Breaking the rules

Printable View

• 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
    stripesnspots
    1 Attachment(s)
    Breaking the rules
    Late one afternoon I noticed the sun was a little orange ball surrounded by a halo of haze. It looked really neat so I decided to take a picture of it. I forgot about not metering with the sun in the picture and when I realized what I had done a few hours later I was disappointed. However, when I got my film developed the picture turned out, albeit strangely...
  • 07-21-2004, 07:06 PM
    Outdoorsman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stripesnspots
    Late one afternoon I noticed the sun was a little orange ball surrounded by a halo of haze. It looked really neat so I decided to take a picture of it. I forgot about not metering with the sun in the picture and when I realized what I had done a few hours later I was disappointed. However, when I got my film developed the picture turned out, albeit strangely...

What is the haze? Smoke? It reminds me of a couple years back when the Biscuit Fire was burning in Southern Oregon and Nor. Cal. The southern edge of the fire was only about a 20-minute drive from my house. There was so much smoke from the fire, it reached for miles out to sea. I took a few pics like this one, but they didn't really work out. And since it was literally raining ash for weeks, I didn't spend a lot of time outside with the camera!
    This almost works for me; the haze on the left half of the frame is distracting, but still, it's not often we get to see the sun blocked out by huge clouds of smoke. Pretty cool!
  • 07-22-2004, 04:29 AM
    Charles Hess
    Interesting shot that would be a nice, abstracty-looking photo if the odd blotches in the sky were softened, perhaps with a software like NeatImage. I do like the haze around the sun.
  • 07-22-2004, 08:22 AM
    stripesnspots
    Actually, the sky was bright blue when I took the picture. The odd blotches on the left side are leaves from a tree. I thought the green of the trees would make a nice frame for the blue sky and orange sun. I learn something new every day!