ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown - British Columbia - CBC News

Here's their excuse:

“He didn't comply with the request of the security nor the RCMP, so they took appropriate action they deemed necessary to defuse the situation,” said Doug MacDougall, of Metrotown Properties. MacDougall said that Markiewicz was told that he couldn't take pictures inside the mall.

My take is the security guards don't want their pictures taken. MacDougall didn't say no photograph allowed in the mall. He essentially was simply saying the teen did not comply with the guards' order, whatever that was. Fact is, there's no sign saying no photographs. People are taking photographs in the mall let alone when there're public events going on there. Even the police cannot stop you from taking their photographs as long as you're not obstructing their carrying out of their duties. The guards don't want to see their own faces in the news? Too bad and too late now.

Here's a related article:

Police love photos of crimes. Unless it makes them look bad | Full Comment | National Post

Re: Teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

Perhaps he should get a lawyer.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

What a jerk. But even in France, police and security guards can't seize your camera. They can ask you to stop taking pictures. Which is what you do if you have any sense.

By a strange coincidence - I witnessed a snatch-and-run in the shopping mall in Boulogne yesterday. I was sitting eating my Haagen-Dazs ice-cream next to a guy in a dark suit when four people came running past shouting "Thief". Dark-suit said a rude word and shot off in pursuit (obviously a plain clothes security guard).

I finished my ice-cream then wandered off to where a crowd had gathered at a good viewpoint. I had the S95 with me but no pictures, it seemed to finish quite peacefully. Probably a dispute between young bucks..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Rule #1: never make the police (or security guards) look bad. Hasn't he ever seen Fletch?

I dislike going to malls and the mall in the news story I dislike more than most, but I think I'll go and take some shots of security guards. Maybe a group of Vancouver area photographers descending en masse to the Metrotown mall is in order. Safety in numbers. Ought to be a hoot.

Anyone else here from Vancouver want to meet up?

It's not difficult to take the photos of the guards, but trying to provoke them I don't think that's a good idea. Even though something may be within our right to do, I think it would be better to think about if it should be done after all.

Thread Information