ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Canon 60D vs. 70D

Hi Guys,

I am brand new here. Just getting started into product photography (i have a friend who has a website and has asked me to shoot his products) and am looking at either the Canon 60D or 70D? I can get the 60D for about half the price of the 70D. I see the 70D has better video features but is there any real difference in image quality?

I have also read somewhere that these might be overkill for website requirements - I would however like something i can use to take photos when traveling.

Any suggestions - or should I even be considering a lower end DSLR (maybe the Canon T3 or T5)?

I have some past photography experience from school but Im not that knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance everyone!

- Mark

Re: Canon 60D vs. 70D

Welcome to PR, Mark!

I don't have firsthand experience with either camera you are considering, however I've heard from number of 60D users who've been very happy with that camera. There are a couple reviews posted on this site at Canon EOS 60D Reviews - PhotographyREVIEW.com

From a technical specifications viewpoint, the 70D would be considered the better camera, but realistically both are overkill if you were only going to do product shots for web posting. However you indicated that you'd also use the camera to document your travels, so that might make these more sensible. I am going to go out on a bit of limb here and suggest that if you never print your images larger than 8 X 10, you probably would not notice any difference between these two cameras. The 70D has a few more bells and whistles, should have nominally better high ISO noise suppression, and likely a more responsive AF. However I am not sure the differences are worth paying 2X the price.

From the reports I've heard on the 60D, I'd say to buy that camera, and invest the extra money in some good glass, like a nice 'L' series macro lens. (And yes, the T3 or T5 would perform your product work just fine, but might not be as functional as a general use travel camera.)
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Welcome aboard Mark, can't disagree with anything Ken said. Just like to suggest you think about the sigma 17-70 this will give you a versatile lens for closeups and a great walk around as well.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Thanks for the reply Ken! This is VERY good information!!! Very much appreciated! Sounds like the 60D is the best bet! I will proceed with ordering this today. Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge

I look forward to interacting with you and the rest of the members in the future!

-Mark

Thanks for the lens suggestion Pete! A versatile lens is just what i need! I think i will proceed with purchasing that lens in addition to the 60D body! Much appreciated!

-Mark

Whoa! Just checked that link you had shared Ken - 5 stars!!!! Incredible. Cant wait for the 60D to arrive!

Mark, the price for advise is that you need to post some pictures with your new 60D! Have fun with it, and I sincerely do hope you stick around, post some images, and learn with the rest of us here.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Yes, absolutely! hahahaha, id love to share and get some feedback. note, i am not very good but hope to learn! Thanks Ken!

Hi Mark,

I have the 60D myself and love it! It looks as though latest developments in the newer 70D are mainly focused on video. I would say save yourself the money and go with the 60D if video shooting is not a major requirement.

I would choose 70D for dualpixel video.

I own both and while the 60D is a great body I would choose the 70D hands down.

Thread Information