ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Curious about finding locations

I'm pretty new to photography. I just bought a Nikon D50 about two weeks ago, and picked up a case, some filters, and additional memory today. Now that I've got a decent setup, I want to start finding locations and planning to shoot at those locations.

When thinking about places locally that I could go, I was posed with a dilemma (I suppose you could say). This may sound like a silly question, but do I just show up, set up, and start shooting? I know that sounds nutty, but let me give an example:

There's an old store front down the street from my home that I want to shoot at night, some long exposures. The building is really old, the paint on the walls is peeling, there are some really nice textures, and a single light in the back that reveals broken glass and other materials on the ground. I think I can get some really cool shots. Can I just walk down there, break out my kit, and shoot away or will a cop get on my case should one drive by?

I think a big part of the problem is that I'm shy and I would just feel really awkward walking down the road carrying a tripod, but I also want to do this as safely and legally as possible. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

Re: Curious about finding locations

Quote Originally Posted by Stillsky
    I'm pretty new to photography. I just bought a Nikon D50 about two weeks ago, and picked up a case, some filters, and additional memory today. Now that I've got a decent setup, I want to start finding locations and planning to shoot at those locations.

When thinking about places locally that I could go, I was posed with a dilemma (I suppose you could say). This may sound like a silly question, but do I just show up, set up, and start shooting? I know that sounds nutty, but let me give an example:

There's an old store front down the street from my home that I want to shoot at night, some long exposures. The building is really old, the paint on the walls is peeling, there are some really nice textures, and a single light in the back that reveals broken glass and other materials on the ground. I think I can get some really cool shots. Can I just walk down there, break out my kit, and shoot away or will a cop get on my case should one drive by?

I think a big part of the problem is that I'm shy and I would just feel really awkward walking down the road carrying a tripod, but I also want to do this as safely and legally as possible. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question

When I was new to photography I was just the opposite. I wanted everybody to see my BIG BAD equipment and be very impressed by me and my stuff. Now I am more discreet. I like people to think I am a nobody. Just a tourist with a big camera.

Welcome to PR.com!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hi and welcome. I'd say that you shouldn't have any problems doing this. Body language tells a lot to other people, so if you act nervous and like you're trying to hide what you're doing then people might wonder what's going on. Just go there, set up and shoot and be yourself. Don't be nervous - a few people might notice that you've got a camera but I doubt anyone, cops included, will care.

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

Hi StillSky

Where to go.
    Gee, I wish I were in the same place as you

I create trips to exercise mine and my partners interest.

The 60, 120 and 180's

In a '60' we have an hour to get there, take pictures and get back. What do we find, I have no idea until it happens.
    A '120', is two hours, but allows us to spend ten mminutes decinding if we are going to go east, west, north or south, grab a flask and hit the road. What we will find I have no idea, but we have a bit more time and can 'select' a stopping space to explore before selecting whatever is our target.
    A '180', We can plan to have a primary target, and a secondary if things don't work out. Time to make a snack and get flasks, filters, addons, coats, boots, towels etcetera for an afternoon or morning out.

Challenge, get to the target to watch the sunrise.
    Challenge, Alphabet Shooting, Target starts with A, then B, then C etc
    Challenge, Leapfrog, snap and move to the point, look, snap again and then move to that point. Continue around thre target, (lake, block, golf course, Mall)

The advantage is in NOT knowing what to expect, the lessons are gained after the event and can help you fine tune for the future.

After each fun trip, ask yourselves, "What did I like", and "What did I not like"? Use these as modifiers for the next ad-hoc trip. ;)

Dont forget to take a small quickie digicam with you. I use a little Kodak, by its very nature, it gives completely, but not unuseable pictures and takes the seriousness away from things

Kizz

As long as it's not a power plant or train station, I think you'd be fine. You may want to talk to whoever owns the property if you are nervous about doing it.

People with big cameras and tripods are more common than you'd think. I doubt anyone would think anything of it.

I'd be more concerned about getting mugged and looseing you camera/and or life. Just use a little common sense if your in a potentialy bad neighbourhood. After all, you are inNew York

Wow, thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone

Kizz, that's a really cool idea, I may try that the next trip I plan -->Perkins Memorial

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

That's what I do Kizz! It's always fun and keeps me challenged, because I may not find anything, and there's no real way to be prepared. For a twist to make it more of a challeng, select one lens before leaving the house, and stick with it for the whole trip.

Stillsky, I shoot alot of architecture detail, and recently street scenes. Most that ever happens is someone asks what publication I work for, and what could I suggest for them, or their families. I just make small talk, and keep going. Then again, things are much different in the south.

If you feel akward carrying a tripod, you could get a case, or buy one of those folding chairs, and use the bag. The case could be used for the chair at events where a tripod is not welcome, and leave all three in the car for easy switching.

If anyone stops you, just be honest in your intentons, and you should be fine.

BTW, I once felt awkward too. If you network with some local photogs, or join a photography club it will help you get over that. It's time for festivals/airshows, and both have a multitude of photographers you can meet. At a small show last week, there was 23 of us on the flight line. 10 of us were freelance for a local publication.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Since most of my photography is now combined with Urban Exploration I will try and be as descrete as possible, and usually takes several trips.

- Research, once you have a location figure out it's status
    - Scout, find entry points, determain security and other counter measures
    - Explore and shoot
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

A fluorescent Yellow reflective bib with 'PHOTO' in black on the rear and in smaller letters over the left breast seems to give some folks absolute right of passage to go anywhere with complete immunity.

For thirty bucks you get a passport to go anywhere.

(Like a lot of things in life, it takes a bit of brass and some balls, oh and a Construction Safety Hat helps)

Kizz

Brass as in Neck, or Cheek - not money
    Balls as in spirit or daring-do, not football

Nothing is ever as it seems to be

I'm with almo...being discreet is much easier (and funner) IMO. But, for me, I pretty much go out and shoot and just see where I end up...especially street photography. Landscapes I usually have a planned route and set up I want to follow (especially if it requires travelling).

Welcome to the boards!

Thread Information