ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Chronic Gadget Junkie SCOOTERINSLC's Avatar

Canyonlands N.P.

Hi all,
    We headed off to Moab last weekend and ended up spending the whole time in Canyonlands. I think it was the first time I've ever gone down and not spent at least one day at Arches. This first set is from Sat. where we were in the north section of the park, Island in the Sky. Kind of freaky, there were NO people there at all. Just us and the rangers. Enjoy.
    Scooter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canyonlands N.P.-post-1.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-2.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-3.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-4.jpg  

The Needles

This second set is from Sun. where we drove down to the Needles section. Again, nobody but us and one rabbit. Stacey and I both like this area better. We went on a fantastic hike that starts at the Elephant hill trailhead and goes waaay back into the needles. Very cool place. All shots with Maxxum 7D, Sigma 12-24, Min. 70-210. Enjoy.
    Scooter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canyonlands N.P.-post-1.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-3.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-4.jpg   Canyonlands N.P.-post-2.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: The Needles

Beautiful shots Scoot. I have never been to the Canyonlands, though I have been to Arches several times. As soon as our kitchen gets remodeled I plan to get out and do some more exploring in the southwest!

Thanks for sharing.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Super Nice!!!

Thanks for processing/posting those. That place is just magical.
    BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Re: Canyonlands N.P.

Your image sure make me want to get out that way. Very nice photographs. You sure will not find anything like this back east. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nice!

Moab is a ghost town this time of year, isn't it! The pictures are great. Love seeing snow on the La Salles. I think that it's almost a necessity for photos there. The snow balances and compliments the slickrock so well.

How cold was it?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Nice!

Hi John,
    The part I like the most is $55.00 a night at the Best Wstern Canyonlands for a king room! Moab Brewery was closed until the 16th for cleaning, but oh well. I don't dig crowds so I'll put up with it. Sat. was about 45 deg. and windy in the north section so it felt colder. Sunday down lower in the Needles, it was 50 and perfect for hiking. Still cool in the shady parts that only get sun a couple of hours a day. Awesome weekend though. Later,
    Scooter

Re: Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOTERINSLC
    The part I like the most is $55.00 a night at the Best Wstern Canyonlands for a king room!
    Is that the motel next to the creek? If so, I've stayed there off-season and I remember being psyched.

I was in Moab to ride, last November. It was in the mid 40s-50s in the day. We waited until afternoon to ride because it was too cold first thing in the morning. But the sun is nice - feels great. And I really love to see snow on the mountains. It's a perfect backdrop.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information