ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car Parts - Add yours Phase II

I started Mod I of this post in the wrong place after enjoying Punkjunkey's Old Car & Fuzzy Dice thread on the Critique forum.
    PJ noted that this forum would be more appropriate for this type of post and of course he is right. Thanks to those that responded to the first post - I hope you'll add a response here.
    Feel free to add your own shots of car parts.
    This shot was taken with Tri-X some years. Feel free to critique if you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-car2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I started Mod I of this post in the wrong place after enjoying Punkjunkey's Old Car & Fuzzy Dice thread on the Critique forum.
    PJ noted that this forum would be more appropriate for this type of post and of course he is right. Thanks to those that responded to the first post - I hope you'll add a response here.
    Ok Chunk, I'll post mine again here, since you asked so nicely. It was getting to be interesting in photo critique. good thread.
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Now that thou have mended thine evil ways and posted in the RIGHTEOUS forum, I shall grant you the following:

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Now that thou have mended thine evil ways and posted in the RIGHTEOUS forum, I shall grant you the following:
    Seb, what kind of car is that?

mjm
    that guy.

Lightbulb

My 1963 Chevy II that I had to sell when I bought my house last year This is the Holley 650 Double Pumper carb that I was running for a while.

Sebs photo looks like a new mini to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Seb, what kind of car is that?
    It's a Mini .
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

It's a Mini .
    omg I thought so! It's my favorite car in the world. I'll never forget the first time I saw one. It was love at first sight. Now, you see a lot of them on the road, but my preference is for the original black. Damn, they're cute!
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Ok Chunk, I'll post mine again here, since you asked so nicely. It was getting to be interesting in photo critique. good thread.
    Kit
    Thanks Kit. It looks just as good over here. I really like the lusious colors in the hood.

hehehehe...boy I was worried, too.
    This shot is a good not quite mirror image of mine with the axis of symetry passing through time, color, and space. Nice shapes and forms.
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    My 1963 Chevy II that I had to sell when I bought my house last year This is the Holley 650 Double Pumper carb that I was running for a while.

Sebs photo looks like a new mini to me.
    Sorry you had to sell the Chevy II. Nice shot of some interesting parts - carbs are the very heart of a car. Thanks.

PS - What the heck is that bolt with the spring and nylock nut? I mean what's it's function on the carb?
    Last edited by Chunk; 09-21-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Here's a woody from Cocoa Beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-cocoa_beach.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Here's a woody from Cocoa Beach.
    I like the art deco/ bauhaus (what's the right term?) feeling of this shot. Seems like a '30s poster sorta. Thanks again.

Chunk..

You could try merging yours and Sebs shot, might be interesting. You both got an almost exact angle. Great minds must think alike.
    Kit

A couple of front close ups. Both with Leica M2 Canon 35/2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-oldchevy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    A couple of front close ups. Both with Leica M2 Canon 35/2
    A lot of character in those shots. That old Vdub has a bad case of cataracts.
    Thanks Gerry.

Chunk, thanks for the look. I think the idea of posting a photo and creating a theme for anyone who wants to join in with a relevant photo is a great idea. This is done on some other sites and gives "lurkers" an easy opportunity to make their first post without really having to say anything.

I had a "slightly" eccentric relative who made a car called the Muntz Jet between 1950-54. There was a 50th reunion in 2000 so I had to go see them - 14 were there which is probably more than have ever been in one place for a long time. Out of about 400 (nobody really knows for sure) built, only a few survive. The first shot (hopefully my photography has improved in the last four years) shows two cars that I think were built the same year, but the back ends are different. Hand built, use whatever parts were available - they don't build them like they used to ! Second shot (sorry, not car "parts") is of a car owned by a nice guy from Indiana who gave me a ride when I told him my last name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-muntz.jpg   Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-muntz2.jpg  

Forgot about these two, I was actually looking for another shot. These two are part of a collection at a hotel in Florida. Gotta love those big ol' American tail fins! OK, I'm done now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-tailfin.jpg   Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-chrome.jpg  

Abandon

I like this thread. Thank you for starting it. I have too many to choose from, but I found this old truck on a vacation in the Redwoods, Northern Calif. I liked the cobwebs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-car-parts-1.jpg   Car Parts - Add yours Phase II-car-parts-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    Chunk, thanks for the look. I think the idea of posting a photo and creating a theme for anyone who wants to join in with a relevant photo is a great idea. This is done on some other sites and gives "lurkers" an easy opportunity to make their first post without really having to say anything.
    I agree it's a great idea but it's not mine. Someone started doing that a month or two ago. I'm not sure who to credit but I know a good idea when I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Forgot about these two, I was actually looking for another shot. These two are part of a collection at a hotel in Florida. Gotta love those big ol' American tail fins! OK, I'm done now...
    Great work - all 4 shots. I had never heard of the Muntz Jet before. Where were they made?
    I really like the last shot with the relected grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot
    I like this thread. Thank you for starting it. I have too many to choose from, but I found this old truck on a vacation in the Redwoods, Northern Calif. I liked the cobwebs.
    Well thank you for joining in. The cobwebs do add some to the shot. Do you suppose that is an early turn signal system in the first shot?

Great work - all 4 shots. I had never heard of the Muntz Jet before. Where were they made?
    I really like the last shot with the relected grill.
    Thanks! The Muntz Jet was made for the first year or two in Evanston IL and the last couple of years near Palm Springs CA. After that he got into TV's - he was known as "Mad Man Muntz". The reflected grill isn't the same car - looking at it now maybe it would benefit from cropping it a little around the edges.

Both of the last two are on Provia 100F (I think...). These are quick scans but I like the kind of "off" color on the tail fin. Reminds me of Kodachrome a little, fits the age of the car.

Yes it is...

An old turn signal. I thought it was kind of unique. I was told you operated it with a rope.

misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot
    Where in the Redweeds? I live there, and I'd love to see that ol' truck.
    This pic is from my neck of the woods, so to speak, and it was posted in the other car parts thread as well. I kind of like how you can't really tell what's going on- a jumble of metal. The car has been sitting there for years, by the looks of it. I think some local boys probably got sick of it rotting in someone's yard and dragged it out in the woods to give it a proper redneck burial: beer, guns, and gasoline.
    I absolutely love the Caddy fins. Is that a '59? I'm a sucker for big fins, but the way into my car heart (no pun intended) is through a convertible top. I'm a ragtop man, you might say. We've got the annual car show happening in a few weeks, I'll be sure to post any good ones I get. I hope the Ford Fairlaine Skyliner shows up again- what an awesome car!
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information