ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The Latest Batch

Dear All,

I dropped by the camera shop today, and my latest roll has come back. It really is quite exciting to go the camera shop, find out your roll has made it back safely, and browse through the pictures all the way home. By the way, I used my parent's old Canon LtB . It's a dinosaur, but it has a 50mm f 1.8 lens on it. Fantastic !! I love it. I used Ilford FP4 Plus. I noticed that there is a marked difference between FP4 Plus and Tri-X. FP4 is very saturated and contrasty, quite nice. The blacks are really black, and the whites are brilliant. Tri-X is more a mellow gray throughout. Both very good, but different.

Enough rambling, on to the pictures. Two of the pictures are from my sister's concert of a few weeks past ( Wtih Baited Breath and The Aftermath ). Being indoors and night, I had a heck of a time with ISO 125 film. I particularly like The Aftermath , the motion appeals to me. Old Work Truck and The Misty Mountains were taken out at the community college were I am currently going. I like The Misty Mountains , because it really reminds me of Tolkein, wizards, and trolls. A Hospital Dusk represents my second attempt at photographing a set of windows on the western side of Penrose Hospital. I think I did better this time. Corridors in the Library is perhaps my favorite out of all this set. I had fun taking it. I had no tripod, so I set the camera on a shelf, set the shutter and aperture, pressed the shutter, and hoped all would be well. All without a light meter ! So there!

Go to my gallery:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=238866

and have at it.Please, all comments and questions are welcome and appreciated.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: The Latest Batch

Hey Dz

Looks like you're having alot of fun experimenting with new film!

I just wanted to drop in to say that while I definitely respect your experiences with these films, I have the opposite experience of Tri-X and FP4+. I agree they are both amazing films and I love both of them in their own right. But my experience of the FP4 has been that it is a mellow, grey film while the Tri-X seems to blast the blacks and whites into the stratosphere. Of the black and white films I have tried, these two almost sit on opposite ends from one another with regards to contrast. They both are lovely films. The only film I have found that is more contrasty than Tri-X is Kodak Pan-X which is almost no grey, just BLACK or WHITE. I didn't love that one.

Again, looks like you're having fun shooting! I liked your misty mountain shot!

Hey, I Iived in Berkeley for a while. Even went to Vista Community and took some photography classes there. If you have the chance, take a photo class from Vista as long as Dana Davis is still teaching there. Awesome guy! He does field trips to his photography studio to show studio lighting techniques. I liked him a lot.

Cheers!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Talking Contrast

Dear Rick,

Thanks for the input. It's funny how you get individual variations on experience with film. It makes for an exciting time. I think it also contributes to the individual style of a photographer. Choice of film, choice of camera, sense of composition, etc, go into the making of a photographer. It is exciting to say the least.

Among the films I do not like, TMax ranks up there. I did not like the look at all . I probably could not tell you any specific reasons, but it is just a feeling. Again, the sensebility of the photographer rears its ugly head.

Your are right, of course, I am having a lot of fun exploring my capabilities. Film is merely the expression of my character. The photograph is the window to the photographer's soul. (What if your picture says "Kodak Max dependant"? ).Or something like that.

Thanks again for the input,

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Talking Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Dear All,

I just decided I wanted more comments so I am scooting this to the top of the forum for now. Sorry for the inconvenience.I added another interesting photo to my gallery.

Dzerzhinski
    Last edited by Dzerzhinski46; 12-06-2004 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added photos

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Contrast

"Among the films I do not like, TMax ranks up there."

Now that's funny. I could shoot Tmax exclusivle for the rest of my life and be happy

You are correct: it takes all kinds of people and the diversity of this world even within the realm of photography is what keeps it all interesting!

Hope you get your desired feedback!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Another from my vault

Dear All,

Hope you enjoy my latest picutre. Some experimentation with light trails on Platte Ave. Have fun.

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Latest Batch-platte-ave-night.jpg  
    Last edited by Dzerzhinski46; 12-07-2004 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Arrogance

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information