Crappy lens test

Printable View

• 08-04-2005, 06:22 AM
    mdmc
    Crappy lens test
    I have a freind that I have been wanting to turn on to SLR photograpy. She is a non photobug and doesent get along with anything electronic, hoever fast af is a must as well as a good veiwfinder.
    I got a Nikon N80, as i have some lenses for it that I can use.
    For the lens for her I went with the tameron 28-300. It covers an impressive range and has macro too.(1/2.9 mag)
    What the techies say; soft all the way through, excessive flair, yelloqw cast. Avoid like the plague.
    What one woman said( my interpretation) Makes great lifetime memories, buy one and be happy!!
    The lens and camera together weigh less than 2 pounds! Wow, thats light. It focouses fast and accurate, is a little noisey.
    Here are some images made at 100mm compared to tokina 100mm macro, a fairly sharp lense.
    I think it will be a great everyday lens.
    1tokina full image.
    2 tokina 100% crop.
    3 tamron image.
    4 tamron 100% crop.
    Mark
  • 08-04-2005, 07:56 AM
    adina
    Re: Crappy lens test
    I don't think it has anything to do with the lens, it's that Nikon that you're using. Everyone knows Canon is better :D

Seriously though, the enlargements do look a little soft, but it's hard to tell because of the subject.
  • 08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
    Speed
    Re: Crappy lens test
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmc
    I have a freind that I have been wanting to turn on to SLR photograpy. She is a non photobug and doesent get along with anything electronic, hoever fast af is a must as well as a good veiwfinder.
    I got a Nikon N80, as i have some lenses for it that I can use.
    For the lens for her I went with the tameron 28-300. It covers an impressive range and has macro too.(1/2.9 mag)
    What the techies say; soft all the way through, excessive flair, yelloqw cast. Avoid like the plague.
    What one woman said( my interpretation) Makes great lifetime memories, buy one and be happy!!
    The lens and camera together weigh less than 2 pounds! Wow, thats light. It focouses fast and accurate, is a little noisey.
    Here are some images made at 100mm compared to tokina 100mm macro, a fairly sharp lense.
    I think it will be a great everyday lens.
    1tokina full image.
    2 tokina 100% crop.
    3 tamron image.
    4 tamron 100% crop.
    Mark

Well, I'd have to say the tokina is sharper than the tamron. But considering the tokina is a fixed focal length macro lens, I would expect that. You're sort of comparing apples and oranges here.

While I haven't used any lens in the 28-300mm range, what I've read suggests that it is a compromise. Not as fast, or as sharp as other lenses, but from what I've read, all the lenses with that large a zoom factor give up some sharpness. On the other hand, for the casual shooter, or someone who wants one lens to do it all, the 28-300mm should be just the ticket.

Have you seen any of the camera reviews that PJ does? If not, check them out and look what he uses to check for sharpness, color, etc. It's an interesting mix.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=36
  • 08-04-2005, 07:56 PM
    Lionheart
    Hey, that's not bad.
    Looks more than acceptable for an everyday all around lens. Nice contrast, saturation, decent sharpness, but still has that cooler color rendition that drove me nuts with my Tamron zooms. I'd like to see what some enlargements made at the long end of the lens look like, though. I've had a couple of Tamron zooms in the days before digital, and I hated every one of them-poor contrast, cool color rendition, poor saturation, very soft through out the zoom range, slow autofocus, and NOISY. I still have one that's collecting dust in the closet somewhere, but looks like they've improved dramatically since the last time I gave Tamron a try. Post a few more, maybe I'll be giving Tamron another look.
  • 08-06-2005, 09:30 PM
    mdmc
    Re: Hey, that's not bad.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionheart
    Looks more than acceptable for an everyday all around lens. Nice contrast, saturation, decent sharpness, but still has that cooler color rendition that drove me nuts with my Tamron zooms. I'd like to see what some enlargements made at the long end of the lens look like, though. I've had a couple of Tamron zooms in the days before digital, and I hated every one of them-poor contrast, cool color rendition, poor saturation, very soft through out the zoom range, slow autofocus, and NOISY. I still have one that's collecting dust in the closet somewhere, but looks like they've improved dramatically since the last time I gave Tamron a try. Post a few more, maybe I'll be giving Tamron another look.

I'll shoot some more with it tomorrow And post a new thread soon.
    Mark.