ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Steve "Flair" Jones

Check out my revolutionary new art

Hey, i want to invite you all to experience my new art form. Its called "Gasoline Art" (though i am working on a new name) and you can view it at newworldarts.bravehost.com.
    I wasn't sure whether i should post it in the nature photography forum or here, so i decided to post it here.

make sure to post you christianly critizism, and suggestions!

-Steve "Flair" Jones

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Check out my revolutionary new art

Welcome Steve,

Well, personally, I can't quite bring myself to view this as anything revolutionary (remember noticing this effect many many years ago as a kid), and to be honest, I doubt many in the Nature Forum would look kindly on your technique of pouring gasoline in natural water sources like brooks and streams, but it IS visually interesting. I'll give you that...

Perhaps you should consider posting in the Photography as Art Forum, and instead of instructing people to instigate this effect, simply encourage them to take advantage of all the runoff from cars that already exists...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ok, are you serious? You suggest experimenting near storm drains, and pouring gasoline into streams. Do you know where water from storm drains go? It goes to a retention pond and back to the water table. Can you say pollution?? Have you ever tried drinking any of this "art" you make? As for your comments on the majesty of nature and "god", wouldn't this be blasphemous?

I got an idea for your next work of "art", pour a barrel of oil in a stream, and then maybe try some radioactive waste...

Wow. here's a thread from his own forum

http://pub1.bravenet.com/forum/83171656/show/516478

wild.

I'd NEVER spill gasoline in a stream on purpose... and if I did on accident I'd feel mighty guilty.

Unreal.

Steve "Flair" Jones

To payn817;
    I take great offence at being called a blasphemor. I am man who lives soley by the word of God and would do nothing to our Lord. If you had taken the time to look at the website you would see that I DO NOT advocate the use of toxic crude oil, and only use clean buring Texaco regular Gasoline in my art. Due to your objections i can only assume that you are a phillistine who can not appreciate art, or are a communist or anabaptist.

Furthermore as to your other suggestion of using radioactive waste in my art i can only assume that you are being sarcastic. Aside from the fact that radiocative waste is green and slufge-like, and therefore not mysterious in any given way, it is also very difficult to obtain.

-Steve "Flair" Jones

Steve "Flair" Jones

To: Asylum Steve,
    Thank you for your positive comments. I too noticed the mysterious effect that gasoline mixing with water has a long time ago due to a gas leak in my 1983 Coupe DeVille. I must admit that this is where i got my initial inspiration.

I didn't realize there was a photography as art forum or else i would have posted there initially, thank you for mentioning it. I think that i will hold off posting there for a while as i do not wish to be see as a spammer (those people get on my nerves).

-Steve "Flair" Jones

LOL

Do you work for Texaco? You make it a point that you use their product. A communist? No. An anabaptist? Not likely. Not able to appreciate art? That is a matter of opinion. You use the same response to everyone who opposes your work and thoughts.

Since you make it a point that the fuel burns clean, I assume after you get finished shooting, you burn the fuel. If so, what about the byproduct?

Hmmm... I seem to have gotten your attention with the waste, didn't mean to give you ideas. Wait, you tried already, that's why you know it is hard to obtain. This is a very silly discussion, and I will step out of this thread now, as it is making me sick.

Mr. Jones-

I gather that you are from Ohio. If that is the case I'd like to bring this particular law to your attention.

§ 743.25. Jurisdiction of municipal corporations to prevent water pollution.

No person shall pollute a running stream, the water of which is used for domestic purposes by a municipal corporation, by putting therein a putrid or offensive substance, injurious to health. The director of public service of a city or board of trustees of public affairs of a village shall enforce this section. The jurisdiction of a municipal corporation to prevent the pollution of its water supply and to provide a penalty therefor shall extend twenty miles beyond the municipal corporation limits.

HISTORY: RS § 2433; Bates § 1536-544; 66 v 209, § 360; 97 v 135; GC § 12784; Bureau of Code Revision. Eff 10-1-53.

I read this from your site:
    No one knows exactly how mixing two clear liquids can create a rainbow of lovely hues, but it is clear that gasoline and water have a natural, artistic affinity for one another. Experiments with other liquids such as orange juice, Ronsonol, antifreeze, motor oil, WD-40, transmission fluid, clarified butter, Zima, battery acid, and Windex have not reproduced the perfect harmony of simple gasoline and water. (Some of these liquids so have produced third degree burns though, so please conduct all experiments near a storm drain, and keep children and pets away!)

I feel confident in saying that you are violating state law by pouring some of these things into the water.

For further research you can take a look at the Ohio State Legislature Home Page at: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/

They have a searchable database containing all of their laws.

Okay dude, why are you doing this? I have to assume that you are not as ignorant as you pretend to be. In which case, you are doing this for shock affect. Regardless, it's irresponsible to suggest that people should do this type of thing, because someone might actually be dumb enough to try it.

"No one knows exactly how mixing two clear liquids can create a rainbow of lovely hues... " Really? This has been known for longer than we've been using petroleum. It's called a prism.

"...natural..." Really? Refined petroleum contains synthetic chemicals that do not biodegrade.

"..radiocative waste is green and slufge-like..." Really? Did you learn that from watching Scooby Doo?

Perhaps you should think about trying another form of expression that does not involve the use of firearms, volatile substances, or endanger the environment. Whatever happened to just shooting landscapes? People like that a heckuva lot better than pools of gasoline. That said, you are living in America, and have freedom of expression. I just don't believe you're making the right choice.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Oh my

Sir if I could report you to the EPA and have you shut down I would. Your art is harming your environment, your neighbors, and yourself as well.

Surely your God does not condone you polluting His creation or sickening His children.

Please reconsider your art or try doing it in large containers that are later disposed of properly.

Regards,
    Walter R. Long
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

As Mr. Moderator I'll keep my views out of this thread and will keep a close eye on it. This will probably be the first thread here that I'll have to delete. Congradulations on being the one to ruin a good thing.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Well, I tried to look at your site, but there were no photos there, only little red X's. Judging by the response on this site, and the response in the forum on your site, I can imagine what your photos look like.

EDIT: I was able to go back and veiw the photos. If this is the kind of art you feel you need to create, I would find a safer, environmentally friendly way to duplicate this effect without damaging our environment. I'm sure you could duplicate this look digitally with Photoshop.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 01-05-2006 at 07:14 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

MJS - I wonder if vegetable oil would have the same effect. Its an oil and it is biodegradable.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Frankly, I think this idea is screwed up. There is already enough gasoline runoff from modern transportation, we don't need people dumping it into sources of water as an art project. That's not only destructive to the environment, but it is the furthest thing from art in my mind.

Art isn't supposed to be destructive.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    MJS - I wonder if vegetable oil would have the same effect. Its an oil and it is biodegradable.
    Interesting idea, but I was thinking along the lines of digital manipulation.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

learning member

My friend and I did did something along these lines back in '68. We filled his little red wagon halfway with water, took it in the garage and poured or sprayed every chemical in the cabinet into it. It was the coolest thing we ever saw. It was so cool we showed his Mom. She beat us both, and when my Dad got home from work I got another beating!

I remember that because the beatings were severe. And the beatings were severe because what we did was dangerous and our folks were worried we might do something like that again.

I never did it again!

It might be Art but it's not revolutionary or new. And it's not very smart.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Well, I tried to look at your site, but there were no photos there, only little red X's. Judging by the response on this site, and the response in the forum on your site, I can imagine what your photos look like.

EDIT: I was able to go back and veiw the photos. If this is the kind of art you feel you need to create, I would find a safer, environmentally friendly way to duplicate this effect without damaging our environment. I'm sure you could duplicate this look digitally with Photoshop.
    Michael, I don't think this moron knows how. I just hope his parents told him never to play with matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Newworldartist
    Hey, i want to invite you all to experience my new art form. Its called "Gasoline Art" (though i am working on a new name) and you can view it at newworldarts.bravehost.com.
    I wasn't sure whether i should post it in the nature photography forum or here, so i decided to post it here.

make sure to post you christianly critizism, and suggestions!

-Steve "Flair" Jones
    I reported your website and actions to your web hosting provider. I would report you to your local athorities but I don't kow who they are or how to get in touch with them. I hope someone does though. You at the very least need a HUGE fine and I'd be pleased if you spent some time in jail. Your actions are absolutely irresponsible.

I am a Christian. I firmly beleive as Christians we are to be the stewards of God's creation. God charged Adam with the duty of tending to the garden:

Gen 2:15 - And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and keep it. (KJV)

We are to follow the same example. Not pollute the hell out of it. And if Texaco regular
    burns so damn clean, why is air pollution such a problem? And pretend for a moment that it does burn clean, in it's liquid pre burned state it is a huge pollutant. Have you read the cancer warning posted all over every gas pump in America? Isn't God's nature beautiful enough without you pouring man made toxic pollutants in it?

What kind of representatvie of Christ are you being to those who don't believe? How are your actions doing the work of God in bring more people to his slavation? Either you are just absolutely ignorant and idiotic, or you are doing this on purpose for the shock value. Either way you are commiting vile acts and should be punished.

BM

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I reported your website and actions to your web hosting provider. I would report you to your local athorities but I don't kow who they are or how to get in touch with them. I hope someone does though. You at the very least need a HUGE fine and I'd be pleased if you spent some time in jail. Your actions are absolutely irresponsible.

I am a Christian. I firmly beleive as Christians we are to be the stewards of God's creation. God charged Adam with the duty of tending to the garden:

Gen 2:15 - And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and keep it. (KJV)

We are to follow the same example. Not pollute the hell out of it. And if Texaco regular
    burns so damn clean, why is air pollution such a problem? And pretend for a moment that it does burn clean, in it's liquid pre burned state it is a huge pollutant. Have you read the cancer warning posted all over every gas pump in America? Isn't God's nature beautiful enough without you pouring man made toxic pollutants in it?

What kind of representatvie of Christ are you being to those who don't believe? How are your actions doing the work of God in bring more people to his slavation? Either you are just absolutely ignorant and idiotic, or you are doing this on purpose for the shock value. Either way you are commiting vile acts and should be punished.

BM
    BM, I doubt very seriously if Christianity has anything to do with it. Common sense and respect for the world around you does, though. It's plain to see this goofball has neither.
    John

Steve "Flair" Jones

I fear that you phillistines just arn't listening to me, I do not use crude oil. to use crude oil in this art would be immoral and unchristianly.

Some of you have threatened to write letters to my 'provider', but i must tell you that my only 'provider' is the lord Jesus Christ, and i fear that he will not be receptive to protests from anabaptists and communists.

by the way, several people have suggested that i drink from the streams where i perfrom my art. This is just as ludicrous as asking Picaso to eat his canvas. Furthermore i wouldn't drink this water because these streams are polluted, i mean i have actually seen deen urinating near the water.

P.S. Picaso was a hack.

-Steve "Flair" Jones

And I fear you're a troll. You must be a hungry one if you put up such a controversial topic and then accuse everyone who is outraged by it of being a communist or anabaptist. I doubt "Steve Jones" is even your real name.

Could one of the moderators please help put this troll back under his bridge by locking the thread??
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I also wanted to add one more thought to this very unusual topic. Have you considered the animals and wildlife that drink from those streams? While urine is not toxic, humans find it to be a "pollutant" animals do not seem to take much notice, HOWEVER, when you put a toxic substance into an animals drinking water, that animal has a GREAT chance of suffering a horrible death. Have you ever read what gasoline in an animals system can do to them? It is disgusting. You pronounce your Christianity repeatedly, we will see what your god thinks of you harming his innocent creatures when your time comes.
    I am not a Christian, not really anything actually, but I love the world I live in, and I love the animals that are in it. I tend to like them more then people. What you are doing is murder. Last time I checked, god wasn't okay with that.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello Steve, I just took a look at your "art" and wish to add my opinions on your attempt. First of all, let me say, I am "non-religious" and therefore do not recognize any religious aspects in art or anything else. I am not an atheist or an agnostic, because these both, in their arguments, recognize religion, but don't believe in it. That said, I am a good person!!!
    My thoughts on your art. I like the effect that you have gotten, BUT like the others, I don't like the way you got the effect. There is a more environmentally friendly way of getting this effect without pouring harmful fluids into our watershed. Might I recommend that you can pour some water and gas in a large flat container, shoot many different backgrounds, go to a lake and shoot the trees as you've done, then, go to PS and merge the various photos into fantastic works of art. Then when you are finished with the water/gas mixture, you can take it to a local recycling center and have it properly disposed of. As a service station attendant and mechanic for most of my life, I have seen this effect so many times, it's ridiculous. I ask that you not do this again to the environment, but figure more beneficial ways to achieve your goal. There are always alternatives, and you appear to have a very artistic eye, and I will not try to dissuade you from doing your photography.
    Much art in the past has shocked people...and in my short time in this thread, I've learned that these people are very accepting people and to have shocked them this extremely should throw up some red flags for you.
    Thank you for your posts and one last request, any arguments on "religion" should be in the "Off Topic" forum unless it is directly related to the photographs.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Cool Re: Check out my revolutionary new art

I agree with the thought that he is a troll. I've done some searching with google and located a couple different forums where he signed up the past few days. He posted the exact same thing in those forums as he did here.

I agree, I think we should lock the thread and not give him a pulpit.

EBAR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information