ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Need Editing Help

I'm trying to put together a group of B&W photos to show at the gallery at The New York Institute of Technology fine arts department where I graduated in 1971. They are pretty critical of what they show and the gallery director is a PITA who didn't return my emails. I sent a few jpegs to the fine arts director and he liked a few and wants to meet me in mid-April to show about 15 mounted and matted prints. Anyway I find it difficult to edit my own work and would appreciate opinions of the forum members here of what they like. I have provided a link to a
    B&W portfolio folder
    . I don't want to clog up the forum here and if a few people could email me what they like or even dislike I would appreciate it. Thanks

Gerry...I'll take a look tomorrow and email you. :-)

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I took a look...

Since the majority of the work is street photogrpahy, to keep the bunch cohesive, I would stick with that. I would edit out: the very last shot [abstract], the snowy bugs [I think the plain bugs is a stronger shot], the last bench photo [too repetitive after the stronger 2 bench shots], and the truck grill and the boat [nice shots, but dosn't fit in with the series]. That narrows it down to about 23 or so - so I guess from there I would see which shots might be too similar [hard to do!]; for example: 2 shots where the benches figure prominently still remain. Which one do you feel is stronger - the curved back-to-back benches, or the perspective with the person all the way at the other end?

That is, at least, my thought process when editing my work down. I hope it helped a little bit.

GREAT body of work, Gerry. Please let me know when the show is up, I'm down for some wine and cheese!

Megan

you are good!

Gerry, my compliments. You are really good.
    As for editing, I would probably get rid of a kitchen shot, which is considerably less interesting that the rest of your candids, the last abstract because it sort of jumps out of the theme, and benches. Well, maybe I would keep the first bench shot, but the other two definitely do not belong. Bugs are great. I would keep them even though they are not from the same sandbox.

Megan, thanks for taking a look and the comments. It is very helpful. I find it difficult evaluating my work. Sometimes I think it is real good and other times think it is boring and s**ks. I find it interesting how after a famous artist/musician dies sometimes the work they thought wasn't good becomes popular. Ravel didn't like Bolero. He thought it was trivial and simple and now it is his signature work.

Not sure what their plans are for me (if any) at the fine art department. I don't think they have formal shows just areas where they display students work. So wine and cheese might not go. I was a little persistent so they might just be humoring me or maybe just planning on showing one or two photos as part of a group. Again thanks for looking.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Wine & cheese or no, I'll come!

[QUOTE=Gerry Widen]Megan, thanks for taking a look and the comments. It is very helpful. I find it difficult evaluating my work. Sometimes I think it is real good and other times think it is boring and s**ks.QUOTE]

I know the feeling. But it's really amazing - when you finally get it edited down and a solid body of work up on the wall, you'll have to pinch yourself. You'll step back and see it all together and realize that it's a pretty stunning body of work.

Megan

Decisions, decisions - hard to choose! I've looked at your portfolio a couple of times and will send you an email.

Two Bodies...

...of work it seems. The people shots and the more abstract graphics shots with some overlap. I think they would be stronger if grouped rather than having the abstracts interspersed with the street shots. Use some of the combined shots like 'Plenty of Time' and 'Long bench' as transition pieces between the two groups.

I think the street shots that have your obvious sense of humor/irony showing are the strongest (like Nosey and the die young shot). I don't think the half self portrait holds up with the rest.

Don't take my comments too strongly as I have no experience with exhibits and such. I think you may be your own harshest critic as your work is all very strong. I think 'Nosey' would stand up well alongside all those classic photos that appeared on Life Magazines back page. ( if any of you young pups reading this don't understand this reference, you owe it to yourselves to get ahold of one of the books compiling these photos and take a look)

Have fun with the exhibit, Gerry, it's well deserved.

Irakly, Steve (anotherview) and Chunk thanks for your selections. It is interesting everyone likes a common group of photos and then the opinions on the rest are very different. BTW Chunk I always looked forward to the last page in Life magazine. I think it was called "miscellaneous"and usually had amusing photos. First page I would turn to.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

What Megan said...

I am with Megan's suggestions, for basically the same reasons.
    I wished I could see your images in person!
    Good luck with the exhibit!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I just bought these two books that I found in a google search that I did while writing the earlier response.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...77616?v=glance
    Can't wait for them to arrive.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to look at my photos and make comments and those who sent me emails.

Thread Information