ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Nikon Family Portrait

In the Samurai thread below I mentioned having been a Nikon shooter since 1972. I never trade or sell Nikons. So I guess I would have to be considered a collector. With little else to do this afternoon I decided to do a family portrait. It was kind of spur of the moment and I don't have a studio or studio lights or equipment but here is kind of quick and somewhat dirty image of the family all together at the kitchen table. I don't think I left any one out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-family.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Grandpa Nikon

Here is one of Grandpa Nikon. He is a little worst for wear and hasn't been cleaned in a very long time but still has the same Nikon quality he always has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-grandpa.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Nikon Family Portrait

Quite the collection! And to think there's yet another - the one you shot this with! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Quite the collection! And to think there's yet another - the one you shot this with! ;)

I wish there was another. I'm afraid the The Fuji S602Z and a little Vivitar flash did the honors on this shot. I do have a very long wish list of Nikon equipment and my birthday is not that far off so who knows there could be an addition to the family.

Nikon Samurai #13

Re: Grandpa Nikon

ever the proud "papa" and you should be wow...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Impressive Samuari !

Right On OT!
    I knew you were my kind of photographer, but your Nikon collection is very impressive!
    You are a true Nikon Samuari!
    Brian
    Nikon Samuari #2!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Impressive Samuari !

Thanks Brian. Thirty plus years of shooting Nikons will do that to you. I wish I had some longer glass to add to the family, but all I have is third party there and it is manuel. I am hoping to add a longer lense or at least 1.4 or 2 converter this summer. New galss will give me a way to get up and personal like you do on many of your excellent bike shots.

Nikon Samurai #13

Liz

Talking WOW! Nice Family Members!

Dear OT

I'm so impressed with your Nikon family! You have to feel so proud to have kept this equipment for so many years, used it well, and in tip top shape. Good for you! And thanks for sharing it with all of us.

I have an idea! Why don't you start a new thread - with the same photo attached - and address it in a way that it's an invitation for others to post their "Nikon, Canon, Whatever....Family Photo." And I'll make it a sticky. I think we had a similar thread a long time ago, but not since digital - and certainly enough time has gone by, and we have many new members - to have a brand new thread where we can get a look at what everyone has.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    In the Samurai thread below I mentioned having been a Nikon shooter since 1972. I never trade or sell Nikons. So I guess I would have to be considered a collector. With little else to do this afternoon I decided to do a family portrait. It was kind of spur of the moment and I don't have a studio or studio lights or equipment but here is kind of quick and somewhat dirty image of the family all together at the kitchen table. I don't think I left any one out.

How old is your oldest camera?

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    How old is your oldest camera?
    The oldest Nikon that I own is the Nikon F that I pictures and called Grandpa. It was purchased with the lense that in on it in the photo in the early spring on 1972. That model was one of the last F's it was soon replaced by the F2. But to answer your question the oldest camera I own is a Speed Graphic (4X5 Press Camera) given to me after my nieghbors death. He had used the camera in the 40's to do weddings and all sorts of various photography in our community. Thanks for asking.

Nikon Samurai #13

Re: WOW! Nice Family Members!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I have an idea! Why don't you start a new thread - with the same photo attached - and address it in a way that it's an invitation for others to post their "Nikon, Canon, Whatever....Family Photo." And I'll make it a sticky. I think we had a similar thread a long time ago, but not since digital - and certainly enough time has gone by, and we have many new members - to have a brand new thread where we can get a look at what everyone has.

Liz

Will Do! Nice idea.

Larry

Nikon Samurai #13

Camera Family Portraits

Liz suggested that I repost the Nikon Family portrait from below with an invitation for everyone to take and post an image of their photo equipment. If you are a Cannon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Fuji or whatever user take a pictures of your camera family and post it here. Hey doesn't even matter if you have an adopted member or two, I may even take another photo and include the old Speed Graphic and Yashica or Minolta or two. (This will give us a chance to get those third party lenses and flashes equal time too.) It would even be cool if you included yourself in the photo if you would like. I'll get us started with the image I posted earlier. Here is my Nikon Family Portrait
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-family.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Liz

Talking Re: Camera Family Portraits

Thanks Old Timer................

I think this is a wonderful idea. I loved viewing all of your photo equipment and reading about the history of some of the cameras, etc.

It will take a little time for people to set up their equipment as perfectly as you managed to do, but I know for me personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has. I don't have a lot of stuff, so in order for it to look like more, I'll try to find another camera to shoot with. Actually I had much more when I used film. Hmmmm

This is a great thread IMO.

Liz

Liz suggested that I repost the Nikon Family portrait from below with an invitation for everyone to take and post an image of their photo equipment. If you are a Cannon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Fuji or whatever user take a pictures of your camera family and post it here. Hey doesn't even matter if you have an adopted member or two, I may even take another photo and include the old Speed Graphic and Yashica or Minolta or two. (This will give us a chance to get those third party lenses and flashes equal time too.) It would even be cool if you included yourself in the photo if you would like. I'll get us started with the image I posted earlier. Here is my Nikon Family Portrait

Talking I never trade or sell Nikons.

In the Samurai thread below I mentioned having been a Nikon shooter since 1972. So I guess I would have to be considered a collector. With little else to do this afternoon I decided to do a family portrait. It was kind of spur of the moment and I don't have a studio or studio lights or equipment but here is kind of quick and somewhat dirty image of the family all together at the kitchen table. I don't think I left any one out.

As well you shouldn't! Truly an impressive collection, and a testament to your status as a Nikon Samurai!!!

Thank you for sharing this --- and humbling us younger guys.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Hey OldTimer,

Which one of the bunch is your shooter?
    If you shoot with all of them...your favourite?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Camera Family Portraits

Old Timer,

Some day I hope to have a family as beautiful as yours - sniff sniff -

That's at least - what - 4 generations?!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Camera Family Portraits

Well here is my little family, minus my vivitar vivicam 3615. I had to use that to take the family portraits. I could go over it all, but it's not really all that interesting really as my collection looks more like a rubbage sale than a photo system. I would like to give honorable mention to my copy of Photoshop7 and my 3 computers.

almo
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    Hey OldTimer,

Which one of the bunch is your shooter?
    If you shoot with all of them...your favourite?
    That's easy the new kid on the block is the man right now the D70. But as I said before this is a working collection that has seen each member of the family have it's time in the spotlight. The F was an only child until the Nikkormat with the new AI metering was introducted in the mid to late 70's and I bought it as a backup and second body. For many years I shot nothing but prime lenses so I would always carry two bodies with different lens attached to avoid missing a shot or causing a delay changing lens. As my wife got more interested in photography she started using the Nikkormat and when the FM was introduced I was on a waiting list longer than I was for the D70. I waited about 6 months for it and it became my main second body and kid shooter. The F2 came next and kind of replaced the F as the Man. Then the FE came along as I wanted to experiment with an auto exposure camera. After this purchase it was several years before I made the plunge and went to my first Auto Focus body. I had resisted several several promising Nikon models but when I saw the N80 I couldn't resist any longer and made the move. The D70 was the next step and to me the most radical change as I finally was able to go to a Nikon Digital. I don't know what is next but I do know that I would still like to shoot with the to two body format and I'm waiting to see what affordable body Nikon will introduce in the next couple of years. I may even be that I will look for a good used Pro body. Right now my main focus is in upgrading glass, going longer and wider and faster. Thanks for asking about my little family.

Nikon Samurai #13

Cool Here's My Nikon Family Portrait

Not as impressive as Old Timer's. But I started Christmas of 2001 with my N80. OT had a substaintial head start on me.

I have another camera, a Pentax K1000. I guess I need to get it out for a complete Camera Family Portrait.

BTW, this was taken with the Coolpix 5700. Self timer and a mirror, and you've got everything in the shot. Not feasible when you have as many cameras as OT, but for those with small families, something to think about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Family Portrait-f5-05-pr.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Why don't you start a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    It looks to me like the thread is started. (OK, if you're a Nikon shooter).

My collection isn't nearly as impressive as Old Timer's, but here it is.
    Hey pretty nice and I love the way you worked yourself in and solved the what do I take the picture problem with at the same time. Once you shoot with a Nikon nothing ever feel right in your hands again.

Nikon Samurai #13

Wink "Once you shoot with a Nikon..."

Hey pretty nice and I love the way you worked yourself in and solved the what do I take the picture problem with at the same time. Once you shoot with a Nikon nothing ever feel right in your hands again.

"nothing ever feels right in your hands again."

So very true! Ergonomics are a large part of why I love my Nikons. All of the pertinent controls are within easy reach, while holding the camera with a shooting grip, and they are so logically placed - to me anyway.

I've always been a big proponent of ergonomics. When newbies ask for advice, I always stress checking how the camera feels in your hand. Nikons fit my hand perfectly.

The mirror does help, but only if you have a small collection, like I do. You'd need a very large mirror to take that kind of shot with all of your Nikons! As for working myself into the photo, I'm a proud papa, like yourself. And I figure Rickster will really like the self-portrait theme as well. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Nice, Speed - so when did you get the F5??

Talking You Have A Keen Eye

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nice, Speed - so when did you get the F5??
    No wonder you are Nikon Samurai # 7!!!

I bought it on ebay, along with some lenses and other accessories, back in December. It arrived on January 4th. I was planning on doing the "I got a new (used) camera" bit, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I had all but decided to get the D70. It is the first DSLR that I've been impressed with, for the price. But all the extra's are what held me back. A couple of extra batteries, a couple of 1 GB memory cards, and I'd have to have a new computer. Our old 333MZ Pentium II does not have the speed, ram, or memory to take what I would try to cram into it.

I've wanted a F5 for some time now, and when Nikon announced the F6, I knew the supply would be shrinking. Yes, they will be availalble for years, but I decided to go ahead and get one while the getting was good.

Check out "Can you feel the texture in this" on page 2 of Chunks post "How do you feel" for my favorite shot taken with the F5 - so far. I've only put two rolls of film through it, the third roll is about half done.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...5&page=2&pp=25
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Re: You Have A Keen Eye

Liz suggested we merge the two threads, which is a good idea. I did the best I could to keep the continuity.
    Lara

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Here's My Nikon Family Portrait

Speedo - love the smirk dude ;)

Hey buddy when did you get the F5?!

An envious Nikon Samurai #4
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information