ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Taking my new Panny out for a drive

I just purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 to replace my too bulky S2. I took it out for a drive today. I am trying to get used to not having a viewfinder. It's a bit hard to see detail in the screen, especially in bright light, but that's really no different than the S2s viewfinder. Having 28mm(equiv.)at the wide end is wonderful, it's really nice to have a true wide angle in a compact camera. The compact package houses a 10X Leica DC Vario-Elmar zoom lens in a package not too much larger than a Canon Elph, which is the main reason I bought the TZ3, a big zoom range in a compact body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking my new Panny out for a drive-dmc-tz3-00024.jpg   Taking my new Panny out for a drive-dmc-tz3-00047.jpg   Taking my new Panny out for a drive-dmc-tz3-00050.jpg   Taking my new Panny out for a drive-dmc-tz3-00058.jpg   Taking my new Panny out for a drive-dmc-tz3-00065.jpg  

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Taking my new Panny out for a drive

It seems your Limix is doing just fine. I agree it would be nice to have a wide angle lens on a compact camera.
    Now, Details on those planes please?
    -Bruce

Those are in Greybull, Wyoming. They are part of a parts boneyard formerly owned by Hawkins and Powers a now defunct Firefighting Air Tanker company. The town of Greybull advertises this boneyard as an aircraft museum. There is quite a bit of history there, H&P was one of the largest air tanker companies in the business. In addition to the photographed airplanes there are C-130s, a PBY, a PB-4Y, a few C-97s, and several other WWII era airplanes there on the Greybull airport. Tanker 140 is a C-119, I think the one just forward of it is a C-82 packet, and the one in the background is an Fokker F-27.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wyoming does have the landscapes to shoot and these are all nice.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the info. I'm also interested in your thoughts on that Lumix's handling and results. Seems like a handy little camera for those times when you just can't be bothered to pack anything larger. From what I see here it gets decent results, aside from the white balance seeming a wee bit cool. :thumbsup:
    -Bruce

I want to give it some more use then I will post a full review here. You are right it does seem a touch cool. So far I have been just leaving it on "i" which is intelligent ISO, I have it set to not exceed 400. I've left the WB on auto and only added some exposure compensation when the live histogram shows I need it.

You are right Frog, I am blessed with some great scenery here, I have to drive for it, my drive was about 200 miles today. I started at home and drove over the Bighorns and back on WY 14 today.

with great country lke that,the drives are well worth it for superb photo's like that,when you live on the edge of the prairies,one wishes for more hills, great location and lots of fun i see,thanks for sharing.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Thread Information