• 06-09-2004, 07:36 PM
    Janie
    Can't decide about this shot
    sometimes I like it, sometimes it bothers me...
    http://bizfx.com/photography/newimages/boats.jpg

I think I just realized what bothers me about it! The movie "The Fog" is the only horror flick that scared me! lol This has that eerieness about it.
  • 06-10-2004, 02:22 AM
    Charles Hess
    I like this...very true to life setting, fog being a common scene around water. I like that hint of color in the Amer. flag and how detail fades as you look further back in the frame. Good one.
  • 06-10-2004, 03:42 AM
    another view
    I think the fog makes it. Using a telephoto lens can make it look a little foggier than it actually is, and I like the way it gets thicker to the far end of the frame.
  • 06-10-2004, 08:36 AM
    Sebastian
    This shot has BOATloads of mood, and that might be why you're iffy on it. Sometimes you like the mood, sometimes you don't? I dunno...

I like the feeling, though I think something is missing. Wish I knew what though.
  • 06-10-2004, 09:12 AM
    Asylum Steve
    I understand...
    ...why you're torn over this shot. It's interesting, but could be much stronger.

Shots like this that have a strong overall fog effect (side to side, front ot back), especially when the subjects are all in the distance, have a tendency to simply look washed out, and I think that's true in this case.

Great fog shots usually have a foreground subject that is much clearer, sharper, and color saturated. This then really creates a nice tension between what's clear and what is "foggy". Think the Golden Gate bridge only partly encased in fog...

It's tough, because you can't control these things, unless of course, you have a mutha of a fog machine... :D
  • 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    something like below is what I might want to seee this be... not great but a quick example( upped saturation- maybe too much) as steve suggested ad a smidge of the contrast......more of gradiation in fog and focus would be nice...I like how misty and mysterious it feels...but more of a visual punch somewhere would be good... my 2 cents
  • 06-10-2004, 12:52 PM
    Speed
    I See What You Mean
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Janie
    sometimes I like it, sometimes it bothers me...

I think I just realized what bothers me about it! The movie "The Fog" is the only horror flick that scared me! lol This has that eerieness about it.

When I look at it, the first thing I notice is the boat cut off on the right. I think if the angle were different (or a wider angle lens had been used) you could have added that foreground element that the others have mentioned. Like the others, I love how the objects fad into the distance.