ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Nostalgic/Route 66 info request

I guess lately I've been in a nostalgic mood and I'm having some trouble finding what I'm looking for. A year or so ago I saw some pictures that really gave me a nostalgic feeling. My favorite picture was taken in the 60's/70's and I believe was from Route 66, although I'm not 100% sure. The photo was taken looking down a long commercial street that was busy and had numerous old 60's gas guzzler cars pulling onto and off the main street. There were lots of restaurants and businesses some of which were the old Arby's signs, McDonalds, etc.

The cars were the typical ugly brown monster sized gas guzzlers of the 60's/70's but the photo had a very powerful effect on me. I'm not looking for that specific photo but of photos from the era that may bring back the same nostalgic feelings. I couldn't afford the print at the time but would like to maybe get something like that now.

I've googled and googled to try to find some type of pic but am not having any luck. There are 100's of Route 66 sites out there but none that has that the right kinds of pics.

Anyone have any links?

Re: Nostalgic/Route 66 info request

I feel like I've seen a shot like you describe at one of those picture/frame shops at the mall. Some of the shops have pictures with little lights inserted into the picture as if they're headlights, streetlights, etc. Do you know of a store like that near you?

Anything here? http://www.allposters.com/gallery.as...5EEA041895CECE
    Or here? http://www.legendsofamerica.com/post...Postcards.html
    Last edited by opus; 11-25-2006 at 08:01 PM.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate your response. I think I know what you are referring to at the mall but thats not where I saw the picture.

I guess the closest thing I can find right now would be the picture below. Although this really isn't want I'm looking for. And it's also the wrong era.

drg

I live on '66 (O.K. about 50 feet off of it, I'd get run over otherwise ) and the suggestion for mall type stores is not bad but all so check postcards. I'll dig around and see what turns up.

Much of this material is held by specialty stock houses or is really public domain or some is even from news archives. It seemingly comes and goes in cycles as to what is available. The recent celebrations have been about locations on 66 from restaurant to stores to dance halls to motels and more of the type of place.

I shot Model A's on 66 recently so that won't work. Is there a particular gas guzzler you are seeking? Are you wanting sepia toned or just a faded (real or actual)?

Here is an interesting link -

Hall of Fame Museum Route 66 Association of Illinois

You might Google the name of various places along Rt 66 in connection with the route and see what (and there are bunches) pops up specifically.

EX: City State Rt 66 [as search parameters]

I'll check my sources and see what might be available online. I know a place or two but they don't have any web presence that I'm aware of at this time.

Let me know, pm if you would like, what you find or if any thing here helps at all. I'll either post or pm/email you if I find a good specific source. My photos are all much more recent and I have cars of that era (see gallery) but off hand not those on 66 in front of stores.

Best wishes and Happy motoring!:thumbsup:
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information