ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Wink Speedo - love the smirk dude ;)

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Speedo - love the smirk dude ;)

Hey buddy when did you get the F5?!

An envious Nikon Samurai #4

I had you in mind when I took this! I figured you'd like it.

The F5 arrived on the 4th of January. See "You Have A Keen Eye" above for the pertinent details.

Don't be envious buddy. Good things come to those that wait. You'll get your F5 (or F6) as well as your D70 - which reminds me; I didn't buy a D70 today! ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

misanthrope

That's it!

I've had about enough of all this Nikonian noodling! It's time for a small but wholly lethal Canon family to rear its formidable head!
    This is my collection, sans everything non-Canon. I also have a Vivitar SL/220 with a 28mm, a 50mm, and a 135mm. All full-manual gear. Works great, just need to get the 220's meter repaired. Also have a Sigma 70-300 that is usually mated to a (lousy) Quantaray 2X teleconverter. Not to mention the Bogen tripod and of course my trusty camera bag...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Speedo - love the smirk dude ;)

Hey, I still didn't buy a D70 today!

Speed - I have a confession to make. Which might effect my status as a Nikon Samurai.

I don't want the F5. The F6, the F100 or the D70. Is there something wrong with me?

I want an old F3 with brassing on the edges, a dent in the prism finder and a classic Nikon prime lens stuck on the front of it. Is there something wrong with me? I sound old, or something.

Good to have my round table of Samurais to express these concerns with - phew -

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Camera Family Portrait

Here we go with some more Canon gear.

This is what I've acquired from my 2 years in photography! The 75-300mm, 50mm, and 200E are "borrowed" from my uncle.

Talking Speed - I have a confession to make

Hey, I still didn't buy a D70 today!

Speed - I have a confession to make. Which might effect my status as a Nikon Samurai.

I don't want the F5. The F6, the F100 or the D70. Is there something wrong with me?

I want an old F3 with brassing on the edges, a dent in the prism finder and a classic Nikon prime lens stuck on the front of it. Is there something wrong with me? I sound old, or something.

Good to have my round table of Samurais to express these concerns with - phew -

Rick

"I want an old F3..."

There is nothing wrong with you! You crave fine craftsmanship. And that will NOT affect your status as a Nikon Samurai - if anything, it will enhance it.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting the lastest, greatest camera out there. I bought my F5 after the F6 was announced. I bought my K1000 after I had my N80 because I wanted a fully manual camera for long night exposures (astrophotography and landscapes). If I had had the money at the time, I would have bought a Nikon FE or FEII instead of the K1000.

Good luck on getting your F3. Who knows, you may find one without brassing and without dents, and with a classic Nikon prime lens. :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Speed - I have a confession to make

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    you may find one without brassing and without dents
    Yeah, but the brassing and dents are like an old pair of jeans. It's just kinda neat - after three years my canvas Domke bag is just starting to get broken in. You can't fake it - it just happens over time. Plus he'll get it for a song! FWIW my F5 has a little dent in the prism - if that makes me cool! ;) I know the history of the camera (bought used from a friend) and I use it - it's not going in a museum!

Talking The brassing and dents

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yeah, but the brassing and dents are like an old pair of jeans. It's just kinda neat - after three years my canvas Domke bag is just starting to get broken in. You can't fake it - it just happens over time. Plus he'll get it for a song! FWIW my F5 has a little dent in the prism - if that makes me cool! ;) I know the history of the camera (bought used from a friend) and I use it - it's not going in a museum!

Show that it has been USED! I get it. :-)

I'm with you buddy, my camera's get used. They are not going to a museum. The K1000 doesn't get used as much as the others, but it's for special work (night stuff). And I still use it from time to time just because it is a manual camera.

But my N80, and now my F5 are my work horses. I almost always have one of them with me. And for special events, weddings, airshows and the like, I'll be taking them both!

Be proud of those dents, and the enevitable brassing. It's tells everyone you are a photographer, not a collector!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Re: Speed - I have a confession to make

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yeah, but the brassing and dents are like an old pair of jeans. !
    Hey just look at my Nikon F at the top of this thread and you'll get a hint of what it's been through. I don't treat any of my equipment roughly on purpose, but the whole object is to get the image sometimes the intsrument takes a beating in the process. If you could see the back of the F you would see a big dent, the result of a nearly 5 foot fall from a tripod when it was just a baby. It never missed a beat after that tumble. Just goes to show how they were made back then. I sure wouldn't want the D70 to experience the same thing. The brassing and dents are something like badges of honor (or purple hearts in some cases) that show how much they are loved and used.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My extended Canon family!

Ok, it's not totaly Canon, there are a few addopted siblings as well, but the majority is. This is pretty much everything that I carry in my Lowe Pro backpack, minus the film Rebel body, video camera and the middle sized tripod. This is more quantity than quality. I will be updating to some better lenses in the future so I can shelve the kit lenses. Fully loaded it weighs in at almost 30 pounds. There are a couple of P&S's missing but those are my girlfriends. These were shot with the Kodak P&S in the front, then I shot the Kodak with the DRebel and pasted it into the photo. The newest member of the family is the small packpack on the left in the 2nd photo. This is going to be the new home of the AE-1. That should lighten the Lowe Pro a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-famly-photo1.jpg   Camera Family Portrait-family-photo2.jpg  
    Last edited by mjs1973; 01-20-2005 at 06:28 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

misanthrope

Re: My extended Canon family!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Ok, it's not totaly Canon, there are a few addopted siblings as well, but the majority is. This is pretty much everything that I carry in my Lowe Pro backpack, minus the film Rebel body, video camera and the middle sized tripod. Fully loaded it weighs in at almost 30 pounds. There are a couple of P&S's missing but those are my girlfriends. These were shot with the Kodak P&S in the front, then I shot the Kodak with the DRebel and pasted it into the photo. The newest member of the family is the small packpack on the left in the 2nd photo. This is going to be the new home of the AE-1. That should lighten the Lowe Pro a bit.
    Nice stuff there. How do you like the vertical grip/battery pack on the Drebel?
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Ghost

Looking back, I've only had one piece of equipment that I thought of as "hot" or "sexy". A camera that I didn't even have to use to appreciate. All I needed to do was touch it's soft metal texture and curves. It was my Contax G2 which was eBay'd a few years ago. I miss that little lady sniff sniff.

I wish I didn't have to sell it but I had to fund for whatever junk came afterwards

Here's the pic for when I sold it though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-sexyg2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman
    Nice stuff there. How do you like the vertical grip/battery pack on the Drebel?

I love the vertical grip on my DRebel!! It adds a lot of weight with the 2 batteries but the all day shooting power is worth it. It can be a pain in the ass when trying to mount a large lens on a tripod tho. It could just be my cheapo wal-mart tripod tho. Last weekend I had to take the battery grip off to get a large lens to fit on my tripod. Once I took it off, I couldn't believe how tiny my DRebel felt. It didn't seem to fit in my hand anymore. So as soon as I was done shooting, I but the grip back on.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Camera Family Portraits

I'm not sure if I want to post a family portrait because I don't want to leave out my old canon FT with its breach mount 50mm and 200mm lenses. Too bad its at the folks' house and Im not going there for a while.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

This is my family of cameras.

Front row(L->R): filters: 62mm Blacks 1A, 62mm Vivtar UV Haze, 55mm Toshiba PL, 55mm Henery's 81A, 55mm Toshiba SL-1A. Behind Filters: Minolta AutoPak 460T

Middle Row(L->R): Blacks Crestline C60 flash, Minolta SRT-102 with MC Rokkor PF 1:1.7 50mm lens & Hanimex TZ1 flash, Minolta Highmatic 7s (Rokkor PF 1:1.8 f=45mm lens), Zenith-B (Helios-44-2 lens), Minolta Riva Zoom 90 (Minolta Aspherical Lens 38mm-90mm)

Back Row(L->R): Soligor Tele-Auto 1:3.5 f=200mm, Vivitar Tele-Zoom 1:3.8 85mm-205mm

Missing: Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, Ritoch Elnica
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-camera-family.jpg  
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thanks for posting it's nice to see other brands of cameras, besides or beloved Nikons or Cannons, displayed proudly.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Cool Hey Old Timer...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Here is one of Grandpa Nikon. He is a little worst for wear and hasn't been cleaned in a very long time but still has the same Nikon quality he always has.

I thought about you yesterday. Yesterday was our seventh anniverisary, so the wife and I spent the day together. We went to Greenville and had hot Krispy Kreme donoughts for breakfast, Olive Garden for lunch and did a little shopping in between.

On our way out of town we stopped by my favorite camera shop, ASAP Photo and I bought a couple of small things. I also admired their used Nikons. They have F's, FA's, FEII's, FG's, an FM 2, and some Nikkormat's, just to name the ones I remember! They even had a F3 on the counter with a manual focus 300mm f2.8. And I thought about you and your 30+ year collection of Nikons.

BTW, they also have plenty of auto cameras. N5005, N6006, N8008, N8008s, three N90's , a pair of F100's,... you get the idea.

I love going into this camera store! ;-)
    I'm sure it would be your kind of place if you lived near here.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Wink I've had about enough of all this Nikonian noodling!

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman
    I've had about enough of all this Nikonian noodling! It's time for a small but wholly lethal Canon family to rear its formidable head!
    This is my collection, sans everything non-Canon. I also have a Vivitar SL/220 with a 28mm, a 50mm, and a 135mm. All full-manual gear. Works great, just need to get the 220's meter repaired. Also have a Sigma 70-300 that is usually mated to a (lousy) Quantaray 2X teleconverter. Not to mention the Bogen tripod and of course my trusty camera bag...

Hey Outdoorsman, thanks for spelling Nikonian right! Even if you don't care for Nikon's - don't worry, there's thearapy for that. ;-)

Nice collection of gear. I have a Quantaray (made by Sigma for Ritz Camera) 70-300mm. That is a great lens for the price! It is the lens I use the most - until I get my 80-200mm f2.8. :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Michael! I'm glad you bought that backpack! It's a great little bag, isn't it?

Does your s have the cell phone holder?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Talking Just a reminder OT

What an awesome thread this is! I've enjoyed it immensely.

I just took another look at your Nikon Family - awesome. And that comes straight out of the mouth of an AVID Canon lover. However, don't tell anyone, but I just added a small Panasonic FZ3 to my equipment for a 2nd carry around camera. It's small & light, and has a very long zoom Leica lens with IS. Cool for a good price. That is......if the results are sharp!

I really enjoy seeing everyone's equipment and how much they love it.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    In the Samurai thread below I mentioned having been a Nikon shooter since 1972. I never trade or sell Nikons. So I guess I would have to be considered a collector. With little else to do this afternoon I decided to do a family portrait. It was kind of spur of the moment and I don't have a studio or studio lights or equipment but here is kind of quick and somewhat dirty image of the family all together at the kitchen table. I don't think I left any one out.

Hey Michael! I'm glad you bought that backpack! It's a great little bag, isn't it?

Does your s have the cell phone holder?

Yup, I got the cell phone holder with it!! It is a pretty nice little backpack, and for the price, you can't go wrong. I put all my old AE-1 gear in it and it fit just fine. I kind of wish that the middle divider was adjustable, but for less than $18 with shipping I'm sure not going to complain about it. The best feature for me is that it made my Lowe Pro significantly lighter! I haven't taken it anywhere yet cause I haven't done anything with film since school got out, but I'm looking forward putting it thru it's paces when the weather gets nicer. Thanks for letting us know about that pack!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Okay I found the rest of my 'family'

On the left is a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye flash, from the '50s. A garage sale buy for only 30 cents!

In the center is my Ritoch Elnica 35M. A very nice camera (garage sale $5.00), uses a Colour Rikenon 1:1.8 f=40mm lens. Very nice camera, too bad I can't get batteries for it.

And on the right is is my mom's first camera, which first belonged to her father. I don't know the model of this Agfa camera, it is similar to the Synco-Box however it isn't the syncro-box. We still have photos taken by this camera at home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-camera-family2.jpg  

Liz

Thumbs up Memories!

I had a Brownie Hawkeye Flash just like this when I was a little girl. I recall loving to take pictures.........then that faded until I "grew up" into a rather "mature" adult before I got a serious camera.

I enjoyed seeing your collection. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Okay I found the rest of my 'family'

On the left is a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye flash, from the '50s. A garage sale buy for only 30 cents!

In the center is my Ritoch Elnica 35M. A very nice camera (garage sale $5.00), uses a Colour Rikenon 1:1.8 f=40mm lens. Very nice camera, too bad I can't get batteries for it.

And on the right is is my mom's first camera, which first belonged to her father. I don't know the model of this Agfa camera, it is similar to the Synco-Box however it isn't the syncro-box. We still have photos taken by this camera at home.

A Family of One

Here is a little family portrait that I put together this afternoon. I had to do some digging in a closet to find this fellow but it was worth it. I came by this several years ago after my next door neighbor died. His son was going through his things and knew that I loved cameras. He ask if I would like an old camera of his fathers. I had no idea what he was going to bring over. I was really suprised to become the new guardian of this old warrior. My nieghbor Bill had been a photographer in the 40's and the 50's around town doing all types of photos from weddings to scenics. The Speed Graphic was state of the art back then and 4X5 negatives gave you plenty to work with. I have never shoot an image with this camera mainly because of trying to get 4x5 film and getting it processed, but I did use one just like it in college when we were shooting a magizine cover and needed a large format negitive to work with. Hope you enjoy this family picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-whole-package.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Whoa. That's so cool!

I believe my college still has some similar cameras floating around that is still used by photography students.

Re: A Family of One

That looks like a really great setup you got there OT. I have looked for gear like that on ebay but never found anything I could afford. Someday I hope to add someting like that to my collection to take out and shoot with for special events. Thanks for posting it!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information