Buckle up.

Printable View

• 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
    adina
    1 Attachment(s)
    Buckle up.
    Here's my public service announcement for the year...

Your seatbelt really does work, please use it.

On Wednesday, I was on my way home, hit a patch of ice, slid into oncoming traffic. I remember thinking, "man I hope I'm in the ditch before that semi gets here". Needless to say, I wasn't. I heard a loud pop, and then found myself about 10-15 feet off the road.

Had I not been wearing my seatbelt, odds are, I wouldn't have climbed out of my car, and gone home with a ton of bruising. I did go to the hospital, and they did all the tests that they do, but was out after a few hours, and home. Uncomfortable, but home. Both my knees are bruised, worse on the left, my ribs, a little on my hips (where the seatbelt buckle is) and my left arm.

Sore, but intact.
  • 12-06-2008, 06:07 PM
    Halfmoon
    Re: Buckle up.
    Glad your alright.
  • 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM
    megan
    Holy cow. I'm glad you're in one piece.

Megan
  • 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM
    susaan
    Thank goodness you were not seriously injured,hope you recover soon !

Good advice on the seat belts....best Christmas present to our families,
    coming home in one piece !

"Lets be careful out there..."
  • 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Wow – I'm glad nothing really serious happened to you!!!:eek:

How is the driver of the semi?
  • 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM
    Tyson L. Sparks
    I am a very hardcore seat belt advocate (go figure being a fireman and all). Seat belts do save lives.

Glad to see you made it out alive and mostly unhurt.
  • 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
    jetrim
    Hope you heal up quickly, and glad to hear it wasn't worse. My dad hit a semi head-on in a VW bug, on a rainy night in the early seventies. He was also wearing his belt, and although his face got rearranged and a few broken ribs, he also lived to tell the tale, and probably wouldn't have without the seatbelt. It really is important!
  • 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
    brmill26
    Scary stuff Adina. Very glad to hear you're alright though. Best wishes on a quick resolution of the pain.
  • 12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
    Frog
    Thank God you were wearing it Adina!
    Now tell me how you had the where with all to take a picture?

edit.......I've been a believer in them since I saw the face of a guy who went through a windshield when I was 16
  • 12-07-2008, 06:40 AM
    mjs1973
    Glad to hear you're OK Adina! I hope everyone else involved is OK also.
  • 12-07-2008, 06:48 AM
    Greg McCary
    Thanks for the message Adina. I hope you recover quickly and I am glad you came out of it only sore.
  • 12-07-2008, 06:58 AM
    JamesV
    Wow, just great to hear that you made it out with only bruising. Very scary stuff this time of year.

Take care and I hope you recover quickly.

James
  • 12-07-2008, 07:16 AM
    Xia_Ke
    OUCH! Glad to hear you only had minor injuries. Could have been much worse. Take it easy and hopefully the bruises heal up quickly.

Aaron
  • 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
    ktreffin
    Glad to hear that you are OK Adina. Wrecks are scary stuff no matter how minor.

I would also like to second what Adina and Tyson have said. I am also a Firefighter / Paramedic and see almost on a daily basis what seat belts do. I know that some think that they are a pain, but the fact is they do save lives.

It always amazes me seeing how many people don't wear them, and unfortunately don't make their kids wear them either.....

Get some rest Adina, hope you feel better soon.

Ken
  • 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM
    I_Fly
    Wow. Glad you're ok. There was a huge potential for it to be much worse!
  • 12-07-2008, 09:29 AM
    retroactiv
    That was a nasty wreck thank God that you came out with only bruising, I know that I've seen cars that don't even look as banged up as yours that people had severe injuries or even died. Like I said God had your back on that day and helped you through
  • 12-07-2008, 05:27 PM
    drg
    Lucky Lady!

Very glad you walked away.

Seatbelts are an absolute, they also make airbags work and not injure you worse.

Been there, smashed a few and survived. Seatbelts were the reason!

So sorry you (or anyone else) has to go through this.

Here's wishing this is your absolute worst Holiday problem and that rest is joyful and memorable for the best reasons!
  • 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
    readingr
    I am so please that your safe. My first thought was for your family especially around this time of year.

I hope the girls are making a fuss of you.

Bets wishes for a quick recovery.

Roger
  • 12-08-2008, 07:13 AM
    Old Timer
    So glad thing turned out he way they did. From the looks of that car it could have been much much worse.
  • 12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
    adina
    thanks...

the photo was from the next day when we went to get our stuff out, after they had cleaned up as much as they could. The polariod the emt's took is scanned onto the other computer, will see if I can get that over here..

The semi driver was fine, shaken up but uninjured. He was a bit concerned he had killed me....my car took his front passenger tire almost all the way off.

It amazes me to see people driving with thier kids bouncing around in back, it takes two seconds to click them in.
  • 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
    Lori11
    OMG, I am so glad you are not hurt worse! No ice here but we have semi's and tree's. Sure they are (seatbelts) uncomfortable, but whats worse, a body cast or a grieving family.
    The seatbelts law here seems to be the one most broken :(
    Thanks for buckling up Adina :)
  • 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
    Dylan8i
    Wow glad to hear your alright.

i always wear (and did as a kid) my seat belt, and when i got my car (convertable) its even more important!

ive also learned to not risk it, because the 10 seconds you save (even 10 mins, or to avoid the trip to the store when its snowing out etc) is not worth the hassel of injuries, and insurance and new cars and what not.
  • 12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
    JETA
    This is so dang scary.

We all wear seatbelts when we are in the car.

I'm sorry you are so bruised, but thankful it wasn't worse. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
    SmartWombat
    Glad you're out of it with just bruises.
    Tangling with a semi in any other vehicle isn't good news.

I too have seen the family cars with kids on the loose in the back, or babies on mum's lap, or even roaming pets.

A friend of mine has a seatbelt for his dog. Partly to prevent him getting hit by flying dog, partly to stop the dog running out in the road, if the worst happens.

Best wishes for your recovery, hope you're not sore for Christmas.
  • 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drg
    Seatbelts are an absolute, they also make airbags work and not injure you worse.

Definitely - glad you're OK!