ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Devestation at the worst time: A Photo Essay

Fire and property damage is always tough; unfortunately, when such a tragedy hits during the holiday season, the injury is added with insult.

In St. Albert, Alberta, an apartment building went up in flames and burnt for hours albeit it was a frost -22 degrees celcisus. Though no lives were loss, many families and people, lost beloved pets, their articles, and their Christmas.

In this photo essay I hope to portray in a photojournalist way the damage and chaos caused by this fire.

Comments and critiques are welcome, as long as what you find as your favourite picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Devestation at the worst time: A Photo Essay

Jared-
    As someone whom has seen a lot of the hardship that comes from fire, explosions and other disasters; I really like this idea. I also like the shots you got. Hope to see more.

EBAR

Nice series of photos, Jared. There's sort of a twisted irony in the picture with the 'new price' sign. Very sobering. Well done.

Ebar, what have you done that gives you experience in the fire/emergency field? My father has been a firefighter for close to 30 years back home and his influence had a large inspirtaiton behind the photos (all his stories, etc.) Thanks for the comments.

Swmdrayfan, Thanks for the comments. The irony is just so strong in that picture, I just wish the fence wasn't there! Thanks again,

Jared

Jared-
    I'm a cop in Minnesota, so I've seen a lot of that stuff. The only problem is that I don't really have time to take a bunch of shots while I'm working.

I do have a lot of photos of many of the incidents but I'm unable to post most of them. A lot of them were taken by other people as well so I wouldn't feel comfortable posting them.

Then there's also the shots that aren't really the type that people want to see.....

EBAR

Honestly the first image does nothing for me, but the other 3, whoa. Very nice job. It would seem that you took the time to explore different angles and find the ones that did the best to tell a visual story about what happened there.

For me it's number 3 that has the biggest impact on how I feel about what I am seeing, but number 2 has a sort of morbid comedic aspect to it. I guess it's a toss up for me.

Nice shooting my friend.

And it's good to see you back on with us dood!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ebar, Definately can understand some of the tragedies you must have seen. Must be tough, and I respect you not wanting to post anything...I can only imagine some of the stuff that must be photographed.

Almo, Glad to know you like them. It's a tossup between number two and number three also for me...they both are one of my favourite "photojournalist" type shots.

Thanks for the comments,

Jared

Very interesting series, jared. Nice shots that depict the tragedies of fire. I have to agree with 2 and 3 as my favorites, also. The notice on the pole for the missing cat with the burned out building in the background speaks volumes. Hope to see more of your work on this. From what I have seen, you have very good talent for one so young.

Srobb,

Thanks for the comments. It's tough shooting a place like that but this was definately one of my favourite "series."

Thanks,

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Srobb,

Thanks for the comments. It's tough shooting a place like that but this was definately one of my favourite "series."

Thanks,

Jared

You are welcome, jared. Are you going to school for photojournalism? Can't remember if that is what you were studying, or not. You definitely have a good eye for that with what I have seen of some of your work.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Great job, Jar_e. This is some great work.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Srobb, Unfortunately, I'm not going to school for photojournalism. I do alot of that type of work with our school newspaper, though it's volunteer. I wish I could, though getting a job and keeping it stable seems awfully tough. I'm in school for Emergency Communications and Response, a 9-1-1 type job. Thanks fo the comments.

Masdog, Thanks for the comments.

Thread Information