ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    GB1

Gotta love power and telephone lines

I've yet to find the right vantage point in San Diego to shoot these scenes..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotta love power and telephone lines-_dsc0400_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Gotta love power and telephone lines

Your search for the spot will be rewarded.
    Jimmy B

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you're persuasive enough, maybe the owners of the building in lower right would let you use their roof?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Yep....I can relate - in a smaller way. Out my living room window I see some beautiful sunsets. On the left there is a beautiful Church Steeple - and on the right a beautiful flag waving over the fire department. It all makes for a great shot - and I have a comfortable place to wait just for the light. One night there was a beautiful rainbow right over the Church steeple.

I tried my best - but the most outstanding part of my photos were the wires.......and more wires - thick, thin, long and short.

You scene is still beautiful!

Liz

GB1

Thks for looking everyone. The problem is that although there's decent angles here, but just seems there's a great one there waiting to be discovered.

Jimmy, I need to keep looking for that spot.. MAYBE it's over on Coronado which is across the bay from the downtown area. Once I find it I will probably laugh that I never thought of that before!

Frog, actually.. I think they'd bark at me for taking this because they've now banned cameras from the military facilities I work at. They're afraid a terrorist will take photos of the fences, buildings, etc and then plan out an attack (making sketches are also verboten). I was technically outside the controlled areas at a little auxiliary spot, but if I ask I bet they'd have to say no (as usual). But since I ALSO want to get the moon farther to the right here, over the downtown buildings, I need to keep looking anyway. It seems that the moon often rises around the same spots.

Liz, Yep, they need to bury wires or go wireless. But at least we can digitally remove them, if we have hours and hours of time (lol). That steeple sounds interesting btw - try an all night swirling stars exposure with the steeple in the foreground!

G

My Site

If you have access to the base at Point Loma there are lots of good vantage points if you have a strong lens. Of course, you might end up in GITMO if you're not careful.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    If you have access to the base at Point Loma there are lots of good vantage points if you have a strong lens. Of course, you might end up in GITMO if you're not careful.
    About 6 months ago they passed a rule at those research facilities that says you can't take photographs there. You can bring in a cell phone camera however, and there is some ambiguity as to whether you can have a camera in your vehicle, just not use it or take it out. But photos on those bases are a no-no now. What's funny is that it took > 6 years or so after the 9-11 attacks for them to decide this.

Cabrillo NM is a possibility, but they also shut that down at 5 PM now and chase everyone out.

They really seem to be tightening the screws on us poor photographers!

My Site

Thread Information