Camera around the world

Printable View

• 02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
    CLKunst
    Re: Camera around the world
    I want to be involved in this, please count me in! What a great way to connect the community! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out and make this happen.
  • 02-15-2007, 10:55 AM
    Didache
    While I can appreciate why addresses should not be posted, surely at the very least the country/state/city needs to be known simply in order to work out a route?

Do they still sell those little troll characters? They were very small and would make an ideal "gnome" to accompany the camera :D

Mike
  • 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
    Photo-John
    I think a Google map of locations is in order for this project. We need a map to show where the camera has been.

PhotographyREVIEW.com will take care of procuring a camera.
  • 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
    mjs1973
    You da man PJ!!!
  • 02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
    OBie
    What if everyone was to take at least one picture of something very common as a part of their time with the camera. Thinking very basic here - such as a tree, or an animal, or their kitchen table?

Love the troll idea.

And no putting your children in the package to go to the next person :p - I think that ought to be a rule as well.
  • 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
    Greg McCary
    I like the troll idea too. But I still like exchanging an item idea too. We are getting a lot of good ideas. So I think this will work out fine. We need to hear from someone from the land down under, where are you guys???
    Greg
  • 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    i think if there is going to be an object to travel with the camera .. that object should be included in every picture taken with the camera ... makes the person that has it think of where to put this "object"

I also agree that a list needs to be made of who - country - state - city to work up a route for the camera to travel
  • 02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I don't see why we can't do both and send two things, as long as the objects we are sending are small.

One as a gift for the person receiving the camera, and one to be included in a photo and to be sent to the next person.

I agree, I wish the object that stays with the camera had some relation to the PR web site. What about Seb's "Make it funky guy".LOL If you like him I will look for one just like it. Maybe take a picture of the "Make it funky guy" at a famous landmark at each stop...
    Greg
  • 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
    SmartWombat
    Count me in :)
  • 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Count me in :)

Count me in as well! I want to mail it to Jurgen in Austrailia!
  • 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
    Greg McCary
    Is everybody ok with Rufus Griffin being the item that stays in the box and travels the globe?
    Greg

http://www.toynk.com/catalog/family_...in_4101923.htm
  • 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM
    markfielding
    I'd be up for it but I'm a little far away over here in the land of the rising sun. If someone was willing to post it then I'd do it.
  • 02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
    Greg McCary
    We'll get it to you if you will just send it on, passing it all over the world is what it's all about...
    Greg
  • 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM
    Toot
    This sounds like fun. I just did something similar for my grandson....we sent Flat Stanley around. Any picture that was taken had to include Flat Stanley in it. Then we shipped him off to the next person. Maybe we could use a PRsymbol or something, and sign the back of it for tracking. Then ship camera and whatever off to the next person. Just my thought.
  • 02-15-2007, 05:49 PM
    OBie
    When my kids were in 2nd grade, they read a story about Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley had a horrible accident one day when a bulletin board fell on him at school. He was squashed flat. His parents decided to take advantage of his 'flatness' and mailed him all around the world to see things (since he fit into an envelope very easily).

So the students (real ones - my kids) all made Flat Stanleys and had an assignment to mail their Flat Stanley to someone far away and have that person document Flat Stanley's adventures, and then mail him back home. There would be up a map in the hallway with pins showing where all of the Flat Stanleys had been, complete with photos that the recipients had usually taken. It was always fun, and the people who received Flat Stanley for a visit loved it.

This project can be MY Flat Stanley (or Rufus, sort of).

Haha Toot - I wrote mine as yours was posted. Didn't see yours until after. LOL.
  • 02-15-2007, 05:54 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OBie
    When my kids were in 2nd grade, they read a story about Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley had a horrible accident one day when a bulletin board fell on him at school. He was squashed flat. His parents decided to take advantage of his 'flatness' and mailed him all around the world to see things (since he fit into an envelope very easily).

So the students (real ones - my kids) all made Flat Stanleys and had an assignment to mail their Flat Stanley to someone far away and have that person document Flat Stanley's adventures, and then mail him back home. There would be up a map in the hallway with pins showing where all of the Flat Stanleys had been, complete with photos that the recipients had usually taken. It was always fun, and the people who received Flat Stanley for a visit loved it.

This project can be MY Flat Stanley (or Rufus, sort of).

Haha Toot - I wrote mine as yours was posted. Didn't see yours until after. LOL.

Thanks for sharing that. That's to funny. I have never heard of Flat Stanley. Maybe a poll is in order to pick a character. We just need a couple more. This is getting fun....
    Greg
  • 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
    Toot
    LOL...OBie - photophorous got us both. It was mentioned earlier, but I was so excited that didn't read all of the posts.
  • 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM
    ken1953
    I have one more suggestion. I think we need to keep a list of who has already received the camera. The person who gets the camera adds his/her/it's name to the list before it is mailed on. This would help eliminate someone getting the camera 4 or 5 times and would assist in getting to the most people and places. The map idea is great, but an actual list would probably be more advantageous when trying to determine who has already gotten it.
    Ken
  • 02-15-2007, 09:30 PM
    I_Fly
    I'd love to participate also.

Maybe we could send one person our addresses and let him/her work the route out and pm/email everyone there designated recipient.

And I love the idea of a Flat Stanley/Troll to put in the photos.
  • 02-15-2007, 09:31 PM
    jorgemonkey
    Like PhotoJohn mentioned, we could do a map of where the camera has been. I did a map for all the people on MTBR to see where all the riders were from. Here is that map, and we could do one for the camera
  • 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM
    Rivman
    Neat idea !
    I'm up for it - just keep us posted with the details. :thumbsup:
  • 02-16-2007, 07:34 AM
    OBie
    Here's an example of Flat Stanley - at the Olympics!

http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/imag...s/olympics.htm
  • 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM
    Greg McCary
    But I can't find a Flat Stanley doll anywhere?????
    Greg
  • 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
    Toot
    1 Attachment(s)
    This ia a pictures of the Flat Stanley I used, but it doesn't have to be a Flat Stanley - just something of interest. My (early morning) suggestion would be to animate a generic camera on a tripod with blazing wheels on it....just my 2cents.
  • 02-16-2007, 09:44 AM
    gahspidy
    Count me in , Greg. Cool idea. I agree with the idea about sending the person in front of you your address and so on. Also, maybe we could include a small memo pad that each participant could sign or write their name in and maybe a brief decription or thought to go along.. If we specify an exact number of shots that each participant must take, then we will also know which images belong to whom.