ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Well crap.

Well crap.

So I haven't done a whole lot of shooting with the 20d yet. And when I had, it was without my glasses. So I really just noticed this was a problem.

When I focus, everything looks blurry thru the viewfinder. When the image shows up on the lcd and then on the computer, it's sharp (well okay, not always, but when it's not, it's my fault). I haven't changed anything that might affect that at all. I thought maybe the dioptic thingy got moved, but I don't think that's it.

Any ideas before I take it in?

Not only that, but I had to waste #500 on this stupid question....(insert mad smiley face here, I don't know how to do that one)

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Check your focusing points are correct. Reset the cameras to defaults again and see if that helps.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Need more info...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    When I focus, everything looks blurry thru the viewfinder.
    Adina,

What do you mean when you say "blurry"? Do you mean, just a tad off of sharp focus? Or completely blurry as in, well...completely blurry?

You shouldn't need to have the viewfinder in perfect focus to know when your shot is in focus. Besides the audio signal you get when your focus point is reached, you should also be able to tell the point of best focus without actually seeing it clearly simply by the changes of parts of the frame going in and out of focus.

I don't know if this makes sense. I'm nearsighted, and if I'm not wearing my contacts, what I see through the viewfinder is a bit out of focus. But I still can tell when the foucs is at its "best", IOW when my subject is in focus...

BTW, have you tried adjusting the dioptric eyepiece? What makes you think that's not it.

BTW2, do you have an astigmatism? That may explain your trouble focusing closeup...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I don't know that camera, but it sounds to me like the diopter might have been bumped. I've done it before and not sure how I did it, but you see it right away! I'm near sighted and wear contacts. Without them I could probably focus a little, but I'd be using f11 and f16 a whole lot more...

The smiley face thing - try this: Go to My Account > Edit Options, then at the bottom change to one of the other options to get more of this stuff...

Well I'm a big dork

So it was the dioptic thingy. Originally, when I tried to adjust it, to see if it was the problem, it seemed very hard to move. Apparently that's because it was all the way to one end. So now it is back to normal, and my camera works fine. But I assumed because it was so hard to move that it wasn't something that could just get bumped easily.

Next time I will do more investigating before I post, to avoid sounding like a dork

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Opinionated Newbie
    I. Love. Dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    I. Love. Dorks.

Dorks freakin' rule!

This coming from a major dork.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

happens to all of us...

It's OK... Once I shot a whole roll of film on a newly acquired Contax G1 rangefinder without taking a lens cap off Noticed only on the very last frame. I reused the film, but still remember those wonderfould would-be-pictures that never saw light of the day

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    So it was the dioptic thingy. Originally, when I tried to adjust it, to see if it was the problem, it seemed very hard to move. Apparently that's because it was all the way to one end. So now it is back to normal, and my camera works fine. But I assumed because it was so hard to move that it wasn't something that could just get bumped easily.

Next time I will do more investigating before I post, to avoid sounding like a dork

adina

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    I'm sorry, but I am the king of all dorks, all you other wannabe's get in line. Like I tell my students. It happens, welcome to the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Irakly Shanidze
    It's OK... Once I shot a whole roll of film on a newly acquired Contax G1 rangefinder without taking a lens cap off Noticed only on the very last frame. I reused the film, but still remember those wonderfould would-be-pictures that never saw light of the day
    I would think that happens quite offten with a rangefinders.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information