ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Time's Picture of the Week

I saw a link to Time's Picture of the Week on CNN today, and (of course) I had to take a look. Really great photojournalism is some of my favorite stuff. So I look at all eight shots and they ask me to pick my favorite. Now, I realize that photographers look at images probably differently than the rest of the world, but I'm surprised that I might have been the only one who picked the shot I did (they only list percentages, not number of votes).

I guess I'll have to tell you which one I chose - it's called Mr. President, and it's the second shot. I thought it was the best story telling image of the group, even though I probably wouldn't want a print of it hanging on my wall or that the subject matter isn't a favorite. But I don't think those two things matter here.

What do you think?

Re: Time's Picture of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I saw a link to Time's Picture of the Week on CNN today, and (of course) I had to take a look. Really great photojournalism is some of my favorite stuff. So I look at all eight shots and they ask me to pick my favorite. Now, I realize that photographers look at images probably differently than the rest of the world, but I'm surprised that I might have been the only one who picked the shot I did (they only list percentages, not number of votes).

I guess I'll have to tell you which one I chose - it's called Mr. President, and it's the second shot. I thought it was the best story telling image of the group, even though I probably wouldn't want a print of it hanging on my wall or that the subject matter isn't a favorite. But I don't think those two things matter here.

What do you think?
    I tried opening the link, and I only get the first image loading over and over.

Bummer.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quite neat AV. Journalistic photos can be quite powerful and amazing. That is perhaps why I like the work of W. Eugene Smith so much. Such a bucket load of emotion all distilled into one photo.

I voted for "Going to Work". I thought is was an interesting portrayal of one of the most powerful branches of our government. One can't help but see things in a new light after looking at a picture like that. Nice post.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Speed, the button to get to the next image is kind of hard to find, but it's there!

Drew, W. Eugene Smith has always been one of my favorites. I found a 1969 Aperture Monograph on him on ebay a couple of months ago - it's very cool! But talk about obsessive -compulsive!

What do you think?
    'Kids Protest" for me. I was surprised by the votes leader (the ship) -- it might have been close to last for me. If not, "Mr. President" might have been my least favorite. It just seemed like so commonplace a photojournalistic shot to me. (I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything - just sharing. I didn't read what you liked until I checked out the site and voted myself.)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My vote would be for Land War. That one seemed to be the most powerful image to me. Kids Protest would be my second vote. If you ask me, the image of the ship seems really out of place among the rest of the photos. Looks more like a vacation shot than a journalistic shot to me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    the image of the ship seems really out of place among the rest of the photos. Looks more like a vacation shot than a journalistic shot to me.
    That's what I was getting at. I suppose it's an easy pick for "normal" (as in non-photographers ;) ) just before Independence Day.

I went and voted before reading the rest of your post too. I picked "Kids Protest" because it actually made me emotional on more than one level: what the kids were protesting, how they were protesting it, and how perfectly the photographer captured them visually. Even the one kid without a mask had his face covered by the megaphone. Just awesome.

But it only got 5% of the vote.

My second choice emotionally would have been "Wave of Fire" (9%).

For the beauty of the photo itself, I might have picked "Surf's Up" (14%), and I certainly understand why "Victory at Sea" was chosen 52% of the time. It is lovely and looks like a painting. I think most people think that a "photo of the week" would be the most beautiful one.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Definately high quality and great shots. Always an interesting alley of work to explore. I like that surfs up one, the colors is magnificent! Very interesting and I'll have to book mark this each week!

Nice find,

Jared

Check out the previous week's. There's an absolutely awesome shot of a burning factory in Russia. It didn't get the most votes, but it's pretty impressively composed, IMO.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

soaking it all in... pixelpixie's Avatar

How interesting, I too voted for Off to Work, it just to me represents what makes our country a great place to live and it also had such a representation of old age giving way, while youth and strength protected the frail and waning of life....the walking stick was just wonderfully caught as well.
    ~SMILES~
    Pixie

Drew, W. Eugene Smith has always been one of my favorites. I found a 1969 Aperture Monograph on him on ebay a couple of months ago - it's very cool! But talk about obsessive -compulsive!
    But that was what made him so good ! Seriously, it was his passion for portraying the image the way he felt it should be portrayed that made him great. It eventually sapped him of everything, but I still admire his passion for his work. Something any photographer might aspire to.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    I like that surfs up one, the colors is magnificent!
    I really like this one too - it's not quite symmetrical and I think that's why it works. It's probably my favorite of the bunch if I were to pick one just on the basis of the photograph itself (not really as much of a story telling image to me though).

Off to work for me.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm hooked

Every since I saw this post back in July I have tried to remember to check out the Time pictures of the week. Thanks for posting this Steve! There are always some incredible photos there, and this week is no exception.

http://www.time.com/time/potw/20050916/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    Quite neat AV. Journalistic photos can be quite powerful and amazing. That is perhaps why I like the work of W. Eugene Smith so much. Such a bucket load of emotion all distilled into one photo.
    Drew
    Nice link I used to do that every week but got away from it for some reason.

I just wanted to say it was good to see someone salute W. Eugene Smith one of my all time favorite photographers. His images were some of the most powerful I have ever viewed.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Well, I guess my lack of training may come out in this post, but, I voted for "Victory at sea". My choice was based on my enjoyment of the naval history as well as the love of ships and oceans, and of course, fireworks. I thought the red hue also made it stand out to me. But, I am in photography, not necessarily for the art, but just for the simple pleasure of enjoying and sharing what I see.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Go back and look at August 31, "Moment of Silence."

http://www.time.com/time/potw/20050902/

I started at the current pictures and went back, and this one jumped out. There are so many great ones...

Paul

Thread Information