA-DA!! I'm paying 30% tax! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the concern though buddy
    Rick
  • 04-17-2005, 08:40 AM
    racingpinarello
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Loren,

Thanks for responding.

I forgot to mention, I am self-employed so on top of my federal income tax I have an additional 15% tacked onto it - with no mortgage to deduct - TA-DA!! I'm paying 30% tax! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the concern though buddy
    Rick

Still check for the minimum threshold for the self-employment, but that sucks. My exwife was self-employed and that tax bites if it applys to all income levels.

Look at writing off your truck's depreciation since they allow pretty large deductions for it.

Loren "I don't wanna pay no taxes to Senior Bush" Crannell
  • 04-17-2005, 08:50 AM
    walterick
    My jaw hit the floor when she told me what I owed. I didn't believe her, so I went and bought tax software to redo it myself. Yup, same numbers :( So I'm stuck. I'll look into depreciating my truck. I remember we discussed that during our session but by that point my head was spinning so I don't remember how we had decided to depreciate it.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • 05-29-2022, 05:12 PM
    FREEDDAWG
    Re: Notation on my IRS form.....
    Hello. Yes, I regularly pay my taxes, because it is my duty as a US citizen. Also, I perfectly understand what my taxes are used for and I see how life around me is improving, which means that I give my earned money not in vain. But recently I had a bit of trouble with my taxes and needed to go to the IRS office which I couldn't find for a very long time until I came across this site where I was able to find an irs office near me.
    This helped me a lot, because if I had delayed paying my taxes a little more, I could have been in big trouble with the law.
  • 05-29-2022, 10:29 PM
    samgood
    Well I do, I just don't have another choice. By the way, the tax preparation became easier as soon as I discovered for myself jackson hewitt and jackson hewitt customer service . I refused from my usual accountant exactly due to these guys.