ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Photography New Year Resolutions???

Happy New Year Everyone!

I know it is already 9 days into 2013; however, I thought I'd ask if anyone here is making any kind of "photography resolutions." I believe we have done this in years past - and am looking for new ideas myself.

I would love to do something that would help me to take more time for photography. Last year I used my camera less than ever before mostly due to my schedule. Plus the winter is always a bit of a setback for me anyway. Some people do the "one photo a day" kind of thing. It doesn't seem to work for me as I lose interest especially in the winter.

I'd love to get some ideas! Anyone?

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Re: Photography New Year Resolutions???

My resolution is to get into macro photography for the first time. Buy a lens and a couple of pieces of software and away I will go......Much to learn and enjoy over the coming year..

I make sure to get out and shoot when the weather is particularly awful. But that's not new for me.

Mine would be to get more creative with my flash. Perhaps play with more film and see what happens with that.
    Be less of a lurker here and contribute.
    Jimmy B

I would like to comment on the 365 picture a day concept. I like steak very much but if I forced myself to eat it every day it wouldn't take long and I would get tired of it and not want any at all and I would think that you would get the same result with having to take a picture every day. How many times have you read one of the 365 pic a day threads and the poster said I took this shot because I had to have a picture to post. To me if that is the reason for using your camera it is very counter productive. To me the goal should be to improve your photography skills while still being able to enjoy what you are doing and not make it into something that you have to do and no longer are doing for enjoyment or to get better images. To me it isn't that important that I take a picture every day but if I learn something that will help make my images better and I just don't seeing a mandatory picture a day accomplishing the results that it is intended to get. This is just my thoughts on the 365 picture a day thing and have no desire to get into a debate about the pros and cons of doing it.

Now as far as myself I will be concentrating on the use of my flash and multiple flashes to get better lighting. I need to get more familiar with how to change settings quickly so I can get the results I am looking for and be able to without fumbling around in the process. I have three different flashes, SB900, SB800, and SB600 all of which work differently setting them up. I wish I had all three the same because it would make it a lot easier but that just is just not the case.

I also plan on purchasing a Better Beamer flash extender for use on my bird and wildlife pictures. So this year will hopefully be the year of mastering my flashes to get better lighting.

I think this was a good topic Liz and I would like to add that I hope you and everyone else has a great year in 2013. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Jeff,

This is an excellent post. Well stated - and oh-so-true! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I enjoyed reading it all!

I have so much I want to accomplish - mostly learning the different ways to inprove my photography. I have the Oly OMD and because of time constraints I still have not learned enough about changing the settings, etc. So this is my first goal.

Having said that I would like to add that along with this, I also need to have a "just-for-fun" resolution so that the whole process isn't a "back-to-school" learning experience - but lots of fun along the way! This weekend I will hopefully do something fun with my camera since the temp is supposed to be in the middle-high 50's!

Thanks again.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I would like to comment on the 365 picture a day concept. I like steak very much but if I forced myself to eat it every day it wouldn't take long and I would get tired of it and not want any at all and I would think that you would get the same result with having to take a picture every day. How many times have you read one of the 365 pic a day threads and the poster said I took this shot because I had to have a picture to post. To me if that is the reason for using your camera it is very counter productive. To me the goal should be to improve your photography skills while still being able to enjoy what you are doing and not make it into something that you have to do and no longer are doing for enjoyment or to get better images. To me it isn't that important that I take a picture every day but if I learn something that will help make my images better and I just don't seeing a mandatory picture a day accomplishing the results that it is intended to get. This is just my thoughts on the 365 picture a day thing and have no desire to get into a debate about the pros and cons of doing it.

Now as far as myself I will be concentrating on the use of my flash and multiple flashes to get better lighting. I need to get more familiar with how to change settings quickly so I can get the results I am looking for and be able to without fumbling around in the process. I have three different flashes, SB900, SB800, and SB600 all of which work differently setting them up. I wish I had all three the same because it would make it a lot easier but that just is just not the case.

I also plan on purchasing a Better Beamer flash extender for use on my bird and wildlife pictures. So this year will hopefully be the year of mastering my flashes to get better lighting.

I think this was a good topic Liz and I would like to add that I hope you and everyone else has a great year in 2013. Jeff
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    My resolution is to get into macro photography for the first time. Buy a lens and a couple of pieces of software and away I will go......Much to learn and enjoy over the coming year..
    Macro is fascinating IMO. I love looking at creatures that I am afraid of - and seeing the beauty of them close up. However, it doesn't help me any less afraid! Also, seeing nature through a macro lens is also an awesome experience. I hope you post your shots along the way.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    I make sure to get out and shoot when the weather is particularly awful. But that's not new for me.
    I wish I had your courage! For me cold weather takes the fun out of shooting! I don't mind the wet weather though.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    Mine would be to get more creative with my flash. Perhaps play with more film and see what happens with that.
    Be less of a lurker here and contribute.
    Jimmy B
    Sometimes I wish I had kept one of my old film cameras - but not enough to get another one!

Being less a lurker and doing more shooting is really my No. 1 goal this year to be honest. I don't do much lurking or posting due to my schedule, but if I add up the many "stops-along-the-way" of my day, I think I'd find a bit of time for the camera! Good point!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

This year I want to improve my post processing skills. I know just enough to be dangerous. I hope to get a more professional look to my images by being able to manipulate the raw photo to express how I felt and saw the subject when I took the picture.

Thanks Liz for making me express this, now maybe I will carry through with it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz,

I am doing a macro session tomorrow with a friend and a Tamron 90mm macro lens. We will see what happens on our first attempt!!

Liz

Liz,

I am doing a macro session tomorrow with a friend and a Tamron 90mm macro lens. We will see what happens on our first attempt!!
    That is great - it's always more fun learning when you have someone to share the experience with - and mutual critiques.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe even post a pic?

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    This year I want to improve my post processing skills. I know just enough to be dangerous. I hope to get a more professional look to my images by being able to manipulate the raw photo to express how I felt and saw the subject when I took the picture.

Thanks Liz for making me express this, now maybe I will carry through with it.
    We'll be checkin' up on ya Larry!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

My resolution is to stop spending grocery money on camera stuff.

Right after I get that next lens...... or a second flash.....

Just Me

The fun of photography is almost non-existent without travelling and seeing new places, people. When we're at home, photos often look unsatisfying and we feel the need to overcome that by buying new equipment or seek more learning. When travelling most photos will look fantastic with just a point & shoot camera. My advice is, spend "Zero" on equipment and travel more.

Well first go and although not perfect, I am very pleased with the Tamron 90mm macro lens. The shot was done using the stacking method from 20 shots, all done at f10 and a third of a second exposure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photography New Year Resolutions???-2013-01-11-11.21.19-zs-pmax-2033-x-1346-.jpg  

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

For this year I'm bringing back my 52-roll project, where I shoot one roll of film a week for the whole year. Except this year I've put a twist on the whole thing. When I did my first one I gave no restrictions, I'd pick a camera film stock and go.

However over the course of last year.... Henry's stopped most film processing services (save 35mm C-41), Burlington Camera also cancelled all processing save C-41 but does 110, 126, 127, 35mm and 120/220. E-6 I have to send to NH and takes about a month for it to return to me.

So I needed to do something, b/w, I can develop that myself in my laundry room, so that settled it, I'd shoot 52 rolls of Tri-X, but how about some more restrictions, same camera and lens for the whole year (eek), so I picked out my Nikon F3 and AI-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4 lens, then for developing, Kodak HC-110 Dil. B. Also I'll be doing at least one print (Silver Print) for each week as the project continues on.

So the primary goal, make it through the project, secondary goal, try and build a good level of consistency with developing and printing.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Well first go and although not perfect, I am very pleased with the Tamron 90mm macro lens. The shot was done using the stacking method from 20 shots, all done at f10 and a third of a second exposure.
    Footski.....

A beautiful shot! Congratulations on your new Macro lens! It looks like you've gotten off to a great start. I look forward to seeing more.

Enjoy!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    For this year I'm bringing back my 52-roll project, where I shoot one roll of film a week for the whole year. Except this year I've put a twist on the whole thing. When I did my first one I gave no restrictions, I'd pick a camera film stock and go.

However over the course of last year.... Henry's stopped most film processing services (save 35mm C-41), Burlington Camera also cancelled all processing save C-41 but does 110, 126, 127, 35mm and 120/220. E-6 I have to send to NH and takes about a month for it to return to me.

So I needed to do something, b/w, I can develop that myself in my laundry room, so that settled it, I'd shoot 52 rolls of Tri-X, but how about some more restrictions, same camera and lens for the whole year (eek), so I picked out my Nikon F3 and AI-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4 lens, then for developing, Kodak HC-110 Dil. B. Also I'll be doing at least one print (Silver Print) for each week as the project continues on.

So the primary goal, make it through the project, secondary goal, try and build a good level of consistency with developing and printing.

I love b&w photography. It was a challenge for me to give up the Tri-X and other b&w film. I never developed my own, and probably would still be playing around with it if I did. I do try to do the best I can with digital. I actually purchased a Panasonic GF1 just for all the options it has to shoot b&w. HOWEVER, fun though it is - it is not the same as film.

Enjoy. Keep us updated and post some pics!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Thread Information