• 03-26-2004, 05:47 PM
    another view
    Case or no case - c/f cards?
    I carry my compact flash cards in a wallet, and I've been leaving them in the plastic cases as well. Is that overkill? I've seen wallets in catalogs where the picture of the wallet shows the cards without the cases. Of course the wallet fits in a pocket a lot easier without the cases because it's thinner. But all of those little holes would probably pick up something eventually, right? Or wrong?

BTW, if you're looking for more compact flash cards, Lexar has a rebate running thru the end of this month on the 40x cards.
  • 03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
    paulnj
    Is an airbag overkill if you wear a seat belt?

case w/ wallet!
  • 03-26-2004, 06:41 PM
    Sebastian
    As long as you keep the holes clean there is no worry. Those things are tough. Hell, I put one of my memory stick through a washer and dryer, and those things aren't built half as tough as CF cards.

I use a wallet without plastic cases, that is when the cards aren't in my pocket, or soemwhere in my bag, or bouncing around my room...
  • 03-26-2004, 10:07 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Oh yes...CASES!
    Anything that is absolutely essential to my photography, is roughly the size of a quarter, is made of plastic, and costs $150 a pop is going to be stored in a PLASTIC CASE, in its WALLET, and safe in my CAMERA BAG... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I carry my compact flash cards in a wallet, and I've been leaving them in the plastic cases as well. Is that overkill? I've seen wallets in catalogs where the picture of the wallet shows the cards without the cases. Of course the wallet fits in a pocket a lot easier without the cases because it's thinner. But all of those little holes would probably pick up something eventually, right? Or wrong?

BTW, if you're looking for more compact flash cards, Lexar has a rebate running thru the end of this month on the 40x cards.

• 03-27-2004, 12:04 AM
    Peter_AUS
    I agree, these things cost too much for me to take a chance, although I don't have a wallet, thought about it, I keep mine in the little plastic cases and in the camera bag, unless the card is in the cameras. I think protection is most important and although Seb has had good experiences, I still wouldn't take the chance.
  • 03-27-2004, 08:21 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

I carry my compact flash cards in a wallet, and I've been leaving them in the plastic cases as well. Is that overkill?
    I carry mine in the original plastic cases they come in. I have also forgotten them and had them washed and dried. I had a camera with a CF card fall into a muddy river several times, the CF card was fine. On another site, someone claimed that his dog ate one and, when it reappeared, it still worked (a little salt might be required for this one).

CF cards are very tough. Don't worry too much about them.