ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

City Methodist - Gary, IN

Anyone who has been to Gary, IN has visited City Methodist, this greystone church is the poster child for urban decay that is rampant in Gary. Gary, a steel town that had its heart cut out of it in the steel crash of the 1970s remains an explorer and photographer's dream.

The Cornerstone of City Methodist was laid in 1925 by Rev. William Seaman. The nearly one million dollar price tag was fronted by US Steel. Constructed in the English Gothic Style the chuch stands nearly 9 stories tall, with a mixed used building (4 stories) attached which houses an upper floor basketball court, classrooms, parlors, and commercial and office space on the ground floor. By the 1950s the membership roll topped out at 3,000. But by the next decade the steel crash saw a mass exodus of the blue collar population of Gary leave town in search for work. By the time the church's doors closed in 1975 Sunday mornings were attended by 100 or less. In 1997 a wave of arson through the city caused most of the damage we see today to the church. There have been many efforts to save this old structure, the most recent is to turn it into a European style ruins garden, saving the sanctuary, while demolishing the rest of the structure. The will is there, however the city doesn't have the money.

By the time I got here on Sunday morning the place was already crawling with other photographers doing some professional shoots. Just had to wait and work around them.

1-6: Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm 1:2.8G
    7-12: Nikon D300 - AI-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4
    13-19: Rolleiflex 2.8F - Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm 1:2.8 - Adox CHS 100 - Blazinal (1+25) 6:00 @ 20C
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Just Me

Re: City Methodist - Gary, IN

I can assure you that no similar building such as this located in any city in the world would be in this condition except in our great capitalist country of USA where historical buildings belong to the private sector, survive when there is money to maintain them and die without it. Almost nothing belongs to the people, maintained for the people, and add to their heritage. Now that the condition was let to get to this point of no return, it'll remain this way until the decision is taken to tear it down completely to replace it with a cheap strip center ... and of course "through the great city of Gary, IN's respected counsel members free and democratic vote" who were elected to protect the people's interest. So sad.
    My question is, why didn't the city in 1975 claimed it, closed it, guarded it, and later opened it to the public as a historical site?. Why there aren't federal laws that obligate local governments to protect such properties. There are federal budgets that are allocated to building roads and bridges all over America. Why are there no budgets allocated to protect the history of the American people in every town and city of America?.
    I often see how a dirty old car or a roten 50 year old piece of furniture junk are called "antiques" while considered "garbage" in other parts of the world fascinate many people in this country but on the contradiction, people don't obligate their government to preserve such buildings.
    Last edited by geraldb; 06-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Visit My Galleries at: pixoto.com/kal/recent
    picasaweb.google.com/110080263866099360406?gsessionid=RuQL_e_fU_t-RyobiEri0g
    photoforum.ru/my/photos.php?lang=en

Please don't edit and repost my images.

Actually the church is owned by the city of Gary, the city purchased the property and building in 1975 when it was closed. However there's no money in the city, and if it was owned by the private sector, it probably would have been demolished long ago, and a strip mall or parking lot put up in it's place. Also it takes a lot of money to secure and guard locations.

I'm all for historic preservation, but it takes money, something the city doesn't have. And this is not just a US problem, I see it all the time in Canada.

Just Me

Ah well, Canada shares much of the cultural features of "no culture" with the US. Maybe instead of looking north we can look south and see how Mexico and many South American countries are doing it. Many poor developing countries are doing it too with very limited resources. I understand how lack of resources exists in local governments but the Federal government got a lot of money. it is a matter of priorities and the government priorities will not change unless the people tell it to. The army spending is consuming trillions of dollars every year, the army that has not won a war in recent memory.
    Last edited by geraldb; 06-10-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Wow. Looks like you had lots of fun and subject matter to shoot. I need to get out and explore this state a little more. I am only two hours south of Gary and did not know this place existed. I am aware of the history of Gary but never thought to go shoot there. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history. Oh and love the shots. I am drawn into 8 and 19. #8 good DOF and the hall and doors draw me into the picture and make me want to explore what lies beyond what I can see. #19 I see a once regal chair that supported the people in this community. Now a broken back and forgotten. Much like this old church

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agaduc996 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history. Oh and love the shots.
    I agree, Thanks, Axle

Rick

Just Me

Time went by and yesterday the news came out about the bankruptcy of Detroit, I couldn't help remembering this thread. Its appropriate to establish a pattern that is waiting to hit many cities and towns all over the US. Many of us saw it coming for many years when driving around and seeing many towns appear ghostly.
    Last edited by geraldb; 07-19-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Word around Chicagoland is that Gary has instituted a permit policy to photograph any building within the city limits. $50 for the permit or $250 if caught without one.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Alex,

Thank you so much for posting these shots. I missed them when you posted them, but am really glad I had a chance to view them now.

You've done excellent work, and it is an emotional experience to view the images. It is sad to see such a beautiful building in this condition.

Having said that, I would love to have the opportunity to spend time with my camera there. I believe viewing photos like this is an invitation to most photographers.

Thanks again.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

From July's trip to City Methodist, shot on a Modified Anniversary Speed Graphic, 90mm Angulon lens. B&W on Ilford Delta 100 (Developed in Rodinal 1+25) and colour is Fuji Provia 100F.

Thread Information