ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Black Friday +1

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Black Friday +1

Just wondering if anyone was able to capitalize on any photography equipment sales during these 3 days.

I saw some pretty significant sales/rebates being offered including Canons Rebel XTi's and Nikons. Pretty unique in retail as DSLRs typically are excluded from general "sales events" - aside from the OEM rebates.

Prices for digital point and shoots seem to be coming down so fast and erratically that it's difficult to know if you are getting the best deal possible (at that time). I guess if it makes your eyes bug out and want to wrestle your aunt over it then you should feel that you got a good deal

I have yet to make it out at 5:00am to go shopping - this year included. Just went to the office instead.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Black Friday +1

A coworker's brother went looking for a particular camera for her... the camera was advertised at some amazing price, but somehow, no one ended up buying the actual camera. Bait and Switch was alive and well....

If anyone sees a Canon 600mm f/4 prime @ 90% off, please send me a PM

Megan - yeah, I imagine that one has to wonder about that little print that says "limit X per store". I can see managers scrambling to hide their real inventories and store associates shrugging their shoulders once the flood gates open.

Copy - Odd Lots had them. Stacked in the shape of a pyramid to the right as you enter.

See my website HERE.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I didn't even look through all the Black Friday adds this year to see what the big deals were. I also went to the office. I did stop at a local book store after work tho, and picked up a book I have been looking for. None of the big chain stores had it, and if I ordered in online, there was a good chance I wasn't going to get in time for Christmas. I was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes, and I was the only person in the store.

I did go to a camera store yesterday to look at bags. They were pretty busy, but I had the bag section to myself which was nice. I found a bag I really liked, but they were $50 more than B&H. I would love to support a local merchant because the store owner is very nice, and very helpful, but $50 is a big chunck of change.

I also visited a new retail store yesterday to pick up something for my wife. The store is called Fair Indogo and was started by a bunch of people who left the company that I work for, including my wifes old boss and many of her direct coworkers. Again, I knew exactly what I wanted, and I was in and out in 5 minutes.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Michael - sounds like you knew which stores to hit and when. As for a $50 savings - that's a big chunk to save on a bag. Use it to take the Mrs. out for a dinner

Several years back my wife tried the 5:00am thing with a friend. She managed to cart a "hot toy" of the time (I don't even recall what it was now) for the kids and she was very excited with her trophy. She turned her back for only a moment to add another item to her cart, only to find that the "hot toy" had been snatched right out of the cart

She hadn't been back out on Black Friday ever since.

See my website HERE.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I found the same bag even cheaper on ebay last night, with free shipping. Amy and I did go to the city this morning and I stopped into the camera store to check things out again. I did buy a lens case from them that will attach to the bag I'm going to buy. I tried to find that same lens case at B&H last night, but I couldn't, because I wrote down the wrong item number.:mad2: They had a computer sitting there on the counter, and all the sales folks were busy, so I pulled up the B&H site, and compaired prices with what the store was asking. It was only a $4 difference, so I bought it from them. Now I'm going to go order the bag to go with it.

EDIT: I just looked up the store on ebay that I'm going to buy the bag from, and they have the same lens case for $16 less than what I just paid for it. :mad2:
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

I did my Black Friday online at slightly after midnight for electronics.Got better deals than most of my friends who were up all night in line to get in the door, or who got up a couple of hours after I went to bed! I was rested and ready for breakfast at 10am Friday, they were shot for the rest of the day.

Then again, I wasn't shopping for a big screen T.V. either. Circuit City and Office Cheapo (sorry guys, but I know too many of your corporate employees) had some great online deals on point and shoots and accessories including flash and hard drives. Those goodies will be arriving at the house or the office middle of next week. I did not venture into any retail establishment other than a grocery all four days. Yeaaahhhh!!!

Friday PM I bought a few other non-electronics things online for family and friends.

Hope every one had a good weekend!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I had a coffee and WIFI access at the mall.

I spent my weekend in the sleepy town of Coos Bay on the Oregon Coast, not much in the way of shopping frenzy.

Next year, I hope to spend Thanksgiving in the Seattle area so I can join the fray. I find it particularily amusing and usually score a few computer related items, last year I got an SD card reader for free after rebate.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thread Information