ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: The Captive

The Captive

The Kentucky Militia didn't fare so well at the Battle of Blue Licks in 1782. This reenactor didn't either yesterday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Captive-_630.jpg   The Captive-dsc_2857-2-640.jpg   The Captive-dsc_4463-2-640.jpg   The Captive-dsc_2842-2-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Re: The Captive

Great shots OT. Incredible. The make-up and costumes make for nice color shots! These would also fit well into the August Photo Project "Drama" and you did a great job as always. You do manage to find some great photo ops.

Thanks for sharing them. I enjoyed viewing them. I hope you're having a nice summer.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    The Kentucky Militia didn't fare so well at the Battle of Blue Licks in 1782. This reenactor didn't either yesterday afternoon.

Wow Larry, that first one is really disturbing and emotional. It's very thought provoking. What lens were you using?
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

The shots are definitely provacative.

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Wow Larry, that first one is really disturbing and emotional. It's very thought provoking. What lens were you using?
    Thanks Almo. I have been to a few of these reenactments, but these guys stayed in character and played their parts as well as any. I was using the D2H and the 80-200 at 200 with a 1.4 extender. I was back at the edge of the battlefield and this action took place well into the middle of were the battle was fought.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    The shots are definitely provacative.
    This was just one of many scenes that were being played out at the same time across the battlefield. Nothing was rehearsed but was improvised by the reenactors. They were trying to stay true to the historical facts of the battle and the way their characters would have acted at the time.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by genebowhay
    Very impressive work Larry. I'm a history buff and would love to see a re-enactment sometime. These are really well done and I thank you for sharing them.

Best Regards,
    Gene
    Thanks Gene. Nice to hear from you. Looks like you guys had a great time this weekend in LA.

I am a history buff of sorts too and enjoy this type thing. I thought this one was very well done. The hardest part about photographing it is to try and keep all the modern stuff out of the frame and crop around spectators. I had to do a little PS on some cars and buildings in the background but I was pleased with the end result. Thanks for commenting.

Nikon Samurai #13

wow, these guys take the re-enacting very serious. Looks like a movie scene. Great shots! Good thing they didn't capture you as well!
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Thread Information