ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Classes/Courses - possibly in CT?

HI-
    I've been photographing my kids, outdoors, etc. for over 10 years...and truly enjoy it. Recently, I have had numerous people approach me to shoot their family photos, pageants, etc. Additionally to purchasing a new DSLR (which is a whole other topic! ha), I would like to take a photography course/class (ie: lighting, equipment, composition, etc.) - anyone located in the area of Connecticut? OR - any suggestions on where to turn?
    Thanks so much!

Re: Classes/Courses - possibly in CT?

Check yourlocal community college. Most of them will offer night or weekend courses and any program worth its salt will cover all things mentioned. I think a lot of courses are going digital these days, but some are still darkroom oriented. Some are even doing both, one semester is traditional darkroom, the other is digital darkroom. Look around and you are sure to find one close by. I know of some members one here (Ken) that are doing online course I think and they are enjoying them throughly from what I hear.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Also, in Austin we have classes that are taught by the Austin Museum of Art. If there is an art museum nearby, you might check their website to see if they offer anything.

I think there are a few people around her who have done one of the programs at New York Institute of Photography, www.nyip.com. You might want to check them out, but I can't comment on it first hand.

Good luck,
    Paul

It's been a long time since I lived in CT, but I think there are still a couple places that offer courses beyond the CC level. One is the Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven. Can't speak directly to the course content, but there have always been good people on the faculty. Also in southern CT is Paier College of Art. They offer degree programs but may also have some options for individual courses. Further north, Real Art Ways in Hartford will likely still be happening and might be an option. Good luck!

Thread Information